View Poll Results: Multiple Choice Poll: Check ALL that apply!

Voters
78. You may not vote on this poll
  • My GRADE for Solo: A-range (A-, A, A+)

24 30.77%
  • My GRADE for Solo: B-range

36 46.15%
  • My GRADE for Solo: C-range

11 14.10%
  • My GRADE for Solo: D-range

5 6.41%
  • My GRADE for Solo: F

3 3.85%
  • Ron Howard was a GREAT director

19 24.36%
  • Ron Howard was a GOOD director

24 30.77%
  • Ron Howard was an AVERAGE director

11 14.10%
  • Ron Howard was a POOR director

3 3.85%
  • Alden Ehrenreich was a GREAT Han Solo

11 14.10%
  • Alden Ehrenreich was a GOOD Han Solo

29 37.18%
  • Alden Ehrenreich was an AVERAGE Han Solo

14 17.95%
  • Alden Ehrenreich was a POOR Han Solo

8 10.26%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

I'd say A-. Really fun movie, and it has lots of fun with the 'stars wars world' I was kinda WTF at the cameo, but in a good way.

Incredible Member

I gave it a A rating. I didn't really like The Last Jedi so I had low expectations and was really surprised.

Mighty Member

A grade for me also.

A lot of you gave the movie an A-range grade, but also gave Alden Ehrenreich a "Poor" rating as Han Solo. That's kind of interesting.

In other news, the new box office projections for the 4-day weekend have been cut dramatically: from $170 million all the way down to $114 million.

That's somewhat better than Justice League's $101 million after 4 days, but JL did not debut during a 4-day holiday weekend and being in the same ballpark as JL is not exactly what Disney had in mind, I would guess.

There were some early articles that said that according to "inside sources," Disney was expecting this to be a loss and to have a big write down. I dismissed that as idle Internet gossip, but perhaps it will turn out true after all.

It seems to be a shame as a lot of you seemed to enjoy it and were even a bit surprised as to how well it turned out.

As far as the general audience is concerned, however, Solo has an RT critics' score of 71%, but only a 57% audience RT score. Does that seem surprising based on what you felt and heard from people who saw it?

I thought this was an amazing Star Wars movie. Alden did an amazing job making Han his own, he captured a lot of the characteristics that Ford did but certainly wasn't imitating him and that really worked. Overall the cast was fantastic. I don't want to be too much of a prisoner of the moment but I would say that was either my 2nd or third favorite star wars film behind empire and a new hope. I think it sets up really well for any possible sequels( which I hope we now get). I am kinda surprised at the reaction of some at this movie, I have seen a lot of people say stuff like "was this movie necessary" or " it felt too personal for a star wars movie because the stakes were not high enough". While I agree that it had a different feel than most star wars movies and felt more like an MCU fil, I think that if Star Wars is going to keep pushing out films then we need them to evolve a bit and not always be fate of the galaxy type stories.

Movies like this really make me wonder if all the info we have nowadays on movies really damages them, if we didn't know about the director change I don't know that anyone would have noticed yet I have read alot of posts on other sites complaining about stuff like that. I also don't understand the sentiment of some that they need to boycott this movie because of the Last jedi,(a movie which I personally despise) it really confuses me why rage over the last jedi would sour people on a Han Solo movie, if anything I was more determined to go see this movie to support a Star Wars project that actually embraced the characters I like rather than essentially make a mockery of them like the last jedi did. I feel like people boycotting this movie to send a message to disney will get the opposite of what they want in that I could easily see kennedy saying something like "well solo didn't work so we should avoid characters like that and just go with our new age characters like Rose etc.."
    Last edited by regg215; 05-26-2018 at 05:18 PM.
    "You know, there are some words I've known since I was a schoolboy: "With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.. The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged"- CAPT. Picard

It was good. Very razor-focused on fan service, though. I don't really know much more about Han Solo than I did going in.

Kind of an interesting cameo, makes me want to see a movie about the Sith.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Voice of the Authorities Cleric of Hell’s Brigade's Avatar

I thought it was very good.
    Black Knight of SO
    Owner/Operator of SO’s Item/Weapon Shop
    Claimer of the original Rumbles 2,000,000th post
    CBR GM/DM

Thoroughly enjoyed the movie. It did have a slow period at one point but I was mostly entertained. No complaints. I don't get the negative vibe around this movie. It's good!

... that was awful...

I've never complained about fan service in the newer Star Wars movies but that was uncalled for. Why didn't Han join the rebellion at the end? The character in this movie would have. Maybe just my idea of what a Han movie would be is different.

iMan 42s

Really good. Not incredible, but this is entertaining and I really enjoyed seeing it. I was also a dork who got the combo at concessions that came with the Stormtrooper helmet lid. I regret nothing.

Alden surprised me. I wasn't and shouldn't be expecting older Han Solo but with this it shows a little bit of how he got there. There is enough here that made me appreciate his interactions with Luke so much more. I also appreciate just how grim everything is. It's not a happy movie but people play stuff off a little too well, and given they are a bunch of outlaws that makes some modicum of sense. It comes with the job. Also with things connecting back to the sequels is kind of nice. I really like how Han's Mudtrooper suit resembles Kylo Ren's. That would be some sort of connection to his father and all the more tragic with what he does to that helmet.

This is more a nitpick considering how much I love seeing Stormtroopers in these movies but I wish I saw more of them. Not more on screen but I would've liked seeing more of Han's actions on Mimban and what exactly got him kicked out of the flight academy. Given how Han is when he's younger I can more or less picture what it was but I still would've liked to see it. That being said I do like seeing more of a focus on the outlaws but I still would've liked to have seen those three years Han spent as a pilot and soldier.

Overall this movie as of right now gets a B+ from me. It's not perfect, but I needed some entertainment and Lucasfilm/Disney was more than happy to provide it.
    -----------------------------------
    For anyone that needs to know why OMD is awful please search the internet for Linkara' s video's specifically his One more day review or his One more day Analysis.

(Formerly ilash) Ilan Preskovsky's Avatar

You can read my full, mostly spoiler-free review here but, in short, I thought it was fun enough but largely uneccessary.
    Check out my blog, Because Everyone Else Has One, for my regularly updated movie reviews.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

I really enjoyed this movie. It just further shows me that I can not listen to critics anymore when it comes to Star Wars movies though. The same ones that blew their loads over TLJ which I hated are the same ones who were pretty meh or didn't like Solo. It tells me from. Now on I just have to see them without reading what they think.

It was fine, I guess. It's the definition of an unremarkable movie as I enjoyed myself in the theater, but upon reflection, there's really nothing to it. I don't understand Han as a character any better than I did prior to the movie as none of the choices he made re-contextualized things that we already knew about the character. While it fleshed out things we knew, there were no revelations, which IMO renders this movie somewhat pointless. If anything, it kind of ruined some things or at least made some stuff make less sense. For example, in Empire, Lando greets Han like a former best friends while implying that they hadn't seen each other since he lost the Falcon. Their portion of this movie make their scenes in Empire ring false. They don't develop the relationship that would make Han trust Lando. But that's the problem you run into with prequels.

But like I said, I did enjoy the movie in the moment. Alden Eherinrecih was pretty good in a thankless role if not a bit wooden. But to be fair, he's pretty constrained on what he can do with the character. Donald Glover was probably my favorite part, but he's naturally magnetic, so I may be pulling from that. Storywise, I think some of the fan service was my favorite part (not a good sign). It made me happy when Chewbacca joined Han at the controls of the Falcon and little moments like that. I also thought the scenes on Kessel were well done, it was a pretty exciting second act and I thought they levity with the droid rebellion landed.

Overall, while it was better than I thought it would be, a lot of my concerns rung true. It didn't leave a lasting impression due to the problem with the writers, actors, and actors not being allowed to take any risks or make more interesting choices. But, it would seem I'm in the minority with that.

I'd like to see the original version do you think they will ever release it on DVD or something?

Quote Originally Posted by choptop View Post
    I'd like to see the original version do you think they will ever release it on DVD or something?
    I don't think there really is an "original" version. It be interesting to see some of the scenes, but Howard came in right before shooting was done, so nothing had gone to post yet. That means, none of the effects were added in, it wasn't edited down to be a cohesive movie and of course, Lord & Miller likely would have gone back and done some of their own reshoots as is the trend with any movie. So even though the shooting was mostly done, there likely isn't anything close to resembling a movie.