Page 7 of 22 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by genki_desu View Post
    Paul Smith

Alan Davis (Let's be honest, pretty much everything about the first however many issues of Excalibur was awesome)

Whilce Portacio (I thought his run on X-Men was pretty damn good)

Marc Silvestri (More for his run on Wolverine)

Bill Sienkiewicz (Unlike most people, I preferred him when he was a slightly surrealist version of Neal Adams, as opposed to when his figures started
    to get really angular and distorted).

Tony Daniel (Loved his kinetic, sketchy, over-the-top style on X-Force)

Jim Lee (If you don't like Jim Lee's work on X-Men, I find it hard to believe that you like comic book art)

Chris Bachalo (circa Generation X #1-5 and Generation Next #1-4 - once he changed from being Bill Sienkiewicz influenced to being Joe Madureira influenced, I completely lost interest)

Jackson Guice (Very underappreciated photorealist style - just a top notch artist)

Andy Kubert (Very distinctive, slightly odd style [everyone has angular cheekbones and slightly Asian looking eyes] but Kubert does cinematic camera angles and poses better than most artists and with Matt Ryan's fine-lined, detailed inks to add some realism, his issues of X-Men were great)

Ian Churchill (Did some good issues of Deadpool and of Cable in the 1990s. Good solid, detailed linework and design).

Olivier Coipel (Quirky style, but once you get used to the way he draws faces [nose optional], probably the strongest artist to have worked on the X-Men in years. His three issues of X-Men were stunning - but three issues!!! Come on Marvel!)

Jerome Opena (His issues of X-Force were just plain gorgeous)

Stuart Imonen (His work on Superman: Secret Identity shows that he's capable of better than the work he's done in All New X-Men, but his work on ANXM was still streets ahead of most of his competitors. A real draughtsman with real talent, not just a cartoonist.)
    I think people only dislike Lee for politcal reasons (The whole Claremont drama) and Storm's ugly costume. Other than that, I don't see how in any logical way his artwork is "bad". Maybe not someone's particular taste but that doesn't count as being panned.

Clay Mann…..If we could clone him and have him draw everything I would be pleased.

That's what makes it fun! Ricochet Rita's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by genki_desu View Post
    Jackson Guice (Very underappreciated photorealist style - just a top notch artist)
    Yes, I pleasently remember his run in The New Mutants, too. But take a careful look at his work and you will notice that 50% of its quality is due to excellent Kyle Baker's ink --when Baker's off, Guice lost most of his grace.

Quote Originally Posted by Project Initiative Cascada View Post
    I think people only dislike Lee for politcal reasons (The whole Claremont drama) and Storm's ugly costume. Other than that, I don't see how in any logical way his artwork is "bad". Maybe not someone's particular taste but that doesn't count as being panned.
    I assure you that I didn't know about this dispute. I think Lee is the best of Marc Silvestri's (in general awful) disciples --quite inferior to him, though. Silvestri's got an inherent skill, glow, nimbleness, which Lee lacks, IMHO. Lee can draw beautiful posters and covers, but drawing a comic is a different thing. To me, his art is slow-moving, flamboyant, mixed-up and always identical --not to mention some anatomical mistakes. Even so, I keep saying he's the best of what came after him... XP

Quote Originally Posted by fod_xp View Post
    Yes, it is confirmed by Claremont himself in interviews. In the 90s comics shifted gear from story, nuance, and continuity to financial investments. The 90s Marvel Comic management staff and editors hired artists and gave more control over the comics to them in hopes of increasing the monetary value of certain issues for speculators and short lived economic booms. This practice eventually caused Marvel comics to become bankrupt by the late 90s. That is why Marvel Comics sold the rights of the X-Men and Fantastic Four to Twentieth Century Fox. Same for Spider-Man to Sony Entertainment.

Claremont was booted for "fresh new talent."
    Why, thank you! So I wasn't wrong nor crazy when I left: 90s Marvel sucked and there was a reason for it, a very sad reason.

One style, two ranks:

A

B

Last edited by Ricochet Rita; 07-24-2014 at 03:49 AM.

Chris Bachalo.
    Hold my Annihilus- Johnny Storm

Extraordinary Member From The Shadows's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ricochet Rita View Post

Why, thank you! So I wasn't wrong nor crazy when I left: 90s Marvel sucked and there was a reason for it, a very sad reason.
    Lol! Where have you been? This has been a strong opinion on the internet since well... the internet. ;-)

That said. I dont hate Lee's art myself and I think it had its bright spots. His imitators, however, gave him a black eye I think.

Neal Adams
    Dave Cockrum
    John Byrne
    Paul Smith
    John Romita Jr.
    Alan Davis
    Jackson Guice
    Marc Silvestri
    Art Adams
    Bob McLeod
    Bill Sienkiewicz
    Carlos Pacheco
    Salvador Laroca
    Lenil Francis Yu
    Mike Choi
    Last edited by From The Shadows; 07-24-2014 at 09:48 AM.

BANNED

Greg Land.

Top Class Breeding ;) Mr. Brightside's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by vitamin View Post
    Greg Land.
    Dat avatar is awesome.
    CANON: "Cyclops, the most important mutant in 616" - The scientific community of the 616

John Byrne - No one has done the X-Men better.

X-men2.jpg

byrne xmen.jpg

After that, David Cockrum.
    Last edited by UrsusObesus; 07-24-2014 at 10:01 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Brightside View Post
    Dat avatar is awesome.
    どうもありがとう (∩▂∩)

BANNED

Yes, I pleasently remember his run in The New Mutants, too. But take a careful look at his work and you will notice that 50% of its quality is due to excellent Kyle Baker's ink --when Baker's off, Guice lost most of his grace.

I assure you that I didn't know about this dispute. I think Lee is the best of Marc Silvestri's (in general awful) disciples --quite inferior to him, though. Silvestri's got an inherent skill, glow, nimbleness, which Lee lacks, IMHO. Lee can draw beautiful posters and covers, but drawing a comic is a different thing. To me, his art is slow-moving, flamboyant, mixed-up and always identical --not to mention some anatomical mistakes. Even so, I keep saying he's the best of what came after him... XP

What anatomical mistakes?I would really like to know.Slow moving?His stuff his packed with energy.

Quote Originally Posted by Project Initiative Cascada View Post
    I didn't know any of that when I was first introduced to his art. Gritty can be good but I thought his art was too gritty for myself.
    "My superpower? I'm irresistible to women." Gambit- ANXF #9
    Gambit's kittens: Oliver, Lucifer and Figaro: Oliver and Company.

Quote Originally Posted by doodledude View Post
    What anatomical mistakes?I would really like to know.Slow moving?His stuff his packed with energy.
    Well, I don't doubt that this Betsy is delicious as a pin-up, but nor her skeleton neither her flesh fit. Her head is too small, she hasn't got groins nor hip-bones and her thights are so big that her legs may be four torsos. And her boobs are simply impossible, not because of their size, but because of their shape --unless they're fake.

I know, I know, this is a comic-book, there's no reason at all to observe anatomical proportions. The problem is that Lee often don't keep his own proportions in the same page. And he's so anxious about spectacular art that his figures use to seem dislocated.

As for 'slow moving', maybe I chose the wrong word: I meant 'heaviness'.

That being said...I wish to apologize for any offense to Lee's fandom. I say it again: I was happy when he went into X-Men and he fascinated me like anybody else, but I was soon tired of him.

BANNED

Well, I don't doubt that this Betsy is delicious as a pin-up, but nor her skeleton neither her flesh fit. Her head is too small, she hasn't got groins nor hip-bones and her thights are so big that her legs may be four torsos. And her boobs are simply impossible, not because of their size, but because of their shape --unless they're fake.

I know, I know, this is a comic-book, there's no reason at all to observe anatomical proportions. The problem is that Lee often don't keep his own proportions in the same page. And he's so anxious about spectacular art that his figures use to seem dislocated.

As for 'slow moving', maybe I chose the wrong word: I meant 'heaviness'.

That being said...I wish to apologize for any offense to Lee's fandom. I say it again: I was happy when he went into X-Men and he fascinated me like anybody else, but I was soon tired of him.
    I simply can't see what your looking at and I have been drawing all my life.Jim Lee is a respected artist among artist good artist.Alex Ross who does most of his work from life has complemented Jim Lee's figure work and has painted over his pencils.Would not Alex Ross know if this man was creating bad art?His hands feet and expressions are all above what most artist in comics can pull off.I'm sorry but Jim Lee is the truth.You have a right to your opinion but Jim Lee draws correctly.Let's not forget the main thing an artist is supposed to do.Tell a story his storytelling is always clear and easy to follow.His anatomy and how he interprets it is why he so big.It's not his fault a whole generation of artist bit his style.
    Last edited by doodledude; 07-25-2014 at 07:01 AM.

My all time favorite is Paul Smith. I fell in love with his Rogue:

And his Maddie:

Broken English Spoken Perfectly