All-New Member

Default Is Wolverine too evil?

http://www.wolverinefiles.com/009-world-war-ii/

In this link, it says, "Logan is unquestionably involved in whole-scale slaughter of civilians and human experimentation (...) while some have suggested that Logan was under the influence of Romulus, Logan states that he is the only person still alive with knowledge of this project ('Now I’m the only one who does [know].'). And the fact that he takes his son to the caves to hide him from Romulus demonstrates that Romulus was unaware of this project and was not involved in brainwashing Logan to be a part of it."

I have also heard claims that Wolverine killed children and I have read comics where he personally tortured people.

I used to love Wolverine, but now I'm concerned, isn't it kind of unethical to read a comic that portrays Wolverine as a "hero" of sorts when he's done things like that? Also, was he really being manipulated by Romulus with the human experimentation incident?

He has been used as a weapon by others at times and killed even more than ever. He also has killed a lot of people on his own who he thought needed killing. It is a package deal.

BANNED

I don't like Wolverine, but in fairness to him about half of the Marvel Universe has been retconned to have gallons of blood on their hands at some point or another. Iron Man, Professor X, the Beast, the Scarlet Witch, Bishop, etc. Some of them put major villains to shame, deed for deed. So I wouldn't worry about the ol' Canucklehead.

Once, Long ago, Wolverine was indeed a Heroic character. He was bestial by nature and had blood on his hands. However, Wolverine believed in Xavier's Vision of a world at peace and equal rights for all. He strove to overcome his instinctual inclination towards violence. I found his struggle to master his animal nature and be a better person quite inspiring.

Well, The world turns; And blood soaked "Heroes" seem to be in demand. Back then, Wolverine was one of my favorite characters. Now, Not so much.
    Life is the algorithm through which Goddess explores the infinite possibilities of Her own existence.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Not evil enough. Headmaster Howlett? Lame.

Unfortunately they jammed so much random, uninteresting, nonsensical stuff into his past that he eventually became toxic. In the end, it's all you can do to stay far away from anything even remotely concerning Romulus.

MXAAGVNIEETRO IS RIGHT MyriVerse's Avatar

Just shows how they've utterly destroyed the character since 1993.
    f/k/a The Black Guardian
    COEXIST | NOEXIST
    ShadowcatMagikДаякѕтая Sto☈mDustMercury MonetRachelSage
    MagnetoNightcrawlerColossusRockslideBeastXavier

Fantastic Member

Yes, he is. The personification of a bully, passed off as a hero.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post

Unfortunately they jammed so much random, uninteresting, nonsensical stuff into his past that he eventually became toxic. In the end, it's all you can do to stay far away from anything even remotely concerning Romulus.
    This is my view too. In the 80s, Wolverine was part of an ongoing debate about whether heroes should kill. He was basically a heroic character who had killed and would kill when necessary. And he was interesting (as was the debate). For better or worse, the heroes should kill side won the debate and all heroes except Spider-Man were moved in that direction. Since then, Wolverine has lost his central role in a major ongoing debate while, at the same time, becoming ubiquitous and having the gaps in his backstory filled in. Moreover, while everyone else takes a step towards "heroes should kill when necessary", Wolverine has become a school teacher.

The character now is less interesting (even if you did not like him before) and because his personality is so different depending on the book that he is in he basically has no personality now. I think Marvel is smart to bench him for a minute so they can hit the reset button when he gets back.

Astonishing Member Lady Warp Spasm's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post

THIS ^^^ (just wishes we could flush everything from Origin onwards.)
    archer * magician *soldier * spy

He's definitely difficult to sympathize with at times. Evil might be pushing it, but there have been times where his humanity has undoubtedly escaped him.

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmic Spider View Post
    Back then, Wolverine was one of my favorite characters. Now, Not so much.
    Same here. Wolverine used to be one of my favorites. Now I can barely stand him...

Fantastic Member

The problem with Wolverine is Marvel trying to keep all his anti-heroic traits but playing him as a straight up hero at the same time. Someone like the Punisher is normally portrayed as skirting very very close to crossing the line into outright villainy for the most part, and certainly not an inspirational figure - several of the most moral heroes hate the guy (Daredevil, Spidey and Captain America most prominently all despise him and his methods, and vice versa.) But Wolverine despite having equally blood-stained hands and questionable methods is meant to be a pillar of the superhero community and a figurehead of mutants - despite the fact he has lead an assassination squad and killed all his own children, albeit unwittingly. He should get the Magneto treatment - he serves the greater good in his own way, but he is NOT totally pure of heart, he's NOT a nice guy - and he will cross lines others won't.

taking away the mystery of his past was a mistake. Him not knowing his past made him more interesting.

Extraordinary Member

I have not like Wolverine since the Larry Hama days.

Lame ≠ Evil
    We need better comics