Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 121819202122
    Extraordinary Member From The Shadows's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Su_Whisterfield View Post
    Still doesn’t beat this one...Attachment 97808

Before Kurt Busiek's Astro City, Brent Anderson worked on UXM #144

That's what makes it fun! Ricochet Rita's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by psylurker View Post
    There's a ridiculous amount of amazing artists who have worked on the X-Men and their satellite titles but one artist in particular I don't think gets enough recognition.

Marc Silvestri had one of the longest stints on Uncanny X-Men of all time which he followed by an excellent run on Wolverine. I feel he's been a bit overshadowed by the acclaim Jim Lee rightly got immediately thereafter, but for years Silvestri produced immensely solid, exciting, sexy and expressive artwork that complemented Claremont' scripts perfectly. I don't think he gets nearly enough recognition as one of the most talented artists to ever grace the X-pages so here's to Marc.
    Quote Originally Posted by superjosh View Post
    The outback era is really when I fell in love with the X-Men. I know some people say it was the era where the comics had the least direction, but it was so much fun. Marc Silvestri's art played a huge part in that. His work was dynamic, action-packed, and everyone was so cool and looked like supermodels... a little gay boy's dream lol.

I also don't know if this was accidental, but he later gave us this incredibly homoerotic image of Wolverine when he returned for his limited New X-Men run.

I'm a heavy fan of Silvestri, I think he's a superb artist who can draw almost anything apparently without effort --precisely his sole flaw is that drawing seems so easy for him that sometimes he doesn't take enough time, so the result is too scruffy. Even his poorest works, though, are better than most of by the others, because he's a natural storyteller, nifty and expressive, master of body language. By all means, superior to Jim Lee.

Too bad, that many following artists only noticed (and clumsily imitated) his feebleness for depicting women as beautiful pin-ups.

Regarding the homoerotic picture of Wolvie, I would bet it's intentionally appealing for anyone. Silvestri's people are mostly sexy, if not exactly nor necessarily handsome, because they often have got some delightful androgyny. Longshot is probably the best example of it.

Quote Originally Posted by K7P5V View Post
    Another favorite X-artist would be...
    Jon Bogdanove

Even though his characters had a tendency to be a bit too overly-muscled during the '90s, I still found his artwork most enjoyable:

I'm also a heavy fan of Bogdanove, kind of for the same reasons as of Silvestri: fantastic drawer, eloquence, fluency... His work in X-Terminators and X-Men vs. FF is awesome. I think, though, that he's often unlucky about the inkers he's got to work with: he would probably looks much better with someone like Al Williamson.

Before Kurt Busiek's Astro City, Brent Anderson worked on UXM #144

Anderson is so damn good as a storyteller! His art, so realistic, gets to get you involved in the story.

This page is beautiful. It's probably the very start of the special relationship between Kitty and Kurt, who after some time proved to make a great team in the space against the Brood and later were inseparable in Excalibur.

Back then, Kitty still felt caution towards Kurt because of his look, which was painful for him, and this scene is one of Claremont's awesome signs of shrewdness showing how Kurt (who usually is shown as a so nice guy) is still able of some kind of cruelty, even unwillingly. Sometimes the best of us hurt because we feel hurted, and it's hard to come to terms with our guilt and embarrassment.

Astonishing Member Su_Whisterfield's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ricochet Rita View Post
    This page is beautiful. It's probably the very start of the special relationship between Kitty and Kurt, who after some time proved to make a great team in the space against the Brood and later were inseparable in Excalibur.

Back then, Kitty still felt caution towards Kurt because of his look, which was painful for him, and this scene is one of Claremont's awesome signs of shrewdness showing how Kurt (who usually is shown as a so nice guy) is still able of some kind of cruelty, even unwillingly. Sometimes the best of us hurt because we feel hurted, and it's hard to come to terms with our guilt and embarrassment.
    Doesn’t help when he has his partner in crime teasing her too, classic laddish behaviour. On his own, would he have teased her? Possibly, but he’d have been more likely to notice that she wasn’t happy. But it is good writing.

Doesn’t help when he has his partner in crime teasing her too, classic laddish behaviour. On his own, would he have teased her? Possibly, but he’d have been more likely to notice that she wasn’t happy. But it is good writing.
    Yeah, absolutely. But the Kurt we know and love wouldn't have seconded Logan in his teasing. Much to the contrary, he would have condemned his behaviour. Just his (still slightly immature) youth and the fact that he may feel a guilty resentment towards Kitty could have pushed him to mock her.

Astonishing Member Su_Whisterfield's Avatar

A
    Yeah, absolutely. But the Kurt we know and love wouldn't have seconded Logan in his teasing. Much to the contrary, he would have condemned his behaviour. Just his (still slightly immature) youth and the fact that he may feel a guilty resentment towards Kitty could have pushed him to mock her.
    And he’s only human, the nicest person sometimes gets it wrong. And he knows he did wrong and wants to make amends.

And he’s only human, the nicest person sometimes gets it wrong. And he knows he did wrong and wants to make amends.
    I love Claremont because he respected his characters enough to make them fallibles

I'm also a heavy fan of Bogdanove, kind of for the same reasons as of Silvestri: fantastic drawer, eloquence, fluency... His work in X-Terminators and X-Men vs. FF is awesome. I think, though, that he's often unlucky about the inkers he's got to work with: he would probably looks much better with someone like Al Williamson.
    Bogdanove's art-style is very unique, and I very much agree with you about his earlier work in both X-Terminators & F4 VS. X-Men.

However, all things considered, I'll always be nostalgic towards his 90's artwork (even though I still can't get over those guns "Slim" has going, LOL!)

Extraordinary Member From The Shadows's Avatar

Last edited by From The Shadows; 07-04-2020 at 10:26 PM.