Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Default DC Supernatural, Magic And Mysticism Appreciation Thread

Gods, sorcerers, demons, angels, ghosts, elves, Amazons, vampires, ghouls and a whole bunch of others. You name it, chances are DC's got it. An appreciation thread for all things, fantastical, supernatural, mystical and magical in DC. Whether it be Wonder Woman and her Amazons, Amethyst of Gemworld, the Enchantress, Etrigan the rhyming demon. All are welcome.
    Last edited by Agent Z; 08-27-2018 at 01:12 AM.

where they filmed that one movie and half of that other one

Even Etrigan Hates Racists! (from Garth Ennis' run on The Demon, art by John McCrea)

(I've had a soft spot for the Yellow Rhymer of murderous fun, ever since I stumbled upon a back issue of Alan Grant's run)
    Last edited by Hilden B. Lade; 05-27-2018 at 08:37 AM.

Mighty Member

The upcoming Raven#7 issue featuring an all new Night Force looks cool. I would love for that team to become an ongoing more so than the upcoming Justice League Dark.

Ultimate Member

I used to be a big fan of Dr. Fate, but sometimes he's a little too big for the room (much like the Specter or Johnny Thunder's Thunderbolt, able to more or less do anything, and if they can't, then I kind of feel that they're not being written right...).

Sargon the Sorcerer, on the other hand, hits that sweet spot of being a 'magical hero' without just being a generic 'I can do anything, except when badly written, and suddenly can't do anything.'

I've also enjoyed the mystical side of the Legion of Super-Heroes future, which is all spaceships and transsuits and flight rings, except when it's Mordru and the White Witch and semi-mystical characters like Projectra and Shadow Lass (who aren't spellcasters, but have magical origins, at least). The White Witch was particularly fun, as a spellcaster, because of her AD&D-ish limitations about preparing particular spells in advance, instead of being a 'pew pew, I shoot lazers!' kind of 'spellcaster' common to Marvel, who ends up being a sort of Green Lantern-y thrower of zaps and shields and stuff (which, IMO, is super-boring, particularly in a universe that already has dozens, if not hundreds, of non-spellcaster energy zap-throwers).

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    I used to be a big fan of Dr. Fate, but sometimes he's a little too big for the room (much like the Specter or Johnny Thunder's Thunderbolt, able to more or less do anything, and if they can't, then I kind of feel that they're not being written right...).

Sargon the Sorcerer, on the other hand, hits that sweet spot of being a 'magical hero' without just being a generic 'I can do anything, except when badly written, and suddenly can't do anything.'

I've also enjoyed the mystical side of the Legion of Super-Heroes future, which is all spaceships and transsuits and flight rings, except when it's Mordru and the White Witch and semi-mystical characters like Projectra and Shadow Lass (who aren't spellcasters, but have magical origins, at least). The White Witch was particularly fun, as a spellcaster, because of her AD&D-ish limitations about preparing particular spells in advance, instead of being a 'pew pew, I shoot lazers!' kind of 'spellcaster' common to Marvel, who ends up being a sort of Green Lantern-y thrower of zaps and shields and stuff (which, IMO, is super-boring, particularly in a universe that already has dozens, if not hundreds, of non-spellcaster energy zap-throwers).
    Shadow Lass is magical? I just thought she was an alien with shadow powers.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Sorry but who are the guy in shades, the woman with white hair and the guy in the brown coat and hat?

Astonishing Member

I especially enjoyed the survey and history of magic in the DCU, as it was taught to Timothy Hunter by the four members of the "Trenchcoat Brigade" in The Books of Magic.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Sorry but who are the guy in shades, the woman with white hair and the guy in the brown coat and hat?
    shades is Faust of the Outsiders, hat is Doctor Occult and the woman is i think Silver Sorceress from the JLA.

"There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

"There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Shadow Lass is magical? I just thought she was an alien with shadow powers.
    Shadow Lass is the 'Shadow Champion' of her world, one of a long line of such bequeathed those powers by ancestral spirits encountered in a cave deep below Talokk VIII's surface. She's not just someone born with powers (like Cosmic Boy, Saturn Girl, etc.) or empowered in an accident (Lightning Lad, Sun Boy, etc.).

Hey Baby--Wha's Happ'nin? HandofPrometheus's Avatar

Jennifer Morgan

Attached Images Attached Images

Hey Baby--Wha's Happ'nin? HandofPrometheus's Avatar

Here's Neron. DC just stopped using this character.

Last time neron popped was the last Midnighter mini, if I remember right. I highly recommend reading it.

Also, is it too soon to add Brimstone (Joe Chamberlain), the Hound and The Salesman to the list of the Supernatural characters, considering that we don't know where their powers come from : Apokolypse or Hell itself ?