Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

he's certainly tightened up his pencil work. or maybe it's the inking. even Reed looks better.

Nice Issue

spoilers:
    I really loved Doom this issue and I'm not even a big fan of him. I'm enjoying his attempt at being a hero more than I though I would (when written by Zdarsky), hope it lasts at least for an arc of the new Fantastic Four.
    They took down Doomlactus faster than I thought he was there more as a way to develop the characters further, especially for 616 Doom.
    I also loved that version of Sue projecting a force field that covered and moved with giant Ben. I know she isn't 616 Sue, but it was still nice to see.
    end of spoilers
    Be sure to check out the Invisible Woman appreciation thread!

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Haven't picked mine up yet but the issue got a great review at AdventuresInPoorTaste

I liked this quote:

Is it good?
    This is a great climactic issue in the story arc, with big action and even bigger cosmic ideas. Zdarsky continues to prove his handle of these characters is excellent and, with all due respect to Dan Slott, it actually bothers me he’s not taking on the main Fantastic Four series.
    With all due respect also, I second that!

And the MTIO annual will be coming out on June 13th
    Last edited by Iron Maiden; 05-30-2018 at 10:38 AM.

I liked it.

Will discuss it when everyone will have read it.
    - To Tammy and the Blue Rose !

Very nicely written and drawn issue. The only thing I didn't like was having Emma Frost be Norrin's girlfriend and the one to basically be the hero that restarts the whole universe. I know it's an alternate universe, but knowing Emma and Norrin's personalities, I don't buy them as a couple. I would have also preferred that Norrin or at least someone with actual ties to the FF was the one who took Galactus' place. Her presence feels random. Having another character connected to the FF mythos would have given the story more weight.

BANNED

Another solid issue in a wonderful run.

The best compliment I can give D'Zarsky is that he's given Dan Slott a high bar to meet.

Unlike some, I don't wish D'Zarsky himself was writing the new FF as I fully expect Slott is gonna kill it on that title but I will say that D'Zarsky has definitely put the pressure on Slott to really bring it.

How cool is it that in a couple of months we'll have two FF titles to enjoy?

Emma Frost is tied to the Fantastic Four. she was Leech and Artie's guardian for a year or two. she's also the other blonde woman that Namor is all over like a cheap coat of paint.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    Emma Frost is tied to the Fantastic Four. she was Leech and Artie's guardian for a year or two. she's also the other blonde woman that Namor is all over like a cheap coat of paint.

Technically, almost every Marvel character has some tie to the FF. I meant someone who actually mattered to the FF mythos to give the story more weight or even just someone who had a good reason to be part of the story. Norrin would have made more sense since he already has experience using the Power Cosmic. Heck, why didn't Reed himself make the sacrifice (to help atone for his mistakes) since he helped rebuild the machine to switch Galactus' body with another and transform it into a "Lifebringer"? There was no explanation for why Emma of all people was chosen to receive Galactus' power.

Quote Originally Posted by nightw1ng View Post
    Technically, almost every Marvel character has some tie to the FF. I meant someone who actually mattered to the FF mythos to give the story more weight or even just someone who had a good reason to be part of the story. Norrin would have made more sense since he already has experience using the Power Cosmic. Heck, why didn't Reed himself make the sacrifice (to help atone for his mistakes) since he helped rebuild the machine to switch Galactus' body with another and transform it into a "Lifebringer"? There was no explanation for why Emma of all people was chosen to receive Galactus' power.
    she has hosted the phoenix force. and she's a telepath. why should the reed of that world lose even more? why not have doom sacrifice himself? it all seems kind of unimportant, in the end.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by nightw1ng View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    she has hosted the phoenix force. and she's a telepath. why should the reed of that world lose even more? why not have doom sacrifice himself? it all seems kind of unimportant, in the end.
    Yeah... mostly I think it had to do with Emma being a telepath. Of the characters remaining, she's the only one that has experience fighting on that plane of consciousness. It wasn't a matter of her being able to handle cosmic power, it was more about her being able to force Victor out of Galactus mind.
    Non-powered Norrin probably had nothing to add.

I thought the resolution was inventive, and utilized some of the work that Al Ewing introduced in Ultimates. The only thing I didn't like was 'Infamous' Doom. He just seemed overly antagonistic throughout the issue, a far cry from the version that Bendis was writing in the pages of Iron Man.

I think Doom was mostly antagonistic with Johnny! I always thought that of the four, Victor probably has the least regard for Johnny and Ben. He still remembers how Ben humiliated him and almost broke his hands in their fight in FF #40. And Johnny sometimes is written as still immature although I think that should have ended by now. But at least Johnny made Doom realize he needed to trust in people, something he rarely does.

Doom could have done the same as Emma because after all he also uses the Ovoid Mind Transfer technique from time to time. That's how the other Doom got possession of Galactus's form. But even if Infamous Doom had done that, he may not have been able to control the hunger either. I wonder why the other Doom was unable to control the overwhelming hunger? Maybe Galen's form had been able to control it since he had a period of a kind of incubation before he transformed.
    Last edited by Iron Maiden; 05-31-2018 at 09:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    I think Doom was mostly antagonistic with Johnny! I always thought that of the four, Victor probably has the least regard for Johnny and Ben. He still remembers how Ben humiliated him and almost broke his hands in their fight in FF #40. And Johnny sometimes is written as still immature although I think that should have ended by now. But at least Johnny made Doom realize he needed to trust in people, something he rarely does.
    I would go so far as to consider the Reed, Sue, Ben, Johnny the official ranking of respect from Victor. As Victor grows and has grown emotionally, he also starts to acknowledge those aspects of Sue and Ben the rest of us appreciate. Johnny's Johnny.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    I would go so far as to consider the Reed, Sue, Ben, Johnny the official ranking of respect from Victor. As Victor grows and has grown emotionally, he also starts to acknowledge those aspects of Sue and Ben the rest of us appreciate. Johnny's Johnny.
    I would agree with that ranking with at times Sue being above the rest, starting around the John Byrne run. Now that his Infamous Iron Man days seem to be coming to a close, I hope that his progress in this area isn't halted.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post

Doom could have done the same as Emma because after all he also uses the Ovoid Mind Transfer technique from time to time. That's how the other Doom got possession of Galactus's form. But even if Infamous Doom had done that, he may not have been able to control the hunger either. I wonder why the other Doom was unable to control the overwhelming hunger? Maybe Galen's from had been able to control it since he had a period of a kind of incubation before he transformed.
    As much as Doom could have used the Ovoid trick, I think the point was made that replacing one Doom with another wasn't really a solution. Plus, he wasn't from their universe, so trusting the alternate version of their adversary to save the day was just never going to happen. No... Emma had to be the choice. At least, that's how they set things up from the start.

I would say that other Doom was overwhelmed probably because he had never experienced that level of power before - where like you say, Galen had been transformed over millenia to get used to the power.

You don't use doom unless the idea is to insult and/or upstage other characters. It's what he does. :shrugs: he's a lot like Emma frost in that way. The appeal is their b****iness.