Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Fire and life incarnate! phoenixzero23's Avatar

Default What would you do if Marvel kills your favorite mutant permanently?

Marvel tried to kill jean permanently two times already but eventually she finally came back. it looked like she was never going to come back but her fans endured. Imagine that marvel kills your favorite X-men character, but this time is forever she/he is NEVER coming back, absolutely never.
    what would you do? how will it affect you?

Quote Originally Posted by phoenixzero23 View Post
    Marvel tried to kill jean permanently two times already but eventually she finally came back. it looked like she was never going to come back but her fans endured. Imagine that marvel kills your favorite X-men character, but this time is forever she/he is NEVER coming back, absolutely never.
    i would probably quit the x-books. i like other characters, but my cyclops love is what makes me want to stay. if he's gone, i really don't see a point in continuing to read

I would read the books of my other favorite characters and spend less money monthly.

My favorite character, Cyclops, has been killed. I still read Blue and Red and wait patiently for his probable return.

I would be pissed of if Archangel were permanently killed, but there are plenty of other characters I enjoy reading about, so I wouldn't just boycott Marvel. I would simply ask Marvel to bring him back in a polite manner.
    And I know that the OP asked about permanent death but that seldom happens.

Stop reading Marvel, maybe pick it up again when/if they come back. It wouldn't be a boycott per se, but I only have two or three characters at the company I still keep an eye out for, and I just browse what's on offer in the meantime. I'm quite happy to check out when I know there's no chance of getting what I want.

Jean is my favorite character so I've already sat through her being "permanently dead" for years. I kept reading, my love of the comics isn't based on my love for one particular character since there are so many that I like.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

"What would you do if Marvel kills your favorite mutant permanently?"

You should ask the 3 fans of Synch this question. lol

But on a serious note I'd still buy. Marvel killed my favourite human (Moira) and I still buy.

Unless your favourite character is really really D-list, then they're not going to stay dead permanently.

They did "permanently" kill off my favorite, Magik many years ago. I didn't think it would do much to my buying habits as I still loved my muties, but it honestly was the start of a big decline in my consuming comics in general. Part of it was also the age I was at the time and feeling like I had to "grow up" and stop reading comics as much.

When the did bring an alternate reality version of her back as part of Exiles, I heard through the grapevine and ended up starting up not only that series but all the other X-titles to boot. Eventually i got title fatigue and had to spend money on other things so I "quit" again.

Fast forward to this year and I see she's back in action post House of M. Not only did I end up a subscriber to marvel Unlimited to catch up on her storylines, but I ended up doing a deep dive and rereading EVERYTHING thanks to that app. Still plugging away!

So to answer the OP... yeah I absolutely keep reading when they kill of characters I love. It's more about financial and life changes that made me actually STOP collecting. Now that the app is a thing though, i don't see myself ever really dropping off.

MXAAGVNIEETRO IS RIGHT MyriVerse's Avatar

Same thing I do every Wednesday, Pinky.
    f/k/a The Black Guardian
    COEXIST | NOEXIST
    ShadowcatMagikДаякѕтая Sto☈mDustMercury MonetRachelSage
    MagnetoNightcrawlerColossusRockslideBeastXavier

Quote Originally Posted by phoenixzero23 View Post
    Assuming it comes as a natural conclusion to the character and their story, and not say getting taken out like a punk as a meaningless shock death to meet the fatality quanta for an event; then I shall take it as a luxurious dignity afforded to very few.
    Context is king.

X-23's most basic surface level characteristic that any idiot should grasp: Stoicism.
    I don't demand that her every minor appearance be a nuance in-depth examination of her character, but is it to much to ask she be written in Archetype?! This is storytelling 101! If you want people to stay invested in a character, you need to, at the bare minimum, write them such a way that they can plausibly be believed to be the same character!

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    "What would you do if Marvel kills your favorite mutant permanently?"

You should ask the 3 fans of Synch this question. lol
    I think he’s more popular than you realize.
    And yeah, he’s been gone a long time, and he may be gone a while yet, but I still wouldn’t count on him being gone for good.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fokken View Post
    Yer bonkers and you need a sandwich.

BANNED

The problem with the Big Two is that you can't say, "It's permanent this time. We really mean it! Honest!" because it WILL get undone at some point. Even 2/3 of the so-called "untouchable" deaths from the famous saying have been undone (Uncle Ben being the only one still 6 feet under).

The Detective Man The Dying Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ambaryerno View Post
    The problem with the Big Two is that you can't say, "It's permanent this time. We really mean it! Honest!" because it WILL get undone at some point. Even 2/3 of the so-called "untouchable" deaths from the famous saying have been undone (Uncle Ben being the only one still 6 feet under).
    Maybe but if it really happened i imagine fans would do two thing storm the Big Two's headquarters and burn everyone alive or tar and feather them because i can honestly see that happening regardless of whatever ill feelings there with with them treating dying like a revolving door.
    "Excellent!" I cried. "Elementary," said he