Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

Default How would YOU make Man of Steel 2?

After MOS, BvS, and Justice League, we have a Superman who has gone through the trials and tribulations of becoming Superman, and is now acting in a more traditional way, even if certain aspects of his most recent depiction could be described by some as a bit over the top. Chances are he'll be more balanced in his next film, which will see him rise to a new different challenge but with a new level of confidence and optimism.

So given where we're at, what do you want to see in a Man of Steel sequel?

I'll ask some specific questions for structure:

What would the overall feel & setting of the movie be?

Who is/are the villain(s)?

What should Superman's character arc be?

What is Lois's role?

What new aspect of the mythology would you add?

I'll answer these myself once more have chimed in.

Incredible Member magha_regulus's Avatar

I put my answers below the questions. This is a great topic.

Quote Originally Posted by Lightning Rider View Post
    After MOS, BvS, and Justice League, we have a Superman who has gone through the trials and tribulations of becoming Superman, and is now acting in a more traditional way, even if certain aspects of his most recent depiction could be described by some as a bit over the top. Chances are he'll be more balanced in his next film, which will see him rise to a new different challenge but with a new level of confidence and optimism.

So given where we're at, what do you want to see in a Man of Steel sequel?

I'll ask some specific questions for structure:

It would be a very optimistic sci-fi story. Something that's an ethics story similar to how Star Trek approaches things. SUperman would have the confidence in his decisions and his hope helps save the world.

I might do something with Gog/Magog and Solaris the tyrant sun. A time travel villain from the future type of movie.

superman is fully established in his role. he has to face gog/magog who made a deal with solaris go to the past to confront superman. Gog/Magog might have been orphaned in Zod's attack on Metropolis and has sworn revenge. Superman is shown aspects of the future where he doesn't exist and its similar to the bleak kingdom come future. It might be a situation like the movie "It's a wonderful life" where Superman see's how bad the world would be without his influence. Solaris would be trying to attack superman's greatest strength his ability to inspire hope. superman saves people in the future, his mere presence makes the world a better place and he inspires people there. Maybe kidnapping superman from the present creates a situation where everyone thinks he's disappeared or abandoned them. Solaris could rule the future and superman takes him out, and restores the timeline. something along those lines.

What is Lois's role?

I'd need to think of this some more. If the movie were about intergang or something more grounded she could help him investigate and we could get some real lois and clark pulp style action.

New as in something we'd make up or new as in someting from the comics that hasn't been in the movies yet? I'd hint at The Superman Squad through a mid credits scene and show the golden superman of the far future wink at the audience at the very end.

I'll answer these myself once more have chimed in.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Brainiac seems like a....wait for it...no brainer

Thank yew thank yew. Please tip your waitresses.

Seriously, though, I would like to see something more light-hearted and whimsical that still has stakes and lots of fun action sequences. Give Luthor and Kryptonite a rest for a little while.

I would love to see Mxylptk be the secret big bad, throwing a gaggle of C-list Superman villains at him like Titano, Silver Banshee, and Parasite. Have lots of jokes and banter with Lois & Clark, introduce Jimmy Olsen for realz this time and try to give audiences a fun rousing adventure that reaffirms the sense of optimism and hope they keep taking about, but rarely manage to inspire.

Or, if they really want to get people talking, just do a straight up President Lex storyline that has Lois & Clark trying to take him down with the power of journalism

I agree. I really want to see Brainiac on screen. He's an iconic villain without ever being in a live action movie and I think it's time. I really liked Michael Shannon's Zod, but I would have loved it if they took a little from Morrison's run for the first Man of Steel. Like him getting the Superman suit on Brainiac's ship. I think that was really clever. Also, Superman fought Brainiac in front of everyone in Metropolis while it was shrunk and they all got a front row seat to see him be a great hero. Could be less of that anti/pro Superman stuff after that but I guess they were going for a different type of movie.

A thousand years after Brainiac bottled Metropolis the Legion of Superheroes are battling the Time Trapper. After capturing Time Trapper, Brainiac 5 feels unaccepted by the universe at large because of the original's sins, and falls prey to the whispers of the Time Trapper to go back in time to change the past. The reason Superman failed to save Metropolis was because Brainiac's attack coincided with the arrival of Solaris the Tyrant Sun, and Superman simply couldn't save the solar system and return to stop Brainiac in time. But with the help of Brainiac 5, Lightning Lad, Saturn Girl, Karate Kid and maybe another team member or two (my knowledge of the Legion is mostly based on cartoons and this season of Supergirl), Superman is given a chance to rewrite history and defeat Brainiac!

Took another poster's idea about time travel and Solaris as a featured villain, and most posters' desire to see Brainiac and my desire to not see the most obvious Brainiac story to make something different.

Also Time Trapper escapes and it sets up a possible Legion of Superheroes movie.
    Last edited by Vakanai; 05-29-2018 at 01:43 AM.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

I would make man of steel 2 a finale. It would ceneter around the marriage of clark and lois and feel like a true conclusion to Man of Steel 1. Multiple superman villains being led by Lex to stop Supes. Make the film more upbeat and positive showing Clark is a changed person after the past events. Have cameos from other heroes.

I would make it brighter, but it would still get serious when it needs to be.

I would use Brainiac as the villain. I think he would fit in the world that was created and I think he would be good for adding stuff to the lore of the universe.
    “Somewhere, in our darkest night, we made up the story of a man who will never let us down.”

- Grant Morrison on Superman

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

I would do it on a budget of $100-150 million, so the production doesn't end up complaining that it underperformed if it doesn't reach 1 billion at the box office.

Incredible Member Krypto's Fleas's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son of Krypton View Post
    I would do it on a budget of $100-150 million, so the production doesn't end up complaining that it underperformed if it doesn't reach 1 billion at the box office.
    Agree. Which is why you can't do Brainiac. Just do Metallo and focus the story on actually fleshing out Clark Kent -- which we haven't really gotten yet in this version.

Extraordinary Member Doctor Know's Avatar

Put me down for Brainiac being the antagonist we need.

I would start my story on Krypton, and show Jor-El and Zod working together to repel Brainiac's invasion. They're successful, but it leaves Brainiac with an ax to grind. With Krypton blowing up from natural causes, Brainy has no one to vent his frustrations on for his humiliating defeat. Until he discovers the last son of Krypton lives on Earth.

I've been brainstorming for months what I would like to see in a MOS 2, but I've hit a snag. With regards to the words Supes and Brainy would exchange in this "first contact" meeting. Perhaps a "sins of the father" angle. But I fear that would be too close to Zod's grievance with Kal.
    Last edited by Doctor Know; 05-29-2018 at 10:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Know View Post
    Put me down for Brainiac being the antagonist we need.

I would start my story on Krypton, and show Jor-El and Zod working together to repel Brainiac's invasion. They're successful, but it leaves Brainiac with an ax to grind. With Krypton blowing up from natural causes, Brainy has no one to vent his frustrations on for his humiliating defeat. Until he discovers the last son of Krypton lives on Earth.

I've been brainstorming for months what I would like to see in a MOS 2, but I've hit a snag. With regards to the words Supes and Brainy would exchange in this "first contact" meeting. Perhaps a "sins of the father" angle. But I fear that would be too close to Zod's grievance with Kal.
    I would absolutely love that kind of flashback.

Without going full-on Green Lantern, I'd want Superman to spend some more time in space. Doing research for scientists back home, or routine asteroid deflection, helping a rocket go back on course. Things like that that establish that he can go wherever he wants, performs miracles, and "watches over us" in a friendly way. The overall feel I'd be going for is the idea that he can do anything and isn't just a punching machine; Clark is dead, but Superman can still help society develop. Maybe that's when he comes in contact with...

Brainiac. I'm generally not a fan of the cold inhuman unrelatable big bad, and alien invasions are cliched in the genre, but there are ways to make his pathology intriguing, and it opens the door to opportunities like Kandor. Maybe Brainiac can remind Clark that knowledge and the pursuit of it can be a dangerous thing and potentially losing the human touch isn't worth it.

I'd definitely include a cameo from Lex in which he tricks Superman into meeting with him, and protects himself with Kryptonite motion sensors or something should he get too close. They can have some philosophical conversation where Lex says he hates aliens be they monstrous or human looking. By the end of the film there's another hint at the Society, or maybe a Superboy clone.

The most tumultuous period of his Superman career is behind him, so I'd make the focus about how he realizes that he can do so much, that so many look up to him, that he shouldn't hold back. That he should try and help with science and space travel and spend time with orphans and whatnot. But I'm not sure what his internal conflict would be here. The "becoming a tyrant" angle has been exhausted. Maybe he's just trying to find more ways to fulfill his purpose. "My father said I'd be the light to show them the way. I'm just trying to figure out how to do that when there's not an alien invasion."

What is Lois's role?

Lois the journalist has gotten a lot of time, so I want to explore Lois the wife. I wouldn't mind them getting married at all by the end of this film. I'd probably resist making her a damsel at all in this one. Maybe she's his ear to the ground when it comes to alerting him about Brainiac drones appearing on Earth, and she can spend time in Smallville helping with community efforts there, maybe being unsure if she can settle for the farm life. (Which by the end would be a shattered illusion as Superman takes her to have dinner on a custom made base the moon or something like that).

Kandor would be an obvious choice, and I think him seeing a piece of Krypton would radically alter his idea of it and renew his sense of purpose. I also wouldn't mind adding Jon at the end with a declaration that Lois is pregnant, but that would be quite controversial. Or, Kara. I'd be afraid she'd steel the show, but having someone to mentor would only reinforce Superman's charisma.

Lex as President is a story I'd love for after a Secret Society movie, or maybe after the villains and heroes team up to fight Apokalips (something I hope DC moves towards since it hasn't been done).

BANNED

Lex creates metallo and bizzaro,and accident at lexcorp causes parasite.

Kara is found alive in a pod

Lois and Clark get married

Kon-el is released from Cadmus,run by lex,after he focussed on bizzaro and not the half clone that couldn't grow to adulthood or become another bizzaro,when bizzaro was a full powered weapon he could use against superman

Crap. Man of Steel came out five years ago (almost) already, and the sequel still hasn't been green lit. Yikes.

Sorry, I didn't answer the OP's question, but as time goes by the less of a good idea I think MoS2 would be. I'll give it a shot, nonetheless. I'd focus as little as possible on continuity with the other beleaguered films. I'd take Superman to far away places and have the villain be Brainiac. I'm not really down with Henry and Amy, so I'd probably make this movie as romance-lite as feasible. And just for an oddball answer, I'd probably introduce the idea of the multiverse, to give future DC movies some license to tell parallel universe stories, one popular idea that MCU hasn't touched yet so that people stop comparing it to the DCEU and vice-versa.

Metallo would be my choice. Just have him be made of Nth Metal so we dodge the Kryptonite Issue. Either that or Manchester Black and the Elite. I’d love to see Brainiac but MoS2 should keep the budget small. If it’s successful then we do Brainiac. And no Lex, even if I didn’t think Eisenberg Luthor was trash, I want the spotlight focused on Clark and the antagonist.