Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by bat39 View Post
    Batman Earth One was definitely an interesting new take on a familiar story. If a future film or TV show revisits Batman's early years, then I'd sure like this to be the basis for it. Personally, I do believe Earth One at least inspired Gotham to a limited extent (then again, I've only seen Season 1 so I don't know how much the series changes later).
    I surprisingly liked Earth One. I had zero hype for it initially "ANOTHER Batman origin story?" but have done a 180 and am now awaiting vol 3. But with Johns tied up with Watchmen, I'm going to be waiting a long while.

Gotham season one definitely felt a bit like Earth One, mainly with Alfred being a badass. Gotham takes a hard turn from kind-of-sort-of realistic into more fantastic, sci fi territory. I liked the original tone a LOT more.

Batman Earth One was definitely an interesting new take on a familiar story. If a future film or TV show revisits Batman's early years, then I'd sure like this to be the basis for it. Personally, I do believe Earth One at least inspired Gotham to a limited extent (then again, I've only seen Season 1 so I don't know how much the series changes later).
    Maybe not so much in tone, but I can see it. A more badass Alfred training Bruce, Gordon partnered up with Bullock.

I really liked Earth One, it took the familiar origin and went somewhere different with it. And volume 2 has a scene that ties with Monster Men for one of my favorite Batman funny moments (the Bat-signal phone with Gordon and Batmobile introduction with Alfred respectively).

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel22 View Post
    Paul Dini wrote a really interesting OGN, called "Dark Night: A True Batman Story", an autobiography centering around his real-life experience getting assaulted and mugged. It intersperses Batman and his universe into his true life story. It also talks about his experiences on the Batman Animated Series, which I found really interesting. Highly recommend it.

White Knight totally delivers. Highest possible recommendation. Haven't read Dark Prince part two yet, but I liked part one and think it is worth it. I haven't read Creature of the Night.
    I remember reading about the Paul Dini book, but true crime makes me uncomfortable. Glad he's okay though.
    Weird how I love dark, violent stuff in my fiction, but the moment it becomes real life it gives me the heebiejeebies.

Looks like it'll be some months before the trade is out on either WK or DPC but both are on my wishlist, especially White Knight.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    Maybe not so much in tone, but I can see it. A more badass Alfred training Bruce, Gordon partnered up with Bullock.

I really liked Earth One, it took the familiar origin and went somewhere different with it. And volume 2 has a scene that ties with Monster Men for one of my favorite Batman funny moments (the Bat-signal phone with Gordon and Batmobile introduction with Alfred respectively).

I remember reading about the Paul Dini book, but true crime makes me uncomfortable. Glad he's okay though.
    Weird how I love dark, violent stuff in my fiction, but the moment it becomes real life it gives me the heebiejeebies.

Looks like it'll be some months before the trade is out on either WK or DPC but both are on my wishlist, especially White Knight.
    "Dark Night" was pretty brutal. Definitely a chilling story, especially since it was so commonplace and is something that happens every day in every city. But the biography things were super interesting. Batman the Animated Series is classic imo, and hearing about his experiences there is almost worth the price of admission alone.

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

It's not even official, but I'd say that JL8 is one of the best AU stories I've read, and it easily rivals professional quality in writing and art.

In a more official vein, I quite enjoy all that Dustin Nguyen and Derek Fridolfs have done, starting with L'iL Gotham, and also the Secret Hero Society trilogy.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

After Dark Knight Returns I'd say,

Gotham by Gaslight
    Batman/Judge Dredd: Judgement on Gotham
    Batman vs Predator

Amazing Member

Len Wein's 1980 The Untold Legend of the Batman.

It's a different take on a lot of the traditional mythos, but still. It's just about perfect.

Not just my favorite non-continuity Batman story, but also maybe my all-time favorite Batman story.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by willtupper View Post
    Len Wein's 1980 The Untold Legend of the Batman.

It's a different take on a lot of the traditional mythos, but still. It's just about perfect.

Not just my favorite non-continuity Batman story, but also maybe my all-time favorite Batman story.
    Technically, its not an out-of-continuity story since it was part of Pre-COIE continuity at the time of publication.

But I agree with you...its a great story. I particularly loved Batman and Gordon's first meeting. Short and sweet, but poignantly getting the basis of their alliance across. Also loved the part where a young Bruce realizes in his law class that law and justice are not necessarily the same thing.

The Dark Knight Returns for sure. Though there have been plenty of good non-continuity stories.

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

Technically, its not an out-of-continuity story since it was part of Pre-COIE continuity at the time of publication.
    I myself think once-were-continuity tales should be excluded (all or mostly). But Untold is awesome and maybe possibly worth an exception as far as this topic.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

''I shall become a bat.'' masahikotahara's Avatar

• Batman: The Doom That Came To Gotham
    • Batman: Nine Lives
    • Batman & Dracula: Red Rain
    • Batman: Ego

Also, Batman: Black & White (Vol. 1-4) has a couple of good stories.
    Visit my website: http://ultimatebatmancomicswebsite.weebly.com for a timeline of Batman comics from Batman: Year One to Flashpoint,
    The New 52 and Rebirth!

CANON! CHRONOLOGY! READING ORDER!

...AND MORE...

So I got three stories from Amazon yesterday and at least one or two of them were not part of continuity ever - Joker and Arkham Asylum. I'm not sure about the continuity status of Arkham, and honestly after my first read through I'm not sure I understood what all happened. But Joker definitely belongs here!

While the story isn't something that couldn't be be done in the normal comics, that take on the Joker and other villains certainly couldn't. It definitely had to have helped inspire Heath Ledger's take, at least the scars. This version is much more grounded and more thuggish really. Kind of reminded me of a Joe Pesci movie if directed by a gangsta rap artist, only much, much better than that sounds, if that makes sense. It was a dirty, grimy crime noir story, like Year One but a much different tone. I don't think that take or setting has any potential for sequels or spin offs, except with the right creators and pitch, but for a one off it was extremely good. Will definitely read it again and soon. Should definitely have more unique takes like that.

Where do we stand continuity wise on Date Night/Last Rites from the second Batman annual? Because I’d say it’s probably one of my all-time favorite Batman stories at this point, but it’s also a weird future story where it could go either way.

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by batfan08 View Post
    Where do we stand continuity wise on Date Night/Last Rites from the second Batman annual? Because I’d say it’s probably one of my all-time favorite Batman stories at this point, but it’s also a weird future story where it could go either way.
    I think that Date Night is definitely supposed to be in continuity, and Last Rites is supposed to be a potential ending. It does get muddled because of the explicit mention of other universes, but right now, I don't think it's any less canon than a Titans of Tomorrow story.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    So I got three stories from Amazon yesterday and at least one or two of them were not part of continuity ever - Joker and Arkham Asylum. I'm not sure about the continuity status of Arkham, and honestly after my first read through I'm not sure I understood what all happened. But Joker definitely belongs here!

While the story isn't something that couldn't be be done in the normal comics, that take on the Joker and other villains certainly couldn't. It definitely had to have helped inspire Heath Ledger's take, at least the scars. This version is much more grounded and more thuggish really. Kind of reminded me of a Joe Pesci movie if directed by a gangsta rap artist, only much, much better than that sounds, if that makes sense. It was a dirty, grimy crime noir story, like Year One but a much different tone. I don't think that take or setting has any potential for sequels or spin offs, except with the right creators and pitch, but for a one off it was extremely good. Will definitely read it again and soon. Should definitely have more unique takes like that.
    I really liked that one too. I guess you could fit it into continuity... doesn't really contradict anything big, and there's so many different versions of Joker already what's one more?

You might like "Lex Luthor: Man of Steel", also by Azzarello. It's another kind of more "grounded" take on a big villain. If you liked Joker it's definitely worth a read.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel22 View Post
    I really liked that one too. I guess you could fit it into continuity... doesn't really contradict anything big, and there's so many different versions of Joker already what's one more?

You might like "Lex Luthor: Man of Steel", also by Azzarello. It's another kind of more "grounded" take on a big villain. If you liked Joker it's definitely worth a read.
    Thanks, that might be interesting.