All-New Member

Default New member here and just getting back into Comics again... need suggestions...

I recently started reading comics again. The Old Man Logan storyline by Millar single handedly got me into reading comic books again. Since then I have read the Punisher Max series and they were just as incredible. Since comixology is having a huge Memorial Day Sale on DC graphic novels I decided I'd like to get some DC stuff.

When I stopped reading comics about 13 (?) years ago I was getting really sick and tired of Batman. While I know things may have changed and he probably has really great writers I was wondering if yo guys can suggest some stuff to me other than Batman comics. Since I liked Aquaman from that Justice League movie I was hoping to ask you guys how his current Rebirth comics are and if reading the New 52 line is a must to understand his whole story. If there are any other titles you guys can suggest for DC I would greatly appreciate it if you guys can send them my way..... Just preferably not Batman (but it's not a deal breaker lol)

Thank you guys again.

Incredible Member

I hate to suggest a Batman title right off (and I can totally understand Batman fatigue) and since you mention rebirth titles, the new Detective Comics is pretty good. I read through the first 2 deluxes and was surprised how much I liked it. Its a bat family team book rather than all about Batman. They really try to tone down the super bat god type thing.

Rebirth was meant to be a good jumping point. Although maybe 85% of the New 52 Aquaman run is really solid. Geoff Johns and Jeff Parker make for a really entertaining and amazing new mythos for Aquaman. And the Rebirth stuff starts off slow, but its quite excellent as well, I adore it. The Sub-Diego arc is also really really good. Highly recommend it.

Punisher Max (assuming you mean by Ennis) is one of my faves. You should check out his few volumes of Nick Fury as well, you will love it.

The Old Man Logan 'verse is continued (but not by Millar) in Old Man Hawkeye. I haven't read it but maybe you'll like it. OML specifically -- the character -- is in a lot of X-Men comics in recent years. Jeff Lemire wrote some and is pretty popular.

For Aquaman, I say the same thing as Vilynne. Hope this helps

All-New Member

Thanks for the response, guys! Just real quick for the Aquaman books, is the Rebirth series an actual continuation of his New 52 story or are they two completely different stories and one has nothing to do with the other?

I agree with most people. Look for Aquaman trades that say Geoff Johns on them. They're excellent. Great art too, Ivan Reis is really good.

Quote Originally Posted by denthegod View Post
    Thanks for the response, guys! Just real quick for the Aquaman books, is the Rebirth series an actual continuation of his New 52 story or are they two completely different stories and one has nothing to do with the other?
    I wouldn't call it a continuation exactly...but it does continue to build a bit on the world that was established in the N52 run. The Rebirth run is more of a political drama, mixed in with some action. The premise is basically that Aquaman is king of Atlantis, and he's struggling to get Atlantis to be taken seriously, and he wishes for it to be recognized as part of the rest of the world.

His N52 run us a but more superheroics, tied in with some mystical and scientific discoveries. That's not to say one run doesnt have the elements the other does, its just a different pace.

They're definitely in the same universe. Unlike when you read Aquaman by PAD and then the N52 run. You can easily tell theyre from two different"worlds" or realities. Whatever you wish to call it.

Mighty Member

The New 52 Wonder Woman book by Brian Azzarello and Cliff Chiang is simply put brilliant. Best read in trades or the two absolutes. One big epic story. A pulpy Kirby-sque on the greek pantheon.

There's also the ongoing Mister Miracle by Tom King. Brilliant as well.

If you haven't already, Grant Morrison's Allstar Superman is fantastic. Made me like the character. Morrison's recent Multiversity is also great fun. Mind bending fantastic use of the multiversity. Wouldn't surprise me if the book changed some peoples's lives for the better
    Last edited by borntohula; 05-28-2018 at 08:43 AM.

Spectacular Member

All-star Superman is one of the few books I upgraded to Absolute.

I loved Dark Victory and Long Halloween. I also intend on getting that Aquaman omnibus coming. Need me some good Aquaman. My favourite DC hero alongside Colossus.