View Poll Results: Multiple Choice Poll: Check ALL that apply!

Voters
78. You may not vote on this poll
  • My GRADE for Solo: A-range (A-, A, A+)

24 30.77%
  • My GRADE for Solo: B-range

36 46.15%
  • My GRADE for Solo: C-range

11 14.10%
  • My GRADE for Solo: D-range

5 6.41%
  • My GRADE for Solo: F

3 3.85%
  • Ron Howard was a GREAT director

19 24.36%
  • Ron Howard was a GOOD director

24 30.77%
  • Ron Howard was an AVERAGE director

11 14.10%
  • Ron Howard was a POOR director

3 3.85%
  • Alden Ehrenreich was a GREAT Han Solo

11 14.10%
  • Alden Ehrenreich was a GOOD Han Solo

29 37.18%
  • Alden Ehrenreich was an AVERAGE Han Solo

14 17.95%
  • Alden Ehrenreich was a POOR Han Solo

8 10.26%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by ROM Spaceknight View Post
    -Moloch was a bizarre looking alien, and had a small - but significant - role in the beginning; I didn't think he was a throw-away character like some were making him out to be. He also seemed to speak a form of Huttese, which was a homage to the OT.

-The centipede/slug creature Lady Proxima was one of the most grotesque, disgusting SW aliens in any of the films - and I say this as a compliment. Well-done!
    Moloch and Proxima are actually the same species, believe it or not.

Side-note about Sabacc: Years ago, I remember reading an SW EU book (possibly the Han Solo/Brian Daley novel(s) Sourcebook by West End Games) which mentioned that the reason Sabacc is so difficult to play & win is that the cards have digital images imprinted on them, and the image is constantly changing - so, though you may think you have a winning card, the image may change a second later & you won't anymore; i.e., the only image that meant anything was the one that was imprinted on the card once you revealed the cards at the end, by putting them down on the table. However, they obviously discarded this "EU" version of Sabacc because it would have been to complicated to depict on screen & opted instead to have this be a more traditional card game - which was the best approach to take.
    Sabaac and its fluxing cards were actually invented for the L. Neil Smith Lando Calrissian books (which were given several Easter eggs in the movie proper), although the RPGs and other tie-ins ran with it.

The game was first canonized in the New Dawn novel and we saw a paper cards version played in the Rebels episode "Idiot's Array." According to reference materials, Han and Lando play a version called "Corellian Spike" Sabaac (which had been established before the movie was played). While not seen in the movie proper, tie-ins have established that the game uses dice and that Han used his set from the movie (and previously seen in ANH and TLJ) during that final game off camera.

The Wook claims that the digital fluxing version from Legends also exists in canon, although they cite a replica playable game deck given at a convention years ago, so I do question the validity of the source, although there's no reason that digital and paper Sabaac can't coexist.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Fantastic Member

Didn't know about Proxima & Moloch - bizarre, given that Proxima was a centipede creature & Moloch was a two-armed, two-legged bipedal creature. But, I just looked this up & Moloch was the male of the Grindalid species, while Proxima was female. To make an analogy re: Earth animals, it's kind of like the main female Queen Ant looking different & being much larger than the male worker ants. So, this makes sense in a way - LOL.

I knew about Sabacc's changing/fluxing cards first being explained in the the excellent SW EU novel Lando Calrissian and the Mindharp of Sharu (L. Neil Smith, 1983). I read all of three of the Lando novels back in the day. Though I don't think they're quite as good as the Brian Daley Han Solo novel Trilogy, they're still well-done & a nice example of the early Star Wars Expanded Universe (EU). I wish the Daley Solo & L. Neil Smith Calrissian novels would be re-released in a 3-book Hardcover editions, but so far they've only been released in the Trade Paperback format (actually, they were some Sci-fi book club individual HC's of these books back in the '80's, but they're extremely HTF & expensive these days).

Here's some more info. on Sabacc:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Sabacc
    Last edited by ROM Spaceknight; 11-15-2018 at 04:53 PM.

Didn't know about Proxima & Moloch - bizarre, given that Proxima was a centipede creature & Moloch was a two-armed, two-legged bipedal creature. But, I just looked this up & Moloch was the male of the Grindalid species, while Proxima was female. To make an analogy re: Earth animals, it's kind of like the main female Queen Ant looking different & being much larger than the male worker ants. So, this makes sense in a way - LOL.
    Yeah, the only similarity they have is getting burned by sunlight. While I can accept it, it was an odd design choice.

I knew about Sabacc's changing/fluxing cards first being explained in the the excellent SW EU novel Lando Calrissian and the Mindharp of Sharu (L. Neil Smith, 1983). I read all of three of the Lando novels back in the day. Though I don't think they're quite as good as the Brian Daley Han Solo novel Trilogy, they're still well-done & a nice example of the early Star Wars Expanded Universe (EU).
    Yeah, the Daley books are some of the best early Star Wars tie-ins (and being so self-contained still hold up even with the reboot). First time I read the Lando ones I didn't like them very much. While I still think that Smith was a little too clever by half in some ways, I was able to enjoy the irreverent tone and overarching story more on a re-read. Even if Solo did re-write Lando's backstoy too much to headcanon them into the franchise again, they're self-contained nature does make them feel timeless in a way that most of the Legends stuff doesn't.

I wish the Daley Solo & L. Neil Smith Calrissian novels would be re-released in a 3-book Hardcover editions, but so far they've only been released in the Trade Paperback format (actually, they were some Sci-fi book club individual HC's of these books back in the '80's, but they're extremely HTF & expensive these days).
    Maybe there's not enough demand for them? On the other hand, the AC Crispin Han Solo books did get a Barnes and Noble exclusive hardcover omnibus, so I suppose anything's possible.

Here's some more info. on Sabacc:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Sabacc
    That's actually where I refreshed my memory.
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Incredible Member

Default I saw finally saw Solo today.

Honestly? i don't understand the controversy around this movie. I actually had fun watching it. And I'm glad to have it in my Star Wars DVD collection.

Quote Originally Posted by Darrin Kelley View Post
    Honestly? i don't understand the controversy around this movie. I actually had fun watching it. And I'm glad to have it in my Star Wars DVD collection.
    Same here.
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

So, we will never get the end of that storyline or is that in comics or something?

Jon Kasdan has released some details on the direction Solo 2 would've taken.

It would've involved a gang war between the Hutts and Crimson Dawn, which I'm guessing probably would've ended with the Dawn defeated, Maul getting stuck on Malachor and Jabba becoming a big deal.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Man, that sounds pretty awesome.

Extraordinary Member Derek Metaltron's Avatar

It really annoys me that Disney seems to be acting like the anthology movies are to blame when they were both arguably a lot better received than the two new trilogy films overall.

Hopefully elements of what was planned for Solo 2 could make their way into a mini series on Disney Plus with some of the cast, similar to what we’re getting with Cassian Andor. Would love to see a Qi’ra series with Emilia Clarke exploring more about Crimson Dawn and having Maul for a couple episodes.

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Metaltron View Post
    It really annoys me that Disney seems to be acting like the anthology movies are to blame when they were both arguably a lot better received than the two new trilogy films overall.
    How do you figure that? Both TFA and TLJ got better reviews overall and made more money (if I recall correctly).

Hopefully elements of what was planned for Solo 2 could make their way into a mini series on Disney Plus with some of the cast, similar to what we’re getting with Cassian Andor. Would love to see a Qi’ra series with Emilia Clarke exploring more about Crimson Dawn and having Maul for a couple episodes.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, or a book or comic or something.
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Rogue One got pretty good reviews and box office if I recall.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    Rogue One got pretty good reviews and box office if I recall.
    True, Solo is the only true turkey to date of the four Disney-produced movies.
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

iMan 42s

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Metaltron View Post

Hopefully elements of what was planned for Solo 2 could make their way into a mini series on Disney Plus with some of the cast, similar to what we’re getting with Cassian Andor. Would love to see a Qi’ra series with Emilia Clarke exploring more about Crimson Dawn and having Maul for a couple episodes.
    It wasn't the anthology movies, it was a lot that went into why Solo ended up the way it did.

Most notably was that it was originally shot off script and that's a big problem considering how many wheels turn at once especially for Lucasfilm. You can't go off base with these scripts with few exceptions because it has to reflect marketing, and the overarching story because it's relevant to other teams. It lost money because they had to re-shoot things. They also went up against a really stacked summer movie season which included a Deadpool sequel and Avengers: Infinity War the prior month running into its own ticket sales. In an ideal world, Star Wars being a big name would've done just fine. But the deck was stacked against it from the beginning. TLJ had it group of detractors and while they hadn't been seeing it, they tried convincing others not to see Solo. You also had something of a lack of interest outright with much of the community asking for Boba Fett or a Kenobi movie and getting Han Solo. So the Solo movie was always fighting an uphill battle made worse for issues out of the production's control.

Which is a damn shame because Solo was pretty good.
    Disney reacting the way it did was because their formula worked against them. They basically hire the talent, let it do its thing, and then edit. They put a lot of faith into the people they hire and for Solo to turn out the way it did for as good as it was, it could've been spectacular. But basically everything worked against it.
    -----------------------------------
    For anyone that needs to know why OMD is awful please search the internet for Linkara' s video's specifically his One more day review or his One more day Analysis.

Count me as another one who doesn't get the animosity towards this film. It was basically made just to expand on how Han met Chewie and got the Falcon. It didn't need to be ground breaking, it just needed to be fun, and that's exactly what it was. I thought Ehrenreich did a fine job. People complaining that he's not Harrison Ford is pointless. I mean, who is? Short of doing a Marvel and digitally de-aging Ford for a whole movie, they had no choice but to re-cast.
    Currently Reading
    Immortal Hulk | Avengers | Thanos | Cosmic Ghost Rider | Darth Vader: Dark Visions | Guardians of the Galaxy | Fantastic Four
    Justice League | DCeased | The Batman Who Laughs | Green Lantern | Heroes in Crisis | Doomsday Clock | Last Knight on Earth
    Aliens: Rescue | Invisible Kingdom

iMan 42s

Quote Originally Posted by The Ozman View Post
    Count me as another one who doesn't get the animosity towards this film. It was basically made just to expand on how Han met Chewie and got the Falcon. It didn't need to be ground breaking, it just needed to be fun, and that's exactly what it was. I thought Ehrenreich did a fine job. People complaining that he's not Harrison Ford is pointless. I mean, who is? Short of doing a Marvel and digitally de-aging Ford for a whole movie, they had no choice but to re-cast.
    The part that got me in the lead up to it was people complaining they didn't get Harrison Ford and use makeup and technology to make him look younger. Star Wars has precedent for recasting characters for their younger years or otherwise when you simply can't get the others.

-Alec Guiness was dead and simply wasn't young enough to convincingly play young Obi-Wan.
    -For Anakin/Vader we've had; Hayden Chirstensen, Jake Lyod, James Earl Jones, David Prowse, Sebastian Shaw, Matt Lanter, Spencer Wilding, David Naprous, that's 8 actors who've portrayed Anakin/Vader in one form or another on screen.
    -Tarkin was portrayed without CGI in a cameo in Revenge of the Sith, we all knew it was him and Peter Cushing was dead, it was Wayne Pygram and otherwise he's portrayed by Guy Henry.
    - Chewbacca had to be recasted since Peter Mayhew was getting up there in age (though he did play the character in the Disney era), and Joonas Suutamo took over
    -Most people don't think about it, but R2D2 has been recast from Kenny Baker to Jimmy Vee

There are other examples as well, but I never understood needing Ford for it considering he was too old to be doing that, and that Star Wars definitely had a precedent for it.
    -----------------------------------
    For anyone that needs to know why OMD is awful please search the internet for Linkara' s video's specifically his One more day review or his One more day Analysis.