Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
    BANNED

Talking Happy 60th birthday Kurt Busiek!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Kai "the spy" View Post
    Of course, it should also be noted that there still are a couple of greats from the 80s and 90s are still around and produce quality work for the big 2. Mark Waid, Kurt Busiek, Warren Ellis, Grant Morrison, Chuck Dixon (whom I mentioned before), Paul Pelletier, Kelley Jones, Keith Giffen, Dan Jurgens, Ron Marz, Garth Ennis, Greg Capullo, Tony Daniel, Dan Abnett, Liam Sharp, ... You get the point.
    I will forever be grateful to Kurt Busiek for absolving the comicbook character Marvel Girl from the unforgivable crime of genocide

by revealing that the Phoenix entity made for itself a body which was an exact duplicate down to the molecular level and brain-patterns of Marvel Girl

and proceeded to impersonate Marvel Girl's civilian identity of Jean Grey
    The other image that was recorded alongside Marvel Girl is Rachel Summers aka Prestige.

Praise Kurt Busiek!!!

https://allfamous.org/nl/people/kurt...-19600916.html

BANNED

A Conversation with Chris Claremont!

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by 616MarvelYear is LeapYear View Post
    I will forever be grateful to Kurt Busiek for absolving the comicbook character Marvel Girl from the unforgivable crime of genocide

by revealing that the Phoenix entity made for itself a body which was an exact duplicate down to the molecular level and brain-patterns of Marvel Girl

and proceeded to impersonate Marvel Girl's civilian identity of Jean Grey
    The other image that was recorded alongside Marvel Girl is Rachel Summers aka Prestige.

Praise Kurt Busiek!!!

https://allfamous.org/nl/people/kurt...-19600916.html
    Bruh.. John Byrne wrote and drew that comic...

Astonishing Member

Isn't it like that every decade though?

Astonishing Member mathew101281's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    The eighties asked me to fill you in on that you might be way, way off base.
    Have people actually picked up an 80’s comic recently? Half the diologue is characters restating what is obvious from the art. People say you got more for your buck back then but that is only because comics were cheaper. Stories only seem decompressed because we are reading them in a form they were t meant to be viewed in. They were written as graphic novels, not as floppies. They only cut them up into floppies because people are use to that format.

Spectacular Member Kuro no Shinigami's Avatar

]
    Is Hercules still speaking Early Modern English in today's comics anymore? "What dost thou mean Reed Richards?"

Quote Originally Posted by CliffHanger2 View Post
    Bruh.. John Byrne wrote and drew that comic...
    Jim Shooter had part of FF #286 rewritten by Chris Claremont and redrawn by Jackson Guice, which is why John Byrne's name did not appear in the credits. The retcon that brought Jean back was suggested by Kurt Busiek, who received special thanks in the credits, along with Roger Stern.

Quote Originally Posted by Englehart Humperdinck View Post
    Jim Shooter had part of FF #286 rewritten by Chris Claremont and redrawn by Jackson Guice, which is why John Byrne's name did not appear in the credits. The retcon that brought Jean back was suggested by Kurt Busiek, who received special thanks in the credits, along with Roger Stern.

Well not so much suggested, as Kurt often relates, he was asked if you were to bring back Jean Grey, how would you do it and he answered, but told them bringing her back was a bad idea that would alienate a lot of fans. So he never suggested they do it, he just answered a hypothetical he was asked and Shooter ran with it because he thought bringing Jean back would be good for sales.

If you look through the various Ask Kurt Busiek threads, you can probably find this question asked and answered by him, but I've seen his response to it in other places as well.

-M
    Comic fans get the comics their buying habits deserve.

"Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Englehart Humperdinck View Post
    Oh okay

Quote Originally Posted by MRP View Post
    Well not so much suggested, as Kurt often relates, he was asked if you were to bring back Jean Grey, how would you do it and he answered, but told them bringing her back was a bad idea that would alienate a lot of fans. So he never suggested they do it, he just answered a hypothetical he was asked and Shooter ran with it because he thought bringing Jean back would be good for sales.
    Not quite -- it was a conversation with Roger Stern, back in 1983, when he and his wife were nice enough to put me up at their place while I was a guest at Ithaca.

In conversation, it came up that I was a big fan of the original X-Men, and Roger said yeah, him too, and it was too bad you could never gather them back together again.

I said, "Ah, but there's always a way."

He said, "No, Jim Shooter has this rule, see --"

"I know," I said. "A couple of friends of mine and I heard about that before the issue even came out, and we spent an evening coming up with ways to get around it." I told him my idea, and he liked it.

No one was asking for plans, no one was pitching anything. We were just talking comics.

Later, Roger told the idea to John Byrne, who also liked it, and when X-FACTOR was a-borning, John called Bob Layton and said, "You want Jean back?"

John and Bob pitched it to their editor and to Shooter, and Shooter said okay, go ahead.

I didn't hear about any of the stuff that happened after that Ithacon until Bob Layton (who I'd never met before) came up to me in the Marvel Bullpen, and said, "I hear I have you to thank for getting Jean Grey back!"

I think I brightly said, "Huh?"

Jim Shooter arranged to get me paid and credited (I think he thought that using a fan idea wouldn't be a problem, since ideas are not copyrightable, but using an idea that a guy who was currently working for Marvel (as the Assistant Editor on MARVEL AGE) might create some sort of legal difficulty, so they'd better secure title to it).

But it was just fannish conversation for me. It wasn't anything anyone decided to pitch until John called Bob.

But the money sure came in handy -- I was dead broke at the time!

kdb
    Last edited by Kurt Busiek; 09-26-2020 at 08:04 PM.
    Visit www.busiek.com—for all your Busiek needs!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by KurtW95 View Post
    I’m talking about the majority of comics today and a majority of the writers you listed don’t work for the big two. And aside from Brubaker, I would say that most of the creators you listed are subpar to average. Not great. Certainly not better than any random selection of creators from the 90s or prior. That’s the test right there choose any random selection of titles from the big two now and compare them to a random selection of 80s and 90s comics. It’s not even a contest. Today’s comics are a joke.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    Dude I read a lot of comics in the 90's and there was WAY more crap then there is now. It is by and large know as the worst decade for comics for a reason. That is not even up for debate.
    To me, the 2010's is the worst decade for comics with the possibility of the 2020's decade surpassing it.

Astonishing Member

To me, the 2010's is the worst decade for comics with the possibility of the 2020's decade surpassing it.
    It is, if you read the big two. It is not if you decide to read independents like Image, IDW, MAD Cave and so on.

BANNED

Agreed. The sentence is to be : "To me, the 2010's is the worst decade for DC and Marvel Comics with the possibility of the 2020's decade surpassing it."

Astonishing Member mathew101281's Avatar

To me, you have to break the 90's into halves. To me the first half of the '90s was pure garbage, you had to look really hard to find stuff that was good (Vertigo, lesser-known big two books). But I feel the mid and late '90s were actually a renaissance period for the big two.

the 2000s were the opposite to me. The renaissance of the late '90s carried over into the early 2000's. but towards the middle of the decade I felt the big two were kind of running in place. Most of the innovation was comming from the indies at that point. I feel the 2010s was by far the weakest era. I feel its the first decade were you could feel that most of the comics being made were movie pitches rather then comics.