Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu_of_R'lyeh View Post
    Yea no I was definitely talking about Dr. M being capable of having an effect on things stronger than he's been shown to manipulate. Like no offense, but Dr. M (movie version) is not trucking in a lot of feats beyond "can't see the future cuz tacyons", some comments about creating life after doing some stuff ... nowhere near that level, and his standard "I make people go asplode".

He doesn't even vaporize them, he just blows them up in a gory mess.

As an aside, how do the stony gems not have feats ?

There's been movies of them having feats.
    +1.

Makes sense to me.
    Original join date: sometime in 2002

Yea no I was definitely talking about Dr. M being capable of having an effect on things stronger than he's been shown to manipulate. Like no offense, but Dr. M (movie version) is not trucking in a lot of feats beyond "can't see the future cuz tacyons", some comments about creating life after doing some stuff ... nowhere near that level, and his standard "I make people go asplode".

He doesn't even vaporize them, he just blows them up in a gory mess.

As an aside, how do the stony gems not have feats ?

There's been movies of them having feats.
    Those gemmy stones haven't resisted being removed as I've been discussing, and this Thanos can't react to a Thought action from Manhattan in time to use them to resist. He could use his TK to remove the Reality and Time gems if you believe he can only remove 1 at a time. He could teleport them all away like he did all those people too, as he's shown he can do it quickly when he needs to.

Quote Originally Posted by Dalak View Post
    Those gemmy stones haven't resisted being removed as I've been discussing, and this Thanos can't react to a Thought action from Manhattan in time to use them to resist. He could use his TK to remove the Reality and Time gems if you believe he can only remove 1 at a time. He could teleport them all away like he did all those people too, as he's shown he can do it quickly when he needs to.
    I mean I guess my thing is, removing two stones won't matter in the long run; and Manhattan almost certainly isn't powerful enough to do anything more than that. He again does not have the feats. The only gem that wouldn't outright cause trouble for him is the Mind Gem, or Time Gem, and in the time it'd take him to get around to using them properly, Thanos has him ten-counted.
    Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

Arx Inosaan

Quote Originally Posted by Twickster View Post
    Am I missing something here? What kind of feats does Dr. Manhattan have that put him even with a full Infinity Gauntlet Thanos?
    No one's saying he's IG level personally I just don't think Thanos can kill him for good maybe things are going to change in the next movie but for now....

I mean I guess my thing is, removing two stones won't matter in the long run; and Manhattan almost certainly isn't powerful enough to do anything more than that. He again does not have the feats. The only gem that wouldn't outright cause trouble for him is the Mind Gem, or Time Gem, and in the time it'd take him to get around to using them properly, Thanos has him ten-counted.
    If Stark's armor can keep him from making a fist Manhattan can too, and he's shown he's a master of multitasking. Without Time and Reality there's nothing Thanos can do to shut down Manhattan as the Mind gem has no gauntlet feats and otherwise required Touch to function. Soul is right out. Given how quickly Manhattan can create clones and how he doesn't require a body to exist means he isn't rung out or 10 counted either unless his Reality is toyed with. Most cosmic matches he's involved with are against people that can affect such a bodiless thing, but not MCU Thanos if the Blue Dingus plays it smart.

As his body is constructed, it blowing up from using the power stone to amp him up would allow him to vape Thanos IMO.

E: Actually the Gauntlet has no feats of resisting teleportation either, couldn't he just remove it thusly?

He doesn't require a body to exist, but he requires a body to function.

It's a 10 count. Why are you trying to say it's not?
    Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

Arx Inosaan

Bottom line is you're making some very interesting arguments for a guy with little feats to imply he can do much of anything you're suggesting he can.

Arx Inosaan

Again, what kind of feats does Manhattan have that put him on the level of IG Thanos?

What kind of reaction feats does he have that have him creating effects beyond say, Thanos snapping his fingers? No "Manhattan just has to have the speed of thought", actual reaction feats. Has he stopped bullets mid-flight? Has he reacted to create effects before a highly skilled opponent can do an action? Does he have any speed feats at all?

Because Thanos, at least, has been shown to be able to fight and tag Spider-Man (who needs nothing to be said), Iron Man (who has had some BT feats in-armor), and utterly decimates the Hulk on speed and skill.

Hell just look to the fight between Strange and IG Thanos. They were canceling out each other's spells/attacks en route.

Arx Inosaan

Bottom line is you're making some very interesting arguments for a guy with little feats to imply he can do much of anything you're suggesting he can.
    Did he or did he not teleport a room full of people to their individual homes? Would it be easier to teleport 6 hunks of rock or a single gauntlet that haven't ever been attempted to be removed that way and thus have no demonstrable resistance? Would you say Nightcralwer couldn't teleport it away either in this case?

I think assigning Hela level resistances for something resisting esoteric attacks is still unwarranted too, especially since she never resisted anything really esoteric in her showings either.

Problem with Doc is that he is one of those "bad for Rumbles" characters. He has so much implied power, but not a lot of screen time. He also operates in a world where nobody else has powers, so its hard to judge him based on fights he's had against other tough threats.

We know he has limits. Tachyons mess with him. He wasn't confident he could stop every nuke. Etc.

Do I believe he could muck with the Gauntlet a bit? Like pull a stone out or something? Sure. But he just doesn't possess the deep pool of feats required for him to win any sort of quick draw scenario.

I'm echoing Cthulhu here. Even if Thanos fails to permanently kill him, he can get the 10 count.
    Last edited by The Arbiter; 05-27-2018 at 07:29 PM.
    "At the end of the day, Arby is a pretty prolific poster proposing a plurality of proper posts for us."
    - big_adventure

Quote Originally Posted by Twickster View Post
    Again, what kind of feats does Manhattan have that put him on the level of IG Thanos?

What kind of reaction feats does he have that have him creating effects beyond say, Thanos snapping his fingers? No "Manhattan just has to have the speed of thought", actual reaction feats. Has he stopped bullets mid-flight? Has he reacted to create effects before a highly skilled opponent can do an action? Does he have any speed feats at all?

Because Thanos, at least, has been shown to be able to fight and tag Spider-Man (who needs nothing to be said), Iron Man (who has had some BT feats in-armor), and utterly decimates the Hulk on speed and skill.
    Give some time to rewatch the movie later and I'll give a full answer to this, but we don't give people speed feats based solely on who they fight either.

Quote Originally Posted by Dalak View Post
    Give some time to rewatch the movie later and I'll give a full answer to this, but we don't give people speed feats based solely on who they fight either.
    True, but we are a bit more forgiving when it comes to film instead of comics. Just a byproduct of the medium. Its easier to judge when the picture is delivered in motion from our perspective instead of one panel at a time.
    "At the end of the day, Arby is a pretty prolific poster proposing a plurality of proper posts for us."
    - big_adventure

Quote Originally Posted by The Arbiter View Post
    True, but we are a bit more forgiving when it comes to film instead of comics. Just a byproduct of the medium. Its easier to judge when the picture is delivered in motion from our perspective instead of one panel at a time.
    Basically, this is my point. We see how Thanos moves in film. And its a hell of a lot faster than Manhattan.

Even if Thanos fails to permanently kill him
    I also don't buy that Thanos can't permanently kill him. True, the IG has no feats of permanently killing energy beings, but it has mucked with so much other stuff (including shattering a dimension to pieces, then turning said pieces into some sort of black hole) that it wouldn't surprise me if Thanos could muck him up.