View Poll Results: Multiple Choice Poll: Check ALL that apply!

Voters
78. You may not vote on this poll
  • My GRADE for Solo: A-range (A-, A, A+)

24 30.77%
  • My GRADE for Solo: B-range

36 46.15%
  • My GRADE for Solo: C-range

11 14.10%
  • My GRADE for Solo: D-range

5 6.41%
  • My GRADE for Solo: F

3 3.85%
  • Ron Howard was a GREAT director

19 24.36%
  • Ron Howard was a GOOD director

24 30.77%
  • Ron Howard was an AVERAGE director

11 14.10%
  • Ron Howard was a POOR director

3 3.85%
  • Alden Ehrenreich was a GREAT Han Solo

11 14.10%
  • Alden Ehrenreich was a GOOD Han Solo

29 37.18%
  • Alden Ehrenreich was an AVERAGE Han Solo

14 17.95%
  • Alden Ehrenreich was a POOR Han Solo

8 10.26%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Astonishing Member David Walton's Avatar

SOLO is, in my opinion, the most fun of all the STAR WARS films.

I personally enjoyed it. I thought it was a lot of fun. Not sure what to think about the ending reveal though.

Quote Originally Posted by MASTER-OF-SUPRISE View Post
    I personally enjoyed it. I thought it was a lot of fun. Not sure what to think about the ending reveal though.
    Yes, I was actually confused by the Darth Maul reveal. I wondered if it was actually Maul or simply someone who looked like him. It also made me think the movie was before the prequel when he died. Not that he was somehow still alive. Although I am led to believe if I watched the cartoon, I would have known.
    I think restorative nostalgia is the number one issue with comic book fans.
    A fine distinction between two types of Nostalgia:

Reflective Nostalgia allows us to savor our memories but accepts that they are in the past
    Restorative Nostalgia pushes back against the here and now, keeping us stuck trying to relive our glory days.

Saw it a second time this weekend.

Really don't get why this film isn't getting more love. It should be a unifying force amongst SW fans. It doesn't reinvent the wheel--nor should it--but there are still some surprises. I love how Han loses the first Sabaac match, upending expectations. I was ready to hate "Solo" not being Han's real last name, but man it worked beautifully. No complaints. And the way Han and Chewie first met was fantastic.

I think they nailed Han's characterization perfectly, the way he's always putting all his chips on the table and sometimes it pays off and other times it blows up in his face. He alternates between sheer brilliance and dumb luck.

Quote Originally Posted by LordMikel View Post
    Yes, I was actually confused by the Darth Maul reveal. I wondered if it was actually Maul or simply someone who looked like him. It also made me think the movie was before the prequel when he died. Not that he was somehow still alive. Although I am led to believe if I watched the cartoon, I would have known.
    Yes, Maul being around and his running crime syndicate were set up in the Clone Wars show (although the connective tissue between Clone Wars/the Darth Maul: Son of Dathomir comic/Maul's role in the Ahsoka novel and his role in Solo has yet to be written).

Personally I liked the movie. I think it's the weakest of the Disney Star Wars movies to date and could've had a beefier plot, but the actors did good with what they were given and the movie knew exactly how seriously to take itself and when to have a sense of humor. Sorry to see it's underwhelming reception, whatever its flaws were, it did not deserve to be the bomb it seems like it'll be when all is said and done. (Also not looking forward to how the anti-Disney haters will use this to push their agenda.)
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

I finally got around to watching Solo: A Star Wars story.....and I liked it. I liked it alot better than my last Star Wars outing, which was the Last Jedi. The less said the better.
    I left the theater with a smile, which is saying something with Star Wars movies nowadays. The movie had it's fair share of issues, like the lackluster villain, but nothing too major that I can't over look.

It was a thrilling, fun, entertaining ride at the cinema, which is kinda what you want sometimes when you go to the movies. Even though I was excited as all get down to see the return of Ray Park as DARTH MAUL!!!!!!!!!!! I was confused though....isn't he dead by this time in the star wars universe. Solo takes place like what....a few years before A New Hope, didn't Obi Wan kill him in the Clone Wars series when they met a final time ( IN the quickest and most direct star wars fight to date).

If the powers of Disney keep messing with the timeline, Star Wars is gonna end up like the X-Men franchise. A screwy Timeline that they are forced to reboot.

It's a shame tho that Solo isn't doing well at the Box Office but I can understand why though. There seems to be alot of turmoil going about, from the Toxic Fans, to the directionless plans Disney has for the series.
    Last edited by the nomad; 06-11-2018 at 07:50 PM.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

Maul was killed in the Rebels show not Clone Wars. Rebels takes place just a little bit before Rogue One and A New Hope. Solo takes place years before Rebels.

I think Disney had plans to seed the Crimson Dawn/Darth Maul story through several films, either featuring Han or Boba Fett or Lando or all of the above.

So I fully expect he'll explain why he's alive at some point, if they continue with the anthology films.

The biggest complication I see is that he still meets his ultimate fate in other media. So I wonder if they'd re-create his final duel with Obi-Wan in live action.

Having seen the film a second time, I can say unequivocally that it still really held up.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    Having seen the film a second time, I can say unequivocally that it still really held up.
    I think it's the most fun of the SW films. Loved the entire cast, they just sold it beautifully. Right down to minor parts like the Imperial who gave Han his last name or the guards watching Chewie tear into Han for sport.

They do some interesting things, too, like having L-3 end up as part of the Millenium Falcon.

I think it was good and enjoyable, just no big Republic/Empire Jedi/Sith stuff. It was better than TLJ obviously, not sure why did it fail. Maybe TLJ's bad reputation caused it?

Quote Originally Posted by stillanerd View Post
    Here's a review for Solo: A Star Wars Story I wrote up. And if there's one thing that I can best sum up about the movie, it's that it's very fun, but (ironically) very episodic. As I talk in the review itself, it felt like I was watching a condensed version of a big budget television series. Still, I enjoyed it.

Stillanerd Reviews: Solo: A Star Wars Story (2018) review
    Fair review. I might have answers to a few questions and alternate viewpoints on certain points in your review.

-
    Finally, the Jar Jar Binks award must go to Phoebe Waller-Bridge’s L3-37...who champions droid liberation. The filmmakers do know this is Star Wars, not Blade Runner, right?
    Actually, the idea of droid's rights has been around in Star Wars since literally the very beginning, where the 1976 New Hope novelization adds a detail that Luke decided not to protest his droid's rights after the bartender ordered them out the cantina. Admittedly, it has been mostly limited to reference books, but the nature of whether droids have souls and the morality of owning them has popped up from time to time. Whether one likes L3-37's approach to it is another thing entirely.

-
    Okay, can someone explain to me what the significance of Han’s dice is? Because both The Last Jedi and this movie make a pretty dig deal out of it, but never actually explain it.
    Beyond the significance the dice in in the way Han and Qu'ira gave them back and forth, the dice were originally just a prop seen in A New Hope (Chewie bumps his head on them in the cockpit before blasting off Tattoine) that were retroactively given an explanation. The reference books The Force Awakens: The Visual Dictionary and Solo: A Star Wars Story The Offical Guide grandfather the pre-Disney, non-canon Star Wars Legends version of the dice's significance into canon; Han used them in the Sabacc game he won the Falcon from Lando in. We don't see Han actually using them in onscreen in Solo at that point, but since that game was shown in montage, it's easy to assume that it just happened offscreen.

-
    Wait? The Star Wars galaxy has Battlebots?
    Older than you think. The 197_ (non-canon) novel Han Solo at Stars' End (the second original novel written for the franchise), had a plot point where a droid ally of Han's finds himself roped into a droid battle match during a heist.

-
    You know somebody will create their own fan fiction of “The Calrissian Chronicles” after this.
    My memory could be bad, but from what I recall, the stories Lando is telling seem to be based on the non-canon Lando Calrissian Adventures trilogy of novels about what Lando was doing when he had the Falcon. (In fact, given that both those books and Solo showed Lando with a droid co-pilot and that Han's backstory shares all the major beats of his biography from those materials, I think somewhere down the line someone was reading stuff.)

-
    Wow! I guess I’ll have to watch both Star Wars: Clone Wars and Star Wars: Rebels cartoons considering who appears in this movie.
    Yep, the short playlist is as follows:

spoilers:
    Maul's survival was first set up in the season 3 Clone Wars episode "Witches of the Mist (itself the last part of a longer story). The episodes that he actually appeared in in the flesh (in chronological order, always a dicy thing with this show, as the official order of chronology of episodes and canon tie-ins shows) were:

- "Brothers (part 1 of 2)
    - "Revenge" (part 2 of 2)
    - "Revival" (part 1 of 4)
    - "Eminence" (part 2 of 4)
    - "Shades of Reason" (part 3 of 4)
    - "The Lawless" (part 2 of 4)

The Clone Wars' cancelation left the "Lawless" cliffhanger unresolved, however, the un-produced episodes were adapted into the comic miniseries Darth Maul: Son of Dathomir filled in this gap. It's required reading for understanding Maul's motivations in the subsequent stories. Directly after Son of Dathomir, the novel Ahsoka has a couple of flashback scenes that show what Maul did right after the comic series ended. While the bulk of the novel is not about Maul, those scenes are critical to understanding Maul's story in Rebels.

After that, there's a gap of silence until we get to Maul's cameo in Solo. Then, another five-ish years of blank space until we get to Rebels, which I'd advise watching in its entireity in order to not be lost during the Maul episodes.
    end of spoilers
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Quote Originally Posted by Slowpokeking View Post
    I think it was good and enjoyable, just no big Republic/Empire Jedi/Sith stuff. It was better than TLJ obviously, not sure why did it fail. Maybe TLJ's bad reputation caused it?
    That's my theory, a lot of the negativity created by the last jedi went on that movie. That's the problem when you release a movie per year, you don't let people calm down or give enough time for the hype to build.

Quote Originally Posted by Starter Set View Post
    That's my theory, a lot of the negativity created by the last jedi went on that movie. That's the problem when you release a movie per year, you don't let people calm down or give enough time for the hype to build.
    That's not how it works. If people were really really liking Solo, the word of mouth would've saved it. A la Wonder Woman.

The simple reason Solo is failing is not because The Last Jedi "negativity", it's not because it's a terrible movie or anything, it's because most people JUST DON'T CARE about a solo Solo movie, especially without Harrison Ford. People aren't hating on it or hating on Last Jedi(yeah, right), people are indifferent towards it.

Fun fact: The Last Jedi was leggier than Infinity War.