Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Favorite Non-Continuity Batman Story?

What are some of your favorite stories that have never been part of regular continuity? From The Dark Knight Returns to Gotham by Gaslight to all the Elseworlds, Imaginary Stories, and various one shots, minis, and so forth.

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

I'm unlike many comic fans I come across in that I'm not so big on non-continuity/Elseworlds stuff. They really have to be special to get me to even give one a read.

Dark Knight Returns is easily far and away the best non-continuity Batman for me. Particularly because you could view it as really fitting with continuity Batman.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Mighty Member

White Knight, easily. It's the only elseworlds style story that made me want to read a whole line of comics based in that universe. I want a Duke mini, a Joker ongoing, a maxi series with the two Harleys, a sequel of course, what happened with Dick and Bruce, a Gordon family book... so many threads I'd like to see pulled at.

Batman Year 100. It throws some ideas around like the fake teeth and him spending time preparing for when he appears to make himself more like a myth/urban legend etc which I found really cool. It also beat Grant Morrison to the idea that all of Batman is one timeline which includes the Adam West and Frank Miller eras. Also the artwork is amazing, the drawings of the dogs have always caught my eye.

I'd also shout out Wagners limited series, Dark Knight Returns, White Knight, Shaman and Planetary.
    Last edited by jump; 05-28-2018 at 03:34 PM.

BANNED

Shaman has been usually in Continuity so I pick the Dark Knight verse and Year 100.

Quote Originally Posted by JBatmanFan05 View Post
    Dark Knight Returns is easily far and away the best non-continuity Batman for me.
    I wasn't sure if I should mention my favorite since I've probably read far fewer bat-books then most fans, but I love the Dark Knight Returns. The structure of going from ever more challenging opponents give it this old time classic mythic story feel without straying away from the more pulp, dark roots that make Batman who Batman is. Like trying to retell the Twelve Labors of Hercules as a Dick Tracy story with over the top superhero elements. The whole "he's too big" bit by Gordon echoed later by Yellen as Batman saves the day arriving on horseback with an army he really crossed over from pulp to myth. Don't know how much of that is intentional or me over thinking it, but damn epic story.

Elseworld for Batman, but main timeline for Jackie Estacado in The Darkness.

Batman actually started Jackie on the path from common street thug/mafia enforcer, to being a bad guy that takes down far worse guys.

It wasn't The Darkness' only crossover with DC (a later one had a crossover with Superman), but I still liked it.

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    What are some of your favorite stories that have never been part of regular continuity? From The Dark Knight Returns to Gotham by Gaslight to all the Elseworlds, Imaginary Stories, and various one shots, minis, and so forth.
    Definitely this one (no surprise): All New Batman - Brave & The Bold #13 pg00.jpg

The Batman Pirate pair of stories is also delightful.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jump View Post
    Batman Year 100. It throws some ideas around like the fake teeth and him spending time preparing for when he appears to make himself more like a myth/urban legend etc which I found really cool. It also beat Grant Morrison to the idea that all of Batman is one timeline which includes the Adam West and Frank Miller eras. Also the artwork is amazing, the drawings of the dogs have always caught my eye.

I'd also shout out Wagners limited series, Dark Knight Returns, White Knight, Shaman and Planetary.
    Oh yeah Batman 100 was amazing, for me my favorite has to be Long Halloween; it was my first Batman book and it is beyond awesome. I know some consider it canon buy New 52 and then Rebirth has definitely made this out of continuity.

Quote Originally Posted by JBatmanFan05 View Post
    I'm unlike many comic fans I come across in that I'm not so big on non-continuity/Elseworlds stuff. They really have to be special to get me to even give one a read.

Dark Knight Returns is easily far and away the best non-continuity Batman for me. Particularly because you could view it as really fitting with continuity Batman.
    Probably because we take stuff from it for granted that they put into continuity. It's my favorite comic ever so... I choose Dark Knight Returns.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel22 View Post
    White Knight, easily. It's the only elseworlds style story that made me want to read a whole line of comics based in that universe. I want a Duke mini, a Joker ongoing, a maxi series with the two Harleys, a sequel of course, what happened with Dick and Bruce, a Gordon family book... so many threads I'd like to see pulled at.
    Haven't read it yet, but the premise is intriguing. It looks like there have been a few Elseworld style stories lately, White Knight, Dark Prince Charming, and Creature of the Night, just to name the ones I know of. Any more recent ones I don't know about? And how do they compare and stack up?
    Last edited by Vakanai; 05-28-2018 at 09:35 PM.

Incredible Member

Batman/Captain America, followed closely by
    The first Batman/Grendel

Astonishing Member

Batman Earth One was definitely an interesting new take on a familiar story. If a future film or TV show revisits Batman's early years, then I'd sure like this to be the basis for it. Personally, I do believe Earth One at least inspired Gotham to a limited extent (then again, I've only seen Season 1 so I don't know how much the series changes later).

Nolan's trilogy

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    Haven't read it yet, but the premise is intriguing. It looks like there have been a few Elseworld style stories lately, White Knight, Dark Prince Charming, and Creature of the Night, just to name the ones I know of. Any more recent ones I don't know about? And how do they compare and stack up?
    Paul Dini wrote a really interesting OGN, called "Dark Night: A True Batman Story", an autobiography centering around his real-life experience getting assaulted and mugged. It intersperses Batman and his universe into his true life story. It also talks about his experiences on the Batman Animated Series, which I found really interesting. Highly recommend it.

White Knight totally delivers. Highest possible recommendation. Haven't read Dark Prince part two yet, but I liked part one and think it is worth it. I haven't read Creature of the Night.