Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Duskman View Post
    It means your political leanings can sometimes negatively impact your ability to get work within certain companies.
    Concrete examples of comic book legends who can't get Big Two work because of party partisan politics?

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    Concrete examples of comic book legends who can't get Big Two work because of party partisan politics?
    I'm not sure how much we can name names but even before this "SJW Marvel" stuff started, a semi-popular conservative writer claimed he been blackballed at Marvel by a powerful editor. The rumor was that he felt it was over politics, the counter rumor was that he'd said something "bigoted" and it got back to that editor.

But yeah, there's a belief out there that Marvel has been taken over by far left-wingers and if you want to there you have to keep your conservative values quiet. Never mind that the CEO of the company is a big Trump supporter...
    Last edited by ed2962; 05-30-2018 at 04:05 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    I'm not sure how much we can name names but even before this "SJW Marvel" stuff started, a semi-popular conservative writer claimed he been blackballed at Marvel by a powerful editor. The rumor was that he felt it was over politics, the counter rumor was that he'd said something "bigoted" and it got back to that editor.

But yeah, there's a belief out there that Marvel has been taken over by far left-wingers and if you want to there you have to keep your conservative values quiet. Never mind that the CEO of the company is a big Trump supporter...
    The only one that comes to mind is Chuck Dixon, and he seems to have put some effort in burning his bridges at Marvel and DC in 100% non-political ways.

Discounting the ones who leave by choice or due to health issues or other outside factors, there will still be some old pros who can't get work any more.

I know some will take offence, but I think the short answer is that in some cases, they aren't good enough any more. Comics as a craft has evolved since the 80s and some of the clunky dialogue and stiff art which was accepted back then won't cut it any more.

Some creators (Grant Morrison, Walter Simonson, Joe Kubert), manage to keep up - or started off so ahead of the pack that they didn't need to - and still get work into their old age. Others (Chris Claremont, Marv Wolfman, Roger Stern) haven't aged so well.

The only one that comes to mind is Chuck Dixon, and he seems to have put some effort in burning his bridges at Marvel and DC in 100% non-political ways.
    Dixon just did the 12-issue Bane series with Graham Nolan, though.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dancj View Post
    Discounting the ones who leave by choice or due to health issues or other outside factors, there will still be some old pros who can't get work any more.

I know some will take offence, but I think the short answer is that in some cases, they aren't good enough any more. Comics as a craft has evolved since the 80s and some of the clunky dialogue and stiff art which was accepted back then won't cut it any more.

Some creators (Grant Morrison, Walter Simonson, Joe Kubert), manage to keep up - or started off so ahead of the pack that they didn't need to - and still get work into their old age. Others (Chris Claremont, Marv Wolfman, Roger Stern) haven't aged so well.
    Perhaps some of those old school scribes no longer have anything to write about. My god, I was fresh out of high school (I'm 59 today) when Claremont started his legendary run on X-Men while Wolfman was revamping the horror comic genre with Tomb of Dracula. Maybe they're just chilling out in retirement with no need or desire to return to the business.
    Last edited by WestPhillyPunisher; 05-30-2018 at 05:50 AM.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Invincible Member

Dixon was who I was thinking of, but the last time I tried to look into it, I mostly just found a lot of "he said she said" stuff. So it's probably best to take it with a grain of salt.

BANNED

I don't know of any writer, from Shakespeare on down, who has written at peak form for more than 12 years. That doesn't mean that older writers can't write an occasional good story. Of course they can. But writers reach a point where they can't grind them out any longer, and they start to repeat themselves. Nobody is a bottomless pit of good stories.

I guarantee that even if one of the mentioned creators has had their ability reduced, their work today would still be mountains better than 99% of the stuff we’re getting now. The backup story for the wedding special is better than any other X-Men story for years.
    Good Marvel characters- Bring Them Back!!!

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by CliffHanger2 View Post
    I don't think the big 2 is interested in big sales these days. Consistent creative teams were key to their success but they just don't do that anymore. It's like the Storm book. Every other issue a different artist stuff like that negatively effects sales.
    This strikes me as an important point. Some of those creators may not like feeling like they're being wagged by the tail that out grew the dog.

I'm gonna guess that like a band or actor or director, they have their period when they're doing great stuff. Then that disappears. Robert De Niro is one of the worst actors out there today but in the 70s and 80s he was probably the greatest actor of all time. Maybe they just don't have it anymore. Of course there are still greats that are still... great. Like Martin Scorsese or someone like that but most talent goes away at some point. I could be wrong, could be something else entirely.

Extraordinary Member PaulBullion's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KurtW95 View Post

What do you mean by that?
    Read X-Men: Gold.
    "How does the Green Goblin have anything to do with Herpes?" - The Dying Detective

Hillary was right!

Quote Originally Posted by PaulBullion View Post
    Read X-Men: Gold.
    What does that have to do with anything?
    Good Marvel characters- Bring Them Back!!!

Why wasn't Arnold Drake working in the 1990s? Or Bob Kanigher? Or Bob Haney? Or Steve Ditko? Or Alex Toth? Or Curt Swan? Or Dick Ayers? Or Sheldon Moldoff?

Older creators are often replaced by newer creators. 'Tis the circle of life.

That's why it's particularly odd to be like, "Why is Marv Wolfman only writing two series in his 50th year as a comic book writer?" We should be thrilled that he is getting that much work.

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by KurtW95 View Post
    What does that have to do with anything?
    I'm sure Paul is half joking but the artist for that title was fired for sneaking in anti-jewish and anti-christian messages into the comic.