View Poll Results: Multiple Choice Poll: Check ALL that apply!

Voters
78. You may not vote on this poll
  • My GRADE for Solo: A-range (A-, A, A+)

24 30.77%
  • My GRADE for Solo: B-range

36 46.15%
  • My GRADE for Solo: C-range

11 14.10%
  • My GRADE for Solo: D-range

5 6.41%
  • My GRADE for Solo: F

3 3.85%
  • Ron Howard was a GREAT director

19 24.36%
  • Ron Howard was a GOOD director

24 30.77%
  • Ron Howard was an AVERAGE director

11 14.10%
  • Ron Howard was a POOR director

3 3.85%
  • Alden Ehrenreich was a GREAT Han Solo

11 14.10%
  • Alden Ehrenreich was a GOOD Han Solo

29 37.18%
  • Alden Ehrenreich was an AVERAGE Han Solo

14 17.95%
  • Alden Ehrenreich was a POOR Han Solo

8 10.26%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Default SOLO: A STAR WARS STORY (Spoilers)

Even though Solo officially opens tomorrow, many theaters are doing the now-standard Thursday night previews. So, just an hour or two ago, Solo premiered.

I'm still on the fence as to whether to see it in theaters or wait until the Blu-Ray/streaming, so I decided to start the thread now to get a consensus of opinion about the movie from those who will see it tonight.

I've also included a poll so that we can all clearly see what the reactions are because there has been so much press about the behind the scenes stuff going on: directors being fired, Ron Howard stepping in to reshoot about 70% of the movie, Alden Ehrenreich's acting ability, etc. The poll is MULTIPLE CHOICE, so it will allow you to select ALL the options that you agree with.

For those who are not seeing it tonight, are you planning on seeing it at all or are you going to streamwait?

BANNED

Solo is the first movie since Iron Man that I will be willing to pay theater prices for.

Spectacular Member

Now THAT was a Star Wars movie!

Thank you Mr. Ron Howard. I faced a tough time after the last SW movie...felt let-down by something that has been with me for 40 years. I know it's just a movie. But that's what I felt. Like SW no longer wants to "get" me or what makes a movie a "star wars movie".

Well...all you who felt similarly, go see this. You will be so damn happy. Disney will learn from this movie and the fantastic reaction it gets from actual attending, ticket-paying Star Wars fans.

I watch the TV shows but the friend with me thought the cameo was a WTF.

The cameo is one of the first moments I can think of that will officially confuse people who don't follow anything other than the movies, maybe not the best film making choice but given that I've always loved the expanded universe I'm fine with it.

Movie was much better than I thought it had any right to be and I really enjoyed it

First Ehrenreich was decent, with all the doubts he brought in that's a win, don't think there was ever going to be an actor that would really feel or look like a young Harrison Ford but he seemed to pull off the attitude and body language adequately
    Glover was great, while his look might not have been perfect he pulled off a great young Billy Dee Williams
    Woody was alright, by no means an especially strong performance by him though
    Everyone else filled their roles even if they weren't much to write home about, honestly liked the multi armed alien despite how short his role was

It looked fantastic, this is what the damn prequels should have looked like, it looked like Star Wars except older I think is the word I want to use, visually it's a good film for imax imo
    Train heist and the Kessel run were fun, good sequences, actual Kessel heist part was kinda meh
    I really enjoyed how the Kessel run looked, a lot of EU writers tried to do something with it(common depiction was that it was a cluster of black holes) and I liked this one better, also it can put to bed the Parsec thing once and for all
    I could nitpick a lot but overall again I thought it was really fun
    Last edited by Hiromi; 05-24-2018 at 11:00 PM.

Extraordinary Member

This is the first Star Wars film I really have no interest in seeing. And I've seen every single one that's been released in my lifetime in theaters including the New Hope re release in the 90's.

i was also pleasently surprised about how much i liked it and how they handled most things.
    really wished, they´d had lando disappear and leave the falcon ownership for the next movie.
    them getting the falcon, everything conveniently falling into places, yadda yabba, han and chewie getting the falcon upgrade later would have been a pleasent surprise.
    but it was decently handled
    (watching lando i had to think of this all the time:

)

obvious nitpicks are of course "omg he is holding...", that helmet and the line about being a good fighter and leader directly stolen from leia.

where his name comes from was also quirky, but i liked han being a working class family kid. he remembers his father and his job, but not his last name? why didn´t he go by another name after deserting the imperial navy?

not sure what to think of the big spoiler yet
    thinking about it, the aura sing name drop earlier was a first hint that such a thing might happen

and also

loved the lando diaries
    approved by zapp brannigan
    Last edited by abulafia; 05-25-2018 at 10:01 AM.
    I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

I honestly hope that this is a pure standalone, so I'm glad it ended with the Falcon

Now if we get a series of mostly unconnected standalone movies but with one thread tying them together(namely spoilers:
    Darth Maul
    end of spoilers and his organization) I wouldn't mind that at all

Saw it yesterday. And it's good.

Not as epically, mind-blowingly good as TFA or TLJ, but still very good. Really it's just a quick, fun, throwaway runaround with some cool action scenes and a likeable, almost convincing lead. (I mean almost convincing in relation to thinking of this Han as the same Han we see later. Ehrenreich's performance is great in itself).
    "The rules of regeneration are known!"

"Sorry, what did you say? Did you mention the rules? Now, listen. A bit of advice: tell me the truth if you think you know it,
    lay down the law if you're feeling brave, but never ever tell me the rules!!"

Here's a review for Solo: A Star Wars Story I wrote up. And if there's one thing that I can best sum up about the movie, it's that it's very fun, but (ironically) very episodic. As I talk in the review itself, it felt like I was watching a condensed version of a big budget television series. Still, I enjoyed it.

Stillanerd Reviews: Solo: A Star Wars Story (2018) review
    Last edited by stillanerd; 05-25-2018 at 10:07 AM.
    --Mike McNulty, a.k.a. Stillanerd. Contributor for Bam Smack Pow! and Viral Hare
    Previous Articles for Whatever A Spider Can.
    Previous Articles for Spider-Man Crawlspace.

Don't ever take a fence down until you know the reason why it was put up.--G.K. Chesterton

Mighty Member

So, yeah. This is a thing that happened now. And hey, it wasn't a total trainwreck, which the behind the scenes stuff might have led everyone to believe it was destined to be. But was it any good?

Sort of. It's fun, if somewhat mindless. It's beautiful in it's way. The world building is divine, the costuming top notch. Everything FEELS like it belongs in Star Wars, visually. The action is pretty good and not difficult to follow. The Empire isn't actually the villain, for once, which is refreshing. Woody Harrelson was good. Very much what you're expecting from his performance. And Donald Glover is a revelation. He channels Billy Dee at moments, but then very much makes the role his own in others. I would totally pay money for a Chronicles of Lando picture after seeing this. Chewbacca is well handled, for the most part.

But it's not without problems. The plot is cookie cutter, and utterly, soullessly predictable. Dryden Vos, while played with gleeful malice by Paul Bettany, is a one note joke of a character. Qi'ra is a complete waste of screentime, she's a plot MacGuffin given dialogue. Which is a shame because Emilia Clarke really tries to imbue the character with some vitality and agency. There just isn't anything there to work with. The film really does feel like a series of vignettes strung together hamfistedly, with only the most barebones of logic for A to follow from B. And the film is far, far too concerned with geeking out on Star Wars facts and trivia fanwank. It actually hurts the film, dragging down the dialogue. Also, the Kessel Run felt entirely like the worst technobabble episodes of Star Trek. Not at all a triumphant moment as much as "Well, we have to write our way out of this somehow... how about somebody does something technological looking and says some gobbledygook and we call it a day?"

Alden Ehrenreich is a passable lead, if more than a bit wooden. But it felt at times like he was cast to play a more a slapstick comedy role than the conflicted, often contradictory drama necessitated by Han. Not all of which is his fault, certainly. The writing wants Han to be much more of the hero, which undercuts the character's arc from Star Wars. This version of Han would never just take his payment and try to run away from Yavin. Though, considering they clearly built this movie for sequels, they could always explore Han falling more and more into the Beckett style criminal there, should they get made.

Largely forgettable, but fun. Call it a B-, maybe a C+ (I voted C range in the poll). This biggest takeaway from Solo is that all bets are now off on character appearances. That they went outside the films and included material from the cartoons means that all the animated and comic expanded character pools are potentially in play for future films. I never would have thought there was a prayer for Hera, Sabine, Ahsoka, or even somebody like Sana Starros or Aphra to appear in a Star Wars film. But that has now changed. (Also, Chronicles of Lando, featuring Glover alongside L3, doing the 'sacred temple' bit from his dialogue here and featuring Aphra? Take my money now, Disney. Take my money now.)

Extraordinary Member

Is that a sequel set-up or Obi-wan?

Regarding the toon tie-in, remember Rogue One had multiple references to Rebels, including an appearance by Chopper. Nothing really major or super-relevant to the plot though.

Although, the concept of the Death Star and lightsabers being powered by crystals was also something from the expanded media, and eventually 'canonized' by Clone Wars and rebels. In fact there's an unfinished Clone Wars arc about it (Which is still canon).
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    Regarding the toon tie-in, remember Rogue One had multiple references to Rebels, including an appearance by Chopper. Nothing really major or super-relevant to the plot though.

Although, the concept of the Death Star and lightsabers being powered by crystals was also something from the expanded media, and eventually 'canonized' by Clone Wars and rebels. In fact there's an unfinished Clone Wars arc about it (Which is still canon).
    Just easter eggs and background references. Even Chopper is merely in the background. They are fun little nuggets for superfans who go looking. Nothing like what happens here, where we take a character from the cartoons and put them front and center in the film. This was designed as a part of the plot. It is fundamentally game changing. Whether or not Disney follows up in any way is the question now.

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    I watch the TV shows but the friend with me thought the cameo was a WTF.
    He shouldn't of been surprised. If it's a Ron Howard film you just know that Clint Howard will be in it.
    The Gypsies had no home. The Doors had no bass.

Does our reality determine our fiction or does our fiction determine our reality?

Whenever the question comes up about who some mysterious person is or who is behind something the answer will always be Frank Stallone.

"This isn't a locking the barn doors after the horses ran way situation this is a burn the barn down after the horses ran away situation."