View Poll Results: Multiple Choice Poll: Check ALL that apply!

Voters
78. You may not vote on this poll
  • My GRADE for Solo: A-range (A-, A, A+)

24 30.77%
  • My GRADE for Solo: B-range

36 46.15%
  • My GRADE for Solo: C-range

11 14.10%
  • My GRADE for Solo: D-range

5 6.41%
  • My GRADE for Solo: F

3 3.85%
  • Ron Howard was a GREAT director

19 24.36%
  • Ron Howard was a GOOD director

24 30.77%
  • Ron Howard was an AVERAGE director

11 14.10%
  • Ron Howard was a POOR director

3 3.85%
  • Alden Ehrenreich was a GREAT Han Solo

11 14.10%
  • Alden Ehrenreich was a GOOD Han Solo

29 37.18%
  • Alden Ehrenreich was an AVERAGE Han Solo

14 17.95%
  • Alden Ehrenreich was a POOR Han Solo

8 10.26%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by C_Miller View Post
    I don't think there really is an "original" version. It be interesting to see some of the scenes, but Howard came in right before shooting was done, so nothing had gone to post yet. That means, none of the effects were added in, it wasn't edited down to be a cohesive movie and of course, Lord & Miller likely would have gone back and done some of their own reshoots as is the trend with any movie. So even though the shooting was mostly done, there likely isn't anything close to resembling a movie.
    Ya it needs work but 90% of the movie was done apparently so what I'm asking is do you think they will finish it and release it someday?

It's doubtful. To have it really be the original movie, Lord and Miller would have to come back and edit it in their vision, which I don't see happening due to burned bridges. I read an article at the time saying that they were playing it more like an improv comedy and I completely understand why. This script is BAD. I actually think Ron Howard did a lot to save the movie while not jumping off script. It's too bad he gets a bad rap these days for making boring vanilla movies. He's a really competent director who brought us Apollo 13, but I digress.

Quote Originally Posted by C_Miller View Post
    It's doubtful. To have it really be the original movie, Lord and Miller would have to come back and edit it in their vision, which I don't see happening due to burned bridges. I read an article at the time saying that they were playing it more like an improv comedy and I completely understand why. This script is BAD. I actually think Ron Howard did a lot to save the movie while not jumping off script. It's too bad he gets a bad rap these days for making boring vanilla movies. He's a really competent director who brought us Apollo 13, but I digress.
    I really don't think that you need Lord and Miller to finish it I mean it's 90% done just bring in someone to finish the 10% add the FX use stuff from Howard's solo ETC it's never going to be 100% true to there version but who cares?

Quote Originally Posted by choptop View Post
    I really don't think that you need Lord and Miller to finish it I mean it's 90% done just bring in someone to finish the 10% add the FX use stuff from Howard's solo ETC it's never going to be 100% true to there version but who cares?
    Going by the weekend opening this film is going to be lucky to break even it looks I can't see Disney investing the millions needed to finish Lord and Miller's version of the film for the small fan base who would want it.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    Going by the weekend opening this film is going to be lucky to break even it looks I can't see Disney investing the millions needed to finish Lord and Miller's version of the film for the small fan base who would want it.
    Like with Snyder's Justice League, there's simply not a big enough audience for these kind of niche projects for them to be profitable. The only reason we got Richard Donner's Superman II (or at least 75% of it) is because Warner Bros. was already negotiating with the Brando estate to use his likeness in Superman Returns. Otherwise, it simply wouldn't have happened.

If the cost of CGI goes down exponentially over the next few decades, we might see it, but Disney would not want to release another cut of a film that underperformed so a handful of nerds can armchair quarterback their decisions.

Yeah, I don't see that there's any way in hell that Disney would bother to release a Lord-Miller version of Solo.

To begin with, Disney doesn't do niche products. Unless something can potentially make TONS of money, Disney doesn't bother. Look at how they haven't even bothered to finish the DVD releases of their 80s-90s animated series. Once they released a bunch and saw they weren't selling, they pulled the plug and only did a few other releases on their website, which were only later released wide likely to get rid of leftover stock. To this day, only TaleSpin has managed to get a complete DVD release of all episodes.

It's also why Disney has stopped producing 3D versions of most of their movies on Blu-Ray in the US. Just not enough of an audience. Big enough for most other companies, but not Disney. Disney generally has not self-produced comics of their Duck/Mouse characters for the same reason.

Going back to Solo, I don't see why Disney would bother to release a second version of a movie that is underperforming especially when the directors of the other version were fired because management brass didn't like what they were doing. How exactly do you market that? "You know that Solo movie that you didn't see? Buy this other version that's so bad that we didn't bother to finish it."
    Last edited by Comic-Reader Lad; 05-28-2018 at 11:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Comic-Reader Lad View Post
    A lot of you gave the movie an A-range grade, but also gave Alden Ehrenreich a "Poor" rating as Han Solo. That's kind of interesting.

In other news, the new box office projections for the 4-day weekend have been cut dramatically: from $170 million all the way down to $114 million.

That's somewhat better than Justice League's $101 million after 4 days, but JL did not debut during a 4-day holiday weekend and being in the same ballpark as JL is not exactly what Disney had in mind, I would guess.

There were some early articles that said that according to "inside sources," Disney was expecting this to be a loss and to have a big write down. I dismissed that as idle Internet gossip, but perhaps it will turn out true after all.

It seems to be a shame as a lot of you seemed to enjoy it and were even a bit surprised as to how well it turned out.

As far as the general audience is concerned, however, Solo has an RT critics' score of 71%, but only a 57% audience RT score. Does that seem surprising based on what you felt and heard from people who saw it?
    Well, we now have newer box office estimates that show that even the $114 million was too optimistic.

Latest estimates released today show the 4-day weekend coming in at $103 million, which really does put Solo squarely at Justice League levels in terms of 4-day box office.

Interestingly enough, both movies had similar problems with director changes and massive reshoots. However, I wonder if having so many blockbusters to market in such a short period of time (Last Jedi, Black Panther, Avengers, Solo) just took its toll on Disney's marketing department. People have noticed that the campaign for Solo didn't flow well -- too little at the beginning then playing catchup right before release.

Disney has all the top movies these days, but as a company, I don't think they are the same size as Warners in terms of the size of its staff. Disney only released 8 movies in 2017 compared to Warners 18, so it would seem Warners would have a bigger staff on hand. Maybe Disney simply doesn't have the marketing staff that it needs to give proper attention to so many of these blockbusters in such a compressed time period.
    Last edited by Comic-Reader Lad; 05-28-2018 at 11:28 AM.

Astonishing Member mathew101281's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Comic-Reader Lad View Post
    Well, we now have newer box office estimates that show that even the $114 million was too optimistic.

Latest estimates released today show the 4-day weekend coming in at $103 million, which really does put Solo squarely at Justice League levels in terms of 4-day box office.

Interestingly enough, both movies had similar problems with director changes and massive reshoots. However, I wonder if having so many blockbusters to market in such a short period of time (Last Jedi, Black Panther, Avengers, Solo) just took its toll on Disney's marketing department. People have noticed that the campaign for Solo didn't flow well -- too little at the beginning then playing catchup right before release.

Disney has all the top movies these days, but as a company, I don't think they are the same size as Warners in terms of the size of its staff. Disney only released 8 movies in 2017 compared to Warners 18, so it would seem Warners would have a bigger staff on hand. Maybe Disney simply doesn't have the marketing staff that it needs to give proper attention to so many of these blockbusters in such a compressed time period.
    Having a creative brain trust that is in open conflict with the fan base didn't help either. I continue maintain that the open negativity on the web can and does effect box office. Between, Ghostbusters, The DCU and now Solo their seems to be a pattern developing. Can anyone name a movie that was going through a fan backlash that actually did well in spite of it?
    Last edited by mathew101281; 05-28-2018 at 02:41 PM.

The Biggest Moment that I liked was Maul.

Beckett, Qi Ra, Chewie and Lando carried the film

Liked the ending of the Kessel Run (12 Parsecs if you round down) but not the Run itself

Overall: I’d give it a C. I’d rather have a Lando or Maul/Qi Ra movie then Solo 2
    Last edited by Denirac; 05-28-2018 at 03:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Denirac View Post

Liked the ending of the Kessel Run (12 Parsecs if you round down) but not the Run itself

Overall: I’d give it a C. I’d rather have a Lando or Maul/Qi Ra movie then Solo 2
    That was the only part of the movie I laughed. (Well laughed at what they intended me to laugh at) The funniest part was Darth Maul turning on his lightsaber and turning it off just to have a lightsaber in the movie. That was priceless.

Quote Originally Posted by Denirac View Post

I agree about the Kessel Run. I always imagined he was able to do the run because of his great flying capabilities and the speed of his ship, not because he souped up his rocket fuel.
    I think restorative nostalgia is the number one issue with comic book fans.
    A fine distinction between two types of Nostalgia:

Reflective Nostalgia allows us to savor our memories but accepts that they are in the past
    Restorative Nostalgia pushes back against the here and now, keeping us stuck trying to relive our glory days.

Extraordinary Member Derek Metaltron's Avatar

So Qi'ra and Maul are Rey's parents then, if I can gather the latest fan theory up?

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=Half+in+th...ai=MmPPxQnaGDY

though they got lando wrong. he is robosexual (futurama canon!), not pansexual.
    not a mention of the helmet beckett wears, i am slightly disappointed
    I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

I want a Ron Howard directed Lando movie staring Donald Glover or pretty much any Ron Howard Star Wars movie.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    I want a Ron Howard directed Lando movie staring Donald Glover or pretty much any Ron Howard Star Wars movie.
    did you watch solo thinking, oh! that is howard! that was lord maybe. i don t get it
    I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.