Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by stephens2177 View Post
    Thats why you don't add new powers,you have him fight thru his weakness and find new ways to use the powers he already has,and if he does get more powerful than make it so incrementally that he still has power peers,and not just easily beats everyone
    And that's actually what I prefer; he still has his weaknesses, but finds ways around them in order to still save the day.

Evolving past kryptonite weakness is good enough for me, never really thought he needed any extra powers.
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

1. First thing I would do is get rid of the weakness to red sun radiation. It is nonsense. I am fine with Kryptonians not being able charge their cells from a red sun.

2. I don't want Supes to have telepathy [J'onn covers that part], but he definitely should have defenses against it. None short of high end telepaths [Brainiac, Despero, J'onn] should be able to affect his mind. If DC don't want it to be a part of the standard Kryptonian powerset , take note from Jurgens' Zod who has developed psi shield to protect him from psychic assaults. Clark has fought telepaths, been mind controlled numerous times and knows very well how dangerous it would be if someone managed to control him. So it is quite logical he will take precautions to protect himself from telepathic attacks.

3. No more different colored Kryptonites. The only Kryptonite in existence should be the green one and it should be extremely rare to obtain. Only Bruce and Lex will have that mineral, the former gets it from Superman himself and the latter by using his intelligence. I hated it when Amanda Waller used K-nite to bring Zod under her control.

4. Since Superman's powers are biological, I can understand him not having defense against magical attacks. But that shouldn't mean he is useless around magic. The magically [and telepathically] controlling Superman and have him fight other heroes (sometimes characters who have no business fighting him) nonsense should stop for good. Almost every time it happens to Superman only and I am sick of seeing it happen.

5. Remove super flare and pretend it never existed.

6. As Superlad said, give him EM manipulation. Wraith had it and he said Supes would have that ability when he gets old enough. Wraith also said that in future Superman would get sonic powers in SM: Unchained. That's one more power I wouldn't mind giving to Superman.

Mainly, I'd like it if tactile telekinesis was brought back as one of his powers. Basically, it's the same power that allows him to fly, and it also allows him to extend the flying ability to anything he's holding. And I guess giving him some slight form of shape-shifting to disguise his face wouldn't hurt either. But in both instances, it would be something that Superman learns to do, like he's hacking his own physiology to do these things, and it's not something that comes as naturally as it would to Superboy/Kon-El(for the TTK) or Martian Manhunter(for the shape-shifting).

BANNED

No to new powers
    Yes to a slow power creep and overcoming weaknesses

I am ok with Superman keeping the same powers he has now. Also, I think he has just the right amount of weaknesses. The different kinds of Kryptonite, red sun radiation and Magic all work for me. I honestly wish they would use the other kinds of Kryptonite more often.
    “Somewhere, in our darkest night, we made up the story of a man who will never let us down.”

- Grant Morrison on Superman

The only weakness I find annoying is 'magic'. It's too vague and too hard to understand... and half the time doesn't make sense. Story-wise, it's not a great weakness.

Other than that, Superman already HAS a list of powers longer than almost anyone in DC and that scares away a lot of readers AND writers.... how many writers feel the need to do a 'powerless' story?? I wouldn't add any more. As for expanding what he has? I'd do it on a story by story basis where he tries a new power stunt, but I don't need or want anything new permanently added to his repetoir.

Time travel

I am not really into giving new powers. But its fine. I would rather have him show some 'mad science' skills.
    Last edited by Soubhagya; 06-13-2018 at 10:45 PM.

BANNED

My last post sums up how I feel about powers and weaknesses

Now why can't he just create things at the fortress of solitude to overcome he can't with his powers?

Superman should be evolving gaining new offensive and defensive resistance by now Superman:
    - Shouldn't need to breathe, eat, sleep - except for any diverse pleasure he may receive from it.
    - By his own power, Superman has complete access to all areas of the Galatic Space with his powers intact that includes Red star systems.
    - Evolved to the point where he can use multiple forms of energy zero point quantum field.
    - Evolving to the point quantum cosmic being - As the prolonged exposure has changed his cell structure over the years.
    - His minds should already function as a galactic genius IQ off the charts expanding his forms Telekinetic / Telekinesis.
    - Evolved beyond what is called magic aka writer's block, or Science not yet understood! Cosmic level events affect him.

This is where writers should be chronological listing these events.

-

-

Astonishing Member mathew101281's Avatar

Sure, because he isn’t hard enough to write consistently as is. (Sarcasm) More powerful doesnt mean more interesting people. In fact one could argue the number of interesting Superheroed begin to peter off the higher you go on the power scale.

Just as less powerful equates to less interesting people one could say. Interesting is a very obtuse open word and what makes an interesting Superhero to one person, doesn't necessarily make it so to another person.
    I don't think or look at Superman as being one of those who will 'Peter Off' he should be fulfilling his destiny as galactic guardian - especially in the hands of a great writer being able to explore the galaxy would be a great thing to explore different people, life forms rare, exotic artifacts and natural phenomenon.

The limits and weaknesses placed on Superman save one were done out of convenience plain and simple as writers wanted a 'quick out' as this dovetail into the power equation and that would be if some very forward-thinking writer had the notion that these limitation Superman one day will over come ad evolve past them.

The no matter how much power one may have, it a can be a great struggle just to change another's own set mind principles, especially one that has been conditioned a particular way over the years who are tribe oriented in nature.

To sum it up, challenging people's beliefs and attitudes is really-hard and very time-consuming and can also be the basis of some of Superman (the one who is able to push planets sized objects) with ease - greatest struggles.

Quote Originally Posted by jimmy View Post
    Just as less powerful equates to less interesting people one could say. Interesting is a very obtuse open word and what makes an interesting Superhero to one person, doesn't necessarily make it so to another person.
    I don't think or look at Superman as being one of those who will 'Peter Off' he should be fulfilling his destiny as galactic guardian - especially in the hands of a great writer being able to explore the galaxy would be a great thing to explore different people, life forms rare, exotic artifacts and natural phenomenon.

The limits and weaknesses placed on Superman save one were done out of convenience plain and simple as writers wanted a 'quick out' as this dovetail into the power equation and that would be if some very forward-thinking writer had the notion that these limitation Superman one day will over come ad evolve past them.

The no matter how much power one may have, it a can be a great struggle just to change another's own set mind principles, especially one that has been conditioned a particular way over the years who are tribe oriented in nature.

To sum it up, challenging people's beliefs and attitudes is really-hard and very time-consuming and can also be the basis of some of Superman (the one who is able to push planets sized objects) with ease - greatest struggles.
    But no one says that.
    Not once have I ever heard of someone complain that Superman (or anyone else) was boring because they didn't have a ton of powers.

But the most common complaint I keep hearing is how OP Superman is, and people find that boring.

Yes, I know there are more powerful characters, but still.

If it were up to me, Superman's powers would operate differently on Earth (planetary atmospheres) than in deep space.

I'm a fan of anything that makes Superman a solar-inspired character. A widening perception of energy wavelengths is preferable to superhearing, imo. Strength, invulnerability and flight can be gravimetric. I like the idea of EM baseballs, just please don't make them lightning.

In space, his exposure to stellar radiation is far less diffuse, so he can do all sorts of crap he can't do on Earth. Like punch planets and stuff.

Ideally, there'd be contextual hinting that Krypton itself is a fifth dimensional planet, so he's got godlike, fourth-wall breaking, Morrisonian New God-type abilities.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by CRaymond View Post
    If it were up to me, Superman's powers would operate differently on Earth (planetary atmospheres) than in deep space.

I'm a fan of anything that makes Superman a solar-inspired character. A widening perception of energy wavelengths is preferable to superhearing, imo. Strength, invulnerability and flight can be gravimetric. I like the idea of EM baseballs, just please don't make them lightning.

In space, his exposure to stellar radiation is far less diffuse, so he can do all sorts of crap he can't do on Earth. Like punch planets and stuff.

Ideally, there'd be contextual hinting that Krypton itself is a fifth dimensional planet, so he's got godlike, fourth-wall breaking, Morrisonian New God-type abilities.

I like the idea of different power levels based on being on a planet or being in space where he can soak up endless amount of power,which he wouldn't be able to do on a planet.

Your krypton idea wouldn't be birthed by watching the Superman/Supergirl movies would it?