Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Astonishing Member AbnormallyNormal's Avatar

Default Favorite X-artists?

I like Bill Sienkiewicz of course although he only really worked on New Mutants, and more recently I really like Chris Bachalo. Neal Adams I guess for the original run... I can't think of many other really good artists right now although I'm sure I must be missing at least another 5 or something. Obviously *not* Liefeld or Lee. In fact even thoguh as a kid Jim Lee's art seemed like the best thing ever to me, the fact I later found out he was the reason Claremont quit writing X-Men makes me never want to give him any plaudits ever for anything.

Quote Originally Posted by AbnormallyNormal View Post
    Jim Lee's art seemed like the best thing ever to me, the fact I later found out he was the reason Claremont quit writing X-Men makes me never want to give him any plaudits ever for anything.
    I never knew that Claremont quit because of Lee, is there really something behind it?

And on the topic of artists, I do like Lee, and Silvestri, and Byrne, and Smith. As for the current artists I have no favourites but I do NOT like Bachalo, I think his art is sloppy, awful, careless. Sorry if you like him.

BANNED

For me:

MARC SILVESTRI (his 80s work is the best I ever saw. His take on the X-Men are my ultimate X-Men!),

Frank Quitely (although his work for Morrison's New X-Men did not showcased his true talent)

and

Joe Madureira (before he went all manga-ish and Wolverine lost his nose!).

In no particular order:
    *Bill Sienkiewicz
    *Alan Davis
    *Sal Buscema
    *Neal Adams

I haven't read all of New Mutants yet, but I flipped through my books to when Sienkiewicz leaves, and it seems like the artist who came after him was decent as well? Seemed like he tried to keep a pretty similar style to Sienkiewicz? I am not sure, I only glanced.
    "All it takes for sexism to prosper is for good men to see nothing."

My top 5 in order:
    John Byrne
    Neal Adams
    Paul Smith
    Alan Davis
    Dave Cockrum

oh, man. How did I forget Cockrum?? And Byrne?
    "All it takes for sexism to prosper is for good men to see nothing."

John Byrne
    John Cassaday
    Frank Quitely
    Paul Smith
    Andy Kubert
    Jim Lee
    JRJR

Roughly in that order.
    I co-host a podcast about comics. Mostly it's X-Men comics of the 90's.

Billy and Dan Read Comics!

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    My top 5 in order:
    John Byrne
    Neal Adams
    Paul Smith
    Alan Davis
    Dave Cockrum
    I've been giving this some thought so my next top 5 in order:
    George Perez (X-Men Annual #3)
    Brent Anderson
    Bob McLeod
    Bill Sienkiewicz
    Jack Kirby

BANNED

Talking Happy Birthday Marc Silvestri!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenetik View Post
    MARC SILVESTRI (his 80s work is the best I ever saw. His take on the X-Men are my ultimate X-Men!)
    Agreed http://blog.gocollect.com/artist-spo...arc-silvestri/
    WATCH: Marc Silvestri Draw Wolverine

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by jdtennesse View Post
    I never knew that Claremont quit because of Lee, is there really something behind it?

And on the topic of artists, I do like Lee, and Silvestri, and Byrne, and Smith. As for the current artists I have no favourites but I do NOT like Bachalo, I think his art is sloppy, awful, careless. Sorry if you like him.
    It was during the "Image" time when the art was considered king and the artists on the book had much more pull. According to Claremont Lee was demanding certain storylines and wanted to basically have ownership over the direction of the team. Claremont left as Marvel apparently relented and was listening to him more than the writer. This, I believe, is more from Claremont's recollection than anyone but it seems accurate as all of the Image dudes had a lot of power before they left.

My favorite artists are:
    Stuart Immonen-he is my JC Penney, "I love his style".
    Alan Davis- a modern master
    Carlos Pacheco- a great stylist
    Jerome Opena/Jim Lee they tie, Opena really has not done enough X-men proper but he brought me back to X-men after 10 years (which is soon ending once again), Lee because he renewed my interest and started a 20 year obsession
    Chris Bachalo- love his dedication to the line and the fact that his style is ever adapting yet always Bachalo.

Quiet King 2 Regent Ororo RealEyesRealizeRealLies77's Avatar

.Bryan Hitch-anything the man draws is creme de la creme
    2.Oliver Coipel-His AVX parts were the only saving grace from that travesty
    3.Leinil Yu-Loved his X=men,wolverine and civil war runs.His Infinity was good just felt a lil rushed
    4.Jerome Opena-His art with Dean White colors is astonishing.Their UXF was like visual crack.
    5.Carlos Pacheco-Thought he really made his mark on his X-men Operation Zero Tolerance run
    6.Frank Quitely-classic run on New X-men
    7.Marc Silvestri-Here Comes Tomorrow was one of his best runs
    8.Chris Bachalo=Love his art but he really needs to channel his Gen X mood again,and STOP doing his own colors.
    9.Clay Mann-Age of X was just amazing and his redesigns were top notch (except storm in a bikini)
    10.Joe Mad-Flawless artistry but really tired of the late release scheduling when he's on
    11.Stuart Immonen-Has really upped his game since Fear Itself,only thing that kept me picking up ANXM

I would definitely like to see some other artists rendition of the X-men.Jae Lee,Esad Ribic,Valerio Schiti,Russel Dauterman,Adi Granov and Sara Pichelli.

Favorites are:
    Marc Silvestri
    Alan Davis
    Bill Sienkiewicz
    Mark Brooks

To be honest, I enjoy what most X-Men artists contribute to the franchise and there are very few artists that repulse me - thosee Rob Liefeld, Greg Land, Tan Eng Huat, and John Romita Jr.
    Balthier: I doubt we'll find her wanting in valor, being such an upstanding member of the insurgence.
    Ashe: Resistance.

BANNED

Jim Lee the great one.Paul Smith the smooth one.Art Adams his annuals back in the late eighties are still awesome.John Byrne. Carlos Pacheco had a small run but it looked great.Neal adams Steve Skroce on X-man.

Quote Originally Posted by REAL EYES REALIZE REAL LIES View Post
    .Bryan Hitch-anything the man draws is creme de la creme
    2.Oliver Coipel-His AVX parts were the only saving grace from that travesty
    3.Leinil Yu-Loved his X=men,wolverine and civil war runs.His Infinity was good just felt a lil rushed
    4.Jerome Opena-His art with Dean White colors is astonishing.Their UXF was like visual crack.
    5.Carlos Pacheco-Thought he really made his mark on his X-men Operation Zero Tolerance run
    6.Frank Quitely-classic run on New X-men
    8.Chris Bachalo=Love his art but he really needs to channel his Gen X mood again,and STOP doing his own colors.
    9.Clay Mann-Age of X was just amazing and his redesigns were top notch (except storm in a bikini)
    10.Joe Mad-Flawless artistry but really tired of the late release scheduling when he's on
    11.Stuart Immonen-Has really upped his game since Fear Itself,only thing that kept me picking up ANXM

I would definitely like to see some other artists rendition of the X-men.Jae Lee,Esad Ribic,Valerio Schiti,Russel Dauterman,Adi Granov and Sara Pichelli.
    Pretty much agree with this list, save for 7.Silvestri.
    I'd add Daniel Acuna as well to the mix and good call on Ribic, I always found his work visually striking and that's the sort of awesomeness I want for my X-Men. <3
    "The means are as important as the end - we have to do this right or not at all.
    Anything less negates every belief we've ever had, every sacrifice we've ever made."

"Power corrupts. Absolute power corrupts absolutely."

"No justice, no peace."

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by jdtennesse View Post
    Yes, it is confirmed by Claremont himself in interviews. In the 90s comics shifted gear from story, nuance, and continuity to financial investments. The 90s Marvel Comic management staff and editors hired artists and gave more control over the comics to them in hopes of increasing the monetary value of certain issues for speculators and short lived economic booms. This practice eventually caused Marvel comics to become bankrupt by the late 90s. That is why Marvel Comics sold the rights of the X-Men and Fantastic Four to Twentieth Century Fox. Same for Spider-Man to Sony Entertainment.

Claremont was booted for "fresh new talent."