Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Re-cast Batman 1989

A fun game we play when we drink and sit around the table. Recast a movie. Don't get me wrong, I love the Tim Burton Batman movie but I think this is a fun one.

Bruce Wayne/ Batman
    Chris Sarandon
    Fright Night... Jerry Dandridge (1985)
    The Princess Bride... Prince Humperdink (1987)
    Child's Play... Detective Mike Norris (1988)

Alfred Pennyworth
    Christopher Lee

Commissioner Gordon
    Nick Nolte

The Joker
    Gary Oldman
    (I know the movie came out after '89 but I love it...)

Harvey Dent
    Lance Henriksen
    Great actor with a great voice that can even make it deeper (for the sequel of course... why wasn't Two Face in Batman II? Silly...)
    Alens... Bishop (1986)
    Near Dark... Jesse Hooker (1987)
    Pumpkinhead... Ed Harley (1988)

Joker - Either Michael Keaton or Bill Murray.
    Harvey Dent - James Woods or Kevin Bacon.

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

Bruce Wayne/ Batman
    Kevin Conroy
    That's right, actor Kevin Conroy also once looked the part besides being the voice.
    ZThanos1dbcdabaaa.jpg

Alfred
    Peter Cushing
    I stand by this if it could have been pulled off. Cushing had cancer at this point and his final film role was 1986, so this would have been his last instead probably.
    ZThanos1dbcdabaaa.jpg

Harvey Dent
    Craig T. Nelson
    After seeing the movie And Justice For All (starring Pacino & CT Nelson was also in it), Craig was my pic for Harvey / Two-Face
    ZThanos1dbcdabaaa.jpg

The Joker...I have no firm idea, I'd really have to look at all the UK and US actors at the time. I'd probably have gone outside-the-box a bit and maybe picked a young Jim Carrey or Crispin Glover someone like that who maybe could be unleashed creatively but also controlled and molded. Someone with the manic energy and hopefully the director could find a way to make the person scary enough too.
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 05-29-2018 at 06:27 AM.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Robin Williams as Joker, he was close to getting the part and he was desperate to be in the films. It seems a shame that a guy who wanted to be in the films was turned away/so close over and over again including being The Riddler in Forever and a simple cameo from Nolan who he worked with before.

Quote Originally Posted by jump View Post
    Robin Williams as Joker, he was close to getting the part and he was desperate to be in the films.
    I definitely would have auditioned him and tried to see if he could work. He would have had to pull a Ledger though and really sort of lose himself in the role and be sufficiently scary/taken seriously. Robin of course was capable of being villainous and taken seriously. Joker still might have been a challenge for him and for me who'd want Joker done correctly enough.
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 05-29-2018 at 08:25 AM.

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    Joker - Either Michael Keaton or Bill Murray.
    Harvey Dent - James Woods or Kevin Bacon.
    James Woods. I think Kevin Bacon would have been too young for the role back then.

Adrian Pasdar as Bruce. and he'd be brand new as Batman.

John Lithgow as the Joker

John Turturo as the Scarecrow (was going to go with Harold Ramis but Turturo is the better character actor)
    Last edited by Michael Watkins; 05-31-2018 at 08:48 PM.

Extraordinary Member

Alec Baldwin as Batman

Harrison Ford as the Joker

Sharon Stone as Vicki Vale

BANNED

Main cast:

Kyle MacLachlan as Bruce Wayne

Michael Keaton as The Joker

Kelly McGillis as Vicki Vale

BANNED

Supporting cast:

Sean Connery as Alfred Pennyworth

Gene Hackman as James Gordon

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    Kelly McGillis as Vicki Vale
    This seems like a pretty good fan cast. Bravo.

BANNED

Ray Liota and Willem Dafoe were both offered the role of Bruce Wayne/Batman before Keaton. I think Dafoe would have been incredible

Quote Originally Posted by Elmo View Post
    Ray Liota and Willem Dafoe were both offered the role of Bruce Wayne/Batman before Keaton. I think Dafoe would have been incredible
    I'm glad neither took it. Liota I like, but he seems better suited to villainous or not-so-clearly-hero roles...he has this look and style and all that I think others noticed because he kept being cast as a serial killer and rogue (bad cop, mobster, evil boyfriend, bully, etc).

Dafoe just doesn't have the look enough for me and "looking the part" does matter a bit for me. Just too many intangibles that don't strike me as Bruce or Batman enough. I wasn't even the biggest fan of his Norman Osborn. Loved him in Platoon and other movies, but I just don't feel it with him as Bruce/Batman.

But everyone's factors and mileage of course vary.
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 05-31-2018 at 11:34 AM.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by CliffHanger2 View Post
    Alec Baldwin as Batman

Harrison Ford as the Joker

Sharon Stone as Vicki Vale
    Yeah....I was thinking Alec Baldwin as Batman
    I created a thread about Dick Grayson/Nightwing and Koriand'r/Starfire. It is to acknowledge and honor their iconic and popular relationship.

I created a fan page about Peter Parker/Spider-Man and Mary Jane Watson. This page is for all the Spider-Marriage fans.