Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    I would really like Beyonce' to play Storm just to see what would happen when fanbases collide.
    Beyonce is a queen YASSS and Storm would be lucky to have American royalty such as Bae play her!

I think there are always legit complaints. However, mysogyny can be easily found online, with YouTube a huge platform for those. I've seen plenty of ranting and raving there. I know one cyberbully who's been devoting a chunk of his cesspool of a channel to attacking those involved with the franchise for "destroying" the franchise, with bigotry, mysogyny, and entitlement being the foundation of his asinine worldview. There's plenty of other garbage like that, in varying degrees of how well hidden the rotten core is hidden under the polite sophistry. (However, not all Disney haters are also bigots. The crassest, most entitled Star Wars YouTuber I've ever seen who has expressed sheer hatred for Disney and fans of their Star Wars stuff doesn't seem to any specific bigotry directed to the people involved.)

From my experience, it's best to examine the arguments. A case making personal attacks on the creators is less likely to be "valid" than one based on critiquing the work itself.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

And john has just released this video.

BANNED

Who is John and why would I click on his video?

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    I've never had a bad experience with fellow Whovians. Just Star Wars fans. I've had Star Wars fans threaten to rape my children based on liking the prequels and not liking most of the Legends stuff while waiting in line at the latest movie with my kids.

The worst experience I've had with a Whovian was getting yelled at for mixing up companions that were before my time during a Canadian expo. And then they gave me tapes to watch afterwards so I wouldn't make the same mistake again.
    Everyone has different experiences with bad fandom. For me, the absolute worst I have ever dealt with directly has been Firefly fans, but I have seen jerkwad fans of nearly every other science fiction/science fantasy series with the exception of Babylon 5, and I might just not notice those bad fans since that series is my personal favorite.

My main gripes with Kathleen Kennedy are that she doesn't keep enough of an eye on what's being made. She let the Solo production go off the rails under someone who wasn't even going for the proper genre, and didn't rein in Rian Johnson enough to at least make him acknowledge that he was making part two of a trilogy. I'm not going to be able to buy the characters as presented in TLJ as being competent enough to accomplish much of anything. Maybe if they introduce the new Resistance commander as the person who humiliated Grand Admiral Thrawn at every turn (because the hole they are in at the end of TLJ is THAT deep) and we have a 5 to 10 year time skip. The Last Jedi seems more like it was setting up a series of films rather then being the middle part.

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
    Everyone has different experiences with bad fandom. For me, the absolute worst I have ever dealt with directly has been Firefly fans, but I have seen jerkwad fans of nearly every other science fiction/science fantasy series with the exception of Babylon 5, and I might just not notice those bad fans since that series is my personal favorite.
    Firefly fans are pretty hostile, too. Say anything other than, "It's the best series ever!" or you'll be lynched.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    Firefly fans are pretty hostile, too. Say anything other than, "It's the best series ever!" or you'll be lynched.
    I've actively refused to watch the series simply due to the fans. And I'll never acknowledge it as the best ever, since I can't even place it in my top 10. It's cancellation at less than half a season is a disqualifier as best ever all by itself - not when going up against things that have become global phenomena, influenced real world technology, or have run for 30ish seasons and only had a hiatus because of the TV head having a personal vendetta against the series. Call me in another 10 years and I might move it up a little if sci-fi writers start claiming it as their primary inspiration.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

My main gripes with Kathleen Kennedy are that she doesn't keep enough of an eye on what's being made. She let the Solo production go off the rails under someone who wasn't even going for the proper genre, and didn't rein in Rian Johnson enough to at least make him acknowledge that he was making part two of a trilogy. I'm not going to be able to buy the characters as presented in TLJ as being competent enough to accomplish much of anything. Maybe if they introduce the new Resistance commander as the person who humiliated Grand Admiral Thrawn at every turn (because the hole they are in at the end of TLJ is THAT deep) and we have a 5 to 10 year time skip. The Last Jedi seems more like it was setting up a series of films rather then being the middle part.
    That is a big part of the problem. I mean how did Lord and Miller get so far into Solo before someone noticed they were not making the movie they were supposed too? How did they sit and watch TLJ and not realize that Johnson's "jokes" were not hitting at all, and in fact took people right out of the movie?

I don't buy the arguement about "well they didn't have a draft written out foe the original trilogy". Maybe they didn't, but that is not the way you do a modern trilogy. Rian Johnson's movie felt so disconected from JJ's you could tell they were just making it up as they went along, and that is a very very big problem.

BANNED

I've actively refused to watch the series simply due to the fans. And I'll never acknowledge it as the best ever, since I can't even place it in my top 10. It's cancellation at less than half a season is a disqualifier as best ever all by itself - not when going up against things that have become global phenomena, influenced real world technology, or have run for 30ish seasons and only had a hiatus because of the TV head having a personal vendetta against the series. Call me in another 10 years and I might move it up a little if sci-fi writers start claiming it as their primary inspiration.
    And of course the most important reason you can't place it in your top 10 is that you have not watched it.

Also, speaking of producers who have personal vendettas against tv series...

I wonder what Josh Trank's project was? Solo in it's early stages?
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    And of course the most important reason you can't place it in your top 10 is that you have not watched it.

Also, speaking of producers who have personal vendettas against tv series...
    Are you implying that I'm a producer? Where are my millions!?

I've watched a couple episodes and didn't overly like it. The toxic fanbase prevents me from ever wanting to return.

BANNED

Are you implying that I'm a producer?
    No, I'm implying that Firefly was sabotaged because somebody... was it Fox? I think it was Fox... hated the show because it was his predecessor's show instead of his.

But I'm certain that there are show that you absolutely love that also got only one or two seasons.

No, I'm implying that Firefly was sabotaged because somebody... was it Fox? I think it was Fox... hated the show because it was his predecessor's show instead of his.

But I'm certain that there are show that you absolutely love that also got only one or two seasons.
    Oh, absolutely. But I'm not trashing people who claim that those shows aren't the greatest in thier genre, either.

There is a big difference between one's personal favorite and the greatest of all time.

BANNED

Who is John and why would I click on his video?
    Campea was a massive shill for Kathleen in prior videos, (in fact, he still likes the movies she's produced, including Solo), but to save face with the paying public, he's had to undergo an about face

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    I wonder what Josh Trank's project was? Solo in it's early stages?
    I think Boba Fett and now that they got Mangold it was a Fox upgrade