Page 14 of 22 FirstFirst ... 4101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Tugger View Post
    How could I forget the fantastic John Romita Jr???
    JR Jr. is another one whose art was great back in the day but which I don't like now. After his nice second [third?] stint on Uncanny in the early 300s, I don't know what happened to his art.
    Quote Originally Posted by The General, JLA #38
    'Why?' Just to see the disappointment on your corn-fed, gee-whiz face, Superman. And because a great dark voice on the edge of nothing spoke to me and said you all had to die. There is no 'Why?'

Quote Originally Posted by nx01a View Post
    JR Jr. is another one whose art was great back in the day but which I don't like now. After his nice second [third?] stint on Uncanny in the early 300s, I don't know what happened to his art.

I'll agree on this too. I think ultimately, the passion of youth and trying to establish your career is more conducive to lots of creative output. Once you've 'made it', and the drudgery sets in, especially after decades and decades, it's easy enough to shift into 'good enough' mode and just get that bread. Not saying all artist get worse over time, for some it may be the exact opposite, but I can see that being a common route.
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

Extraordinary Member From The Shadows's Avatar

Bachalo's Death/early Generation X work is hyper-detailed brilliance. His later work is too cartoony combined with his obsession with putting women in miniskirts with metal studs or in outfits with necklines plunging so far past their bellybuttons that Dagger would blush. And what's that stuff that's always flying around whenever he draws fights? Ash? Snow? Mud? It's everywhere, and it's messy.
    He was a DC/Vertigo artist before he did pencils for Gen X and kept that style for most of that run but when he started drawing X-Men it had a more bubbly cartoon look. I actually didn't mind it. But what he does now lacks detail and looks rushed. I actually remember the sludge whatever it is getting tossed around even in his early work actually. That's definitely been doubled.

Carlos Pacheco

The Bishop mini was actually pretty good if I remember correctly.

BANNED

Honestly, JR jr was the only artist during Claremont's run whose art I found pretty unstable or sketchy and not suited for the type of aesthetics Cockrum, Paul or Silvestri brought to UXM.

Quote Originally Posted by From The Shadows View Post
    He was a DC/Vertigo artist before he did pencils for Gen X and kept that style for most of that run but when he started drawing X-Men it had a more bubbly cartoon look. I actually didn't mind it. But what he does now lacks detail and looks rushed. I actually remember the sludge whatever it is getting tossed around even in his early work actually. That's definitely been doubled.
    Bachalo's said in interviews that his cartoony style was influenced the manga-inspired style of Joe Mad. I went over to Wikipedia to confirm I remembered that right...
    During his time on Generation X, Bachalo's artwork underwent a change. Heavily influenced by Joe Madureira, Bachalo's characters became more cartoony and manga-like, with large eyes, heads and hands. He gravitated towards extremes in anatomy, drawing characters that were previously portrayed as bulky, short, or thin as even more so.

As for his current stuff? I dunno. He'll always have my love and respect for his early work, though. It's still beautiful. I think he needs Mark Buckingham to ink him again.
    Quote Originally Posted by The General, JLA #38
    'Why?' Just to see the disappointment on your corn-fed, gee-whiz face, Superman. And because a great dark voice on the edge of nothing spoke to me and said you all had to die. There is no 'Why?'

Jewish & Proud Feminist Shadowcat's Avatar

Top 11 X-Artists

1. Alan Davis
    2. Bill Seinkewicz
    3. Carlos Pacheco
    4. Paul Smith
    5. Art Adams
    6. Mahmud Asrar
    7. Phil Jimenez
    8. Chris Bachalo
    9. Olivier Coipel
    10. Pepe Larraz
    11. RB Silva
    Last edited by Shadowcat; 04-20-2020 at 02:21 PM.
    Comic-Watch Reviewer

Titles:
    /Doctor Strange/Captain Marvel\Scarlet Witch\
    /Iron Man/Captain Britain/Wasp\X-Men\
    /JSA\/X-Treme X-Men\/WILDCATS\

https://comic-watch.com/author/baradtzgmail-com

Bachalo's said in interviews that his cartoony style was influenced the manga-inspired style of Joe Mad. I went over to Wikipedia to confirm I remembered that right...
    During his time on Generation X, Bachalo's artwork underwent a change. Heavily influenced by Joe Madureira, Bachalo's characters became more cartoony and manga-like, with large eyes, heads and hands. He gravitated towards extremes in anatomy, drawing characters that were previously portrayed as bulky, short, or thin as even more so.

As for his current stuff? I dunno. He'll always have my love and respect for his early work, though. It's still beautiful. I think he needs Mark Buckingham to ink him again.
    Buckingham was a great inker. And I didn't know he changed his style because of artists like MAD but I had my suspicions.

Chris Bachalo,
    frank quitely,
    Jack Kirby,
    Stuart Immonen
    Jerome Opeña

Astonishing Member

Nothing beats the 1990s classic artists:

Jim Lee on X-Men
    Whilce Portacio on Uncanny X-Men
    Rob Liefeld on X-Force
    Alan Davis on Excalibur
    Marc Silvestri on Wolverine
    Mark Bagley on New Warriors

Astonishing Member

Which is odd because he went to work on Spider-Man after and it was great.

Leinil Francis Yu

My Top 3:

Marc Silvestri

Jim Lee

Jae Lee

Last edited by K7P5V; 10-16-2020 at 02:30 AM. Reason: Made Adjustments.

Quote Originally Posted by From The Shadows View Post

I remember picking up that issue specifically because of that gorgeous billowing mane.

Quote Originally Posted by K7P5V View Post
    Jae Lee
    His art was so unique in the beginning, its beautiful now but I sort of miss his older stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Fokken View Post
    I remember picking up that issue specifically because of that gorgeous billowing mane.
    I still have the series.