Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quote Originally Posted by CRaymond View Post
    If it were up to me, Superman's powers would operate differently on Earth (planetary atmospheres) than in deep space.

I'm a fan of anything that makes Superman a solar-inspired character. A widening perception of energy wavelengths is preferable to superhearing, imo. Strength, invulnerability and flight can be gravimetric. I like the idea of EM baseballs, just please don't make them lightning.

In space, his exposure to stellar radiation is far less diffuse, so he can do all sorts of crap he can't do on Earth. Like punch planets and stuff.

Ideally, there'd be contextual hinting that Krypton itself is a fifth dimensional planet, so he's got godlike, fourth-wall breaking, Morrisonian New God-type abilities.

Yes - an interesting idea - Don't know how well it wouild work out in tihe long run, but it is certainly up for discussion!
    Last edited by jimmy; 06-18-2018 at 10:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    But no one says that.
    Not once have I ever heard of someone complain that Superman (or anyone else) was boring because they didn't have a ton of powers.

But the most common complaint I keep hearing is how OP Superman is, and people find that boring.

Yes, I know there are more powerful characters, but still.
    Sounds like the old "Superman's not relatable to me" argument again People used to want to be him is for sure.

Superman is all about power and abilities on the upper echelon, yet some want to take that away which is counterproductive to his evolution as you want Superman to struggle I want him to think!

I am aware of this thing called 'power of the week'. I am not sure what it is. But Superman used to get weird powers from time to time in the Silver Age. Here's an idea about how this can be done now.

Make Superman's powers part muscle and part mind. I think Post-Crisis Superman had this idea of Superman's power being essentially 'mind based'. One can find a middle ground.

Next, apart from the usual powers like strength, invulnerability, flight, etc. let there be one more power. The ability to get 'new powers'. Now that power would be reflection or projection of his subconscious mind. And after a while it will disappear automatically.

For example, he had the infamous power of shooting a small Superman from his finger for a while. In this framework, this power will come up when Superman would start feeling 'small' or 'unworthy'. Just like we feel sometimes, when things are not going our way. And when the problem is solved and Superman gets back his sense of 'worthiness' or 'normalcy' his power of sending out the small Superman will disappear from his body.

His 'super mind' means there is also a 'super unconscious mind'. And that 'super unconscious mind' can affect his body in different ways. Another example would be from 'Escape from Planet Bizarro'. In that story, Superman goes to Bizarro's planet which was under a blue sun. Superman developed the power of 'super-vision'. Rays coming out from his eyes gave Pa Kent superpowers. Temporarily. In this framework, it will manifest from his subconscious mind when he starts developing the idea that human beings are weak. And they need constant protection which he can't give. This will continue till he becomes confident once again that each one of us is 'super' in our own way.

This Silver Age idea can then be used to highlight different aspects of Superman's character and psyche.

Quote Originally Posted by jimmy View Post
    Sounds like the old "Superman's not relatable to me" argument again People used to want to be him is for sure.

Superman is all about power and abilities on the upper echelon, yet some want to take that away which is counterproductive to his evolution as you want Superman to struggle I want him to think!
    Superman is about being human, despite his powers. Caring about the well-being of people, when it would be so easy just to take over the world or something.

Also, "evolution"? From what? And into what? From a character that still grows as a person into a gary stue that no longer grows as a character?

There is more to writing characters than just slapping on random powers because "it looks cool!" at the time. Am I saying I want him to be relatable to me? No. I didn't say that. Did I say I don't want him to think? No, in fact a bit more of that would be good. But just randomly giving him powers would take that away.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    Superman is about being human, despite his powers. Caring about the well-being of people, when it would be so easy just to take over the world or something.

Also, "evolution"? From what? And into what? From a character that still grows as a person into a Gary stue that no longer grows as a character?

There is more to writing characters than just slapping on random powers because "it looks cool!" at the time. Am I saying I want him to be relatable to me? No. I didn't say that. Did I say I don't want him to think? No, in fact a bit more of that would be good. But just randomly giving him powers would take that away.

If you are talking about empathy, sympathy laced with respect for another being, not to mention a Superman, who has been groomed by parents on responsibilities to himself and others then I'm not challenging that and mentally / emotionally - that is the way it should be period!

When I said Superman is all about power and abilities, I was speaking mainly about his physical and mental properties, not the emotional (spiritual) aspects of the character. However, the best type of growth is a balanced one.

Telekinetic / Telekinesis is NOT " slapping on random cool power" of the week, it actually makes a lot of sense and is a power that can be argued, he is using in some shape and form already. As Superman becomes, not only the protector of Earth, till the end of time, but MORE of galactic gardian traversing intergalactic space by his own power.

The "Relate to me" (not to YOU specifically but others) - Other's who think "Superman is O/P boring" and some of those same readers just can't relate to Superman because he can do so many things etc...and it sounded like you might be going down the same 'rabbit hole' when you echoed the sentiments of "Superman being Over Powered", if not, then I offer up an -Mea culpa- for poor comprehension.

I said I want Superman to think - as there are consequences in handling problems or, certain steps need to be taken before action can commence the mental aspects of Superman need to be played up more show off his knowledge - One can have all the power in the world, but can cause unforseen circumstances if used in correctly by charinging in blind~

Quote Originally Posted by stephens2177 View Post
    Your krypton idea wouldn't be birthed by watching the Superman/Supergirl movies would it?
    Eh, the Donnerverse Superman was basically fantasy and I don't have strong feelings toward them. The more recent Snyderverse Superman was excellent scifi worldbuilding... it just sucked as a narrative.

No, my idea is a lot weirder, and you're sure to find it annoying. It suggests that Krypton's solar system is a four dimensional "bubble" INSIDE a fifth dimensional universe. That the 4D bubble solar system has seven worlds, each named for a noble gas and colored in order: red Helion, orange Neon, yellow Argon, green Krypton, blue Xenon, purple Radon, and violet Oganesson. The Fourth World, green Krypton, was the planet of origin for the Gods of Apokolips and New Genesis. When Krypton detonated, it tore a hole between dimensions, and Kal El was fired through to Earth. The Gods of the Fourth World can project themselves through the dimensional tear, but remain in the 4D/5D bubble universe. They seek Superman to pierce the 4D/5D bubble(Source Wall).

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by CRaymond View Post
    Eh, the Donnerverse Superman was basically fantasy and I don't have strong feelings toward them. The more recent Snyderverse Superman was excellent scifi worldbuilding... it just sucked as a narrative.

No, my idea is a lot weirder, and you're sure to find it annoying. It suggests that Krypton's solar system is a four dimensional "bubble" INSIDE a fifth dimensional universe. That the 4D bubble solar system has seven worlds, each named for a noble gas and colored in order: red Helion, orange Neon, yellow Argon, green Krypton, blue Xenon, purple Radon, and violet Oganesson. The Fourth World, green Krypton, was the planet of origin for the Gods of Apokolips and New Genesis. When Krypton detonated, it tore a hole between dimensions, and Kal El was fired through to Earth. The Gods of the Fourth World can project themselves through the dimensional tear, but remain in the 4D/5D bubble universe. They seek Superman to pierce the 4D/5D bubble(Source Wall).
    Dont hate it,just a lot to wrap my brain around,and my brain is already wrapped up pretty tight lol.

So this is the present day(in your idea) new God universe?

And when you say "project" does that mean as non physical,like a hologram or ghost,or they can physically get out,atleast for a lil while?

Quote Originally Posted by stephens2177 View Post
    And when you say "project" does that mean as non physical,like a hologram or ghost,or they can physically get out,atleast for a lil while?
    So I guess we should start with placement. Have you read Flatland, Invisibles, Planetary?

When I say "project", it's shorthand for the notion that fifth-dimensional beings exist outside four-dimensional space, and for them to interact with those of us INSIDE 4D space, they can only display or behave in a four dimensional manner... despite having reality-warping universe-breaking powers.

I see the Kryptonian pocket universe like a bubble on the surface of an ocean wave. It's air, but it's the sea. The analogy isn't perfect, because the bubble and its residents possesses traits associated to both sea and air. Like four dimensional Earth, it has people and it has gods. But both the people and its gods are OF fifth dimensional space, despite being constrained by fourth dimensional laws. That's why Krypton is like Earth inside its bubble universe, but Kryptonians are like gods on Earth. That's also why the gods of the bubble are less AND more powerful than the gods of Earth. Superman's powers are ENTIRELY imaginary, but constrained by the laws he gives himself. He is an unstoppable solar powered superhero. It's only when exposed to physical material from his original universe that he begins to lose power and succumb.

Myxzptlk is actually toying with Kal El, as he realizes Superman is fifth dimensional as well, but isn't "fully grown". He projects himself into Earthspace just to mess with Superman and encourage his development. Myxy just doesnt value anything like life or reality inside 4D Earthspace. The Gods of Apokolips are monsters, and if they are exposed to the beliefs and psychoplasm of fully 5D denizens, there's the fear they will expand further up and down the dimensions, crushing everything with Evil, Fear, and Despair without being constrained by beliefs of 4D people. "God"s on rocket fuel, rather than Earth or Kryptonian gasoline.

This whole idea is a fevered concept I dreamt up, trying to tie the wildly different and overlapping aspects of the DCUniverse together in a nicely packaged, but incredibly dense parcel.
    Last edited by CRaymond; 06-20-2018 at 12:21 PM.