View Poll Results: Multiple Choice Poll: Check ALL that apply!

Voters
78. You may not vote on this poll
  • My GRADE for Solo: A-range (A-, A, A+)

24 30.77%
  • My GRADE for Solo: B-range

36 46.15%
  • My GRADE for Solo: C-range

11 14.10%
  • My GRADE for Solo: D-range

5 6.41%
  • My GRADE for Solo: F

3 3.85%
  • Ron Howard was a GREAT director

19 24.36%
  • Ron Howard was a GOOD director

24 30.77%
  • Ron Howard was an AVERAGE director

11 14.10%
  • Ron Howard was a POOR director

3 3.85%
  • Alden Ehrenreich was a GREAT Han Solo

11 14.10%
  • Alden Ehrenreich was a GOOD Han Solo

29 37.18%
  • Alden Ehrenreich was an AVERAGE Han Solo

14 17.95%
  • Alden Ehrenreich was a POOR Han Solo

8 10.26%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by abulafia View Post
    did you watch solo thinking, oh! that is howard! that was lord maybe. i don t get it
    You could see his style flash through during most of the second and all of the third act. Followed the lead around, big on history, the relationships between his characters and machines designed for personal transport (We now know why the Falcon is so important), water (he used mud and lack of water here with some vapor), etc. Those things stood out. I want more!
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Mighty Member

Where do you think Solo is set in im thinking after episode 2 and the clone wars cartoon and before the end of rebels witch is set episode 3 and 4

iMan 42s

Quote Originally Posted by fin5 View Post
    Where do you think Solo is set in im thinking after episode 2 and the clone wars cartoon and before the end of rebels witch is set episode 3 and 4
    It's 10 years before ANH
    -----------------------------------
    For anyone that needs to know why OMD is awful please search the internet for Linkara' s video's specifically his One more day review or his One more day Analysis.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperiorIronman View Post
    Really good. Not incredible, but this is entertaining and I really enjoyed seeing it. I was also a dork who got the combo at concessions that came with the Stormtrooper helmet lid. I regret nothing.

Alden surprised me. I wasn't and shouldn't be expecting older Han Solo but with this it shows a little bit of how he got there. There is enough here that made me appreciate his interactions with Luke so much more. I also appreciate just how grim everything is. It's not a happy movie but people play stuff off a little too well, and given they are a bunch of outlaws that makes some modicum of sense. It comes with the job. Also with things connecting back to the sequels is kind of nice. I really like how Han's Mudtrooper suit resembles Kylo Ren's. That would be some sort of connection to his father and all the more tragic with what he does to that helmet.

This is more a nitpick considering how much I love seeing Stormtroopers in these movies but I wish I saw more of them. Not more on screen but I would've liked seeing more of Han's actions on Mimban and what exactly got him kicked out of the flight academy. Given how Han is when he's younger I can more or less picture what it was but I still would've liked to see it. That being said I do like seeing more of a focus on the outlaws but I still would've liked to have seen those three years Han spent as a pilot and soldier.

Overall this movie as of right now gets a B+ from me. It's not perfect, but I needed some entertainment and Lucasfilm/Disney was more than happy to provide it.
    I think the mudtrooper look kind of reminds me a lot of Han's brief AT-ST disquise in ROTJ. It's the same basic helmet design I think, patterned a bit after World War II tank drivers, although, although the chest armor is similar to General Veers,, and the faceplate seen on some of the troops is of course very Stormtrooperish, although with the tubes of the pilots.

In the old EU, I think Han got kicked out because he rescued Chewbacca. Obviously that's not how things went down here, if anything Chewbacca helped rescue Han this time!
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

I did like that Ron Howard kept his tradition alive and slipped his brother Clint Howard into the movie in a cameo role.

This movie gave us a John Williams written Han Solo theme finally after 40 years of not having one.

John Powell did a great job delivering it.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

I will say, I loved the Han shoots Becket scene at the end of the movie. It felt very Greedo like. Han shot first. I actually thought they might play it off later that someone else shot Becket.
    I think restorative nostalgia is the number one issue with comic book fans.
    A fine distinction between two types of Nostalgia:

Reflective Nostalgia allows us to savor our memories but accepts that they are in the past
    Restorative Nostalgia pushes back against the here and now, keeping us stuck trying to relive our glory days.

Problem with the Kessel run for me was that it kind of played like a bit too much of "The Falcon's greatest hits". The TIE fighters chasing them (and using the turret to take them on) the asteroids, about to be swallowed by a giant space monster (although it seemed like there was a little bit of TPM's sea scene here as well) and the last minute save.

Even the music was basically a medley of pretty much all the Falcon gets chased music from all the other movies.

Otherwise I mostly enjoyed the film.

BTW fellow video game fans: Was anybody else reminded of Aloy from "Horizon Zero Dawn" with Enfy's nest a little? The braided red hair, the light-up spear in particular.
    Last edited by ChrisIII; 06-01-2018 at 06:28 AM.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Quote Originally Posted by LordMikel View Post
    I will say, I loved the Han shoots Becket scene at the end of the movie. It felt very Greedo like. Han shot first. I actually thought they might play it off later that someone else shot Becket.
    Apparently the scene was a bit of an ad-lib.

He's supposed to say, "Always shoot--" *PEW*

Han: "First."

But the actor pulled the trigger right when Woody was beginning the line and they left it that way.

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    Apparently the scene was a bit of an ad-lib.

He's supposed to say, "Always shoot--" *PEW*

Han: "First."

But the actor pulled the trigger right when Woody was beginning the line and they left it that way.
    Oooooooooooooooooooh myyyyyyyyy Goooooooooooood. That would have been terrible. Glad they kept it the way it is.

Anyone. Anywhere.Anytime. Arsenal's Avatar

I really enjoyed this. Wasn't mindblowing but I wasn't expecting it to be.

Of the 4 movies that came out, this was the only one that made me want to rewatch the entire series after seeing it.

OK, now estimates for weekend 2 are available.

It's estimated that Solo will take in around $29.3 million this weekend domestically, which would bring its domestic box office to around $149 million.

In contrast, Justice League brought in about $172 million by the end of its second weekend.

For Solo to do markedly less than the universally derided Justice League is really saying something.

It just seems that there is a disconnect between people who have seen the movie and people who have not seen it in terms of their perceptions of the film because according to the poll above and the comments in this thread most of you who actually saw the movie really liked it.

It seems a shame that a lot of the behind-the-scenes stuff regarding the Star Wars franchise has hurt this movie. The combination of people's dislike of The Last Jedi plus two Star Wars movies being released 5 months apart plus negative feelings about Kathleen Kennedy have conspired to doom this movie, which, by most accounts, was a solid Star Wars movie.

The J-man

Starwars1987

surpised maul is alive

I really enjoyed Solo. I liked Alden as Han, but found that he didn't quite win me over until I saw him interacting with Chewie. I felt there was something there in the way that Alden and Joonas worked together that just clicked.

I also liked that they tied a lot of other films in, with ties to the Clone Wars in the mention of Aurra Sing and the cameo at the end, and I'm pretty sure one of the bandits with Enfys Ness was one of Saw's men. I'm looking forward to seeing what other characters will show up in the movies in the future.

Anyway, here's my full review: https://sirmarkussite.wordpress.com/...-short-review/