Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Retired

I think that any flashbacks of Krypton should show people wearing capes, boots, trunks and chest emblems. Maybe not everyone all the time, but enough to establish Superman’s look as native to Krypton.

Of course, Superman has always worn other outfits during his storied career (as the Man of Steel and as Clark Kent—and in other guises). This would be a worthwhile thread, looking back on all the fashion choices over the 80 years.

Astonishing Member

MoS was the first issue I read with Bendis, my first issue with the trunks back. I was afraid that I'd (unintentionally) find them an eye sore even though I never had an issue with them returning and actually believe they are iconic to the character, I'm glad to say I hardly noticed the difference. With or without the trunks, it is still Superman, my number one superhero of all time and will continue to read his stories. The one thing I have the most anxiety over is that the stories going forward be good. That's all I ask/want.

The red trunks have got to go.

They look super stupid now.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by NYCER View Post

Totally agree dude, trunks are awful. They make my right eye twitch lol.

The costume looks stupid without them and they just bring the whole thing together IMO.

BANNED

Haven't had one issue with them, and neither has anyone that's been praising Bendis' run so far.

As usual, the smallest voices are the loudest.

Retired

"I'll take 'Quotable Quotes' for a thousand, Alex."

"Answer: 'Those red trunks have got to go!'"

"What did Lois Lane say on her wedding night?"

"Right."

I just hope she didn't say "It looks super stupid now" once he did.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

I never really cared about the trunks, but from a business perspective I thought the costume needed to evolve years ago when almost everyone else dropped them. It was just time for another step. But they never bothered me personally. Like Clark said when he met Gen13 "I've never been fashionable. So I can never be unfashionable." But now, after seven years without trunks? They look odd to me. Like I'm looking at Batman in his first costume with the purple gloves. It's classic, but it's just....off...now. I thought I'd get used to the trunks again, and I probably will, but it hasn't happened yet.

I didn't care for Lee's design, but I really liked the Reborn suit and the Morrison t-shirt and jeans. Reborn was a near-perfect update, all it needed was the belt to be thicker. And the Morrison design is the perfect expression of Superman as the folk-tale hero. It's so perfect I sometimes wish it had become the new norm (along with the Future's End beard).
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Spectacular Member Hopeful Hero's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    I didn't care for Lee's design, but I really liked the Reborn suit and the Morrison t-shirt and jeans. Reborn was a near-perfect update, all it needed was the belt to be thicker. And the Morrison design is the perfect expression of Superman as the folk-tale hero. It's so perfect I sometimes wish it had become the new norm (along with the Future's End beard).
    Personally for me the only thing the reborn suit was missing was the wrist cuffs that rebirth Supes had. That would've made the reborn suit perfect imo.

As for the trunks, in the past I was all for it, now as Ascended said it just doesn't look right to me. Then again maybe time is all I need to get used to it again.
    "So as I pray, Unlimited Pak Works!"

Quote Originally Posted by Hopeful Hero View Post
    Personally for me the only thing the reborn suit was missing was the wrist cuffs that rebirth Supes had. That would've made the reborn suit perfect imo
    I could have sworn the Reborn suit had the wrist cuffs? No? Ah, okay, then a thicker belt and the wrist cuffs. I know some fans dislike them, but from a design standpoint they probably should be there.

As for the trunks, in the past I was all for it, now as Ascended said it just doesn't look right to me. Then again maybe time is all I need to get used to it again.
    That's what I'm assuming. Maybe by the end of MoS it'll look normal again.....
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Spectacular Member Hopeful Hero's Avatar

I could have sworn the Reborn suit had the wrist cuffs? No? Ah, okay, then a thicker belt and the wrist cuffs. I know some fans dislike them, but from a design standpoint they probably should be there
    Well the reborn suit does have the cuffs I meant without the trunks the suit would've been perfect.

Totally agree about the belt being thicker though.
    "So as I pray, Unlimited Pak Works!"

Extraordinary Member

Well, IMO, no they don't and no it doesn't.

Took me a while, I'm back Netherman14's Avatar

I never really cared about the trunks, but from a business perspective I thought the costume needed to evolve years ago when almost everyone else dropped them. It was just time for another step. But they never bothered me personally. Like Clark said when he met Gen13 "I've never been fashionable. So I can never be unfashionable." But now, after seven years without trunks? They look odd to me. Like I'm looking at Batman in his first costume with the purple gloves. It's classic, but it's just....off...now. I thought I'd get used to the trunks again, and I probably will, but it hasn't happened yet.

Well, that initial suit was brought back for Zero Year. so there's that. f2655-batman_vol_2_33.jpg
    Last edited by Netherman14; 06-07-2018 at 11:27 PM. Reason: Updated picture
    Pull-List:

DC: Batman: Damned, The Green Lantern. Young Justice. Wonder Twins

Boom!: Ronin Samurai.

Quote Originally Posted by Netherman14 View Post
    Well, that initial suit was brought back for Zero Year. so there's that.
    I know. And I thought it was a great nod to the past and enjoyed it for the few issues Bruce wore it (though the black ribbing on the shins, ribs, and shoulders seem at odds with the otherwise retro design). But if DC had said "Hey, this is the new regular suit going forward!" I'd have been less than thrilled. That's how I currently feel about the trunks. I'm fine with them in flashbacks, I'd be fine with them if Clark put them back on for a few issues (for whatever reason). But as a regular thing? I'm still not feeling it.

But they just came back. I might grow accustomed to them again. I'm sure I will, it just isn't happening as quickly as I thought it would. But from the business perspective, outside my personal preferences? I still think it was a mistake to bring them back.

~ Black Panther.