Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    The Detective Man The Dying Detective's Avatar

Question What Would DC Characters See if They Looked into the Mirror of Erised?

I used to like Harry Potter a lot but my interest in it these days has died out as I spotted qualities I did not like. But of all the things Rowling made nothing fascinated me more and continues to this very day than the Mirror of Erised which allows a person looking into it see the most deepest and desperate things that would make them the happiest person in the world but also serves as a symbol of the very quality in their life that defines their inner being and even shows some level of insight to their deepest fears. Now I know thanks to how unpredictable comics can be especially with so many different writers with different ideas of what a character's core should be about but if any DC character, hero, villain, supporting character, you name it looked into the Mirror of Erised what do you think they would see? And I know things like the Black Mercy and Wonder Woman's Lasso of Truth have similar functions. And the former has already revealed Superman and Batman's deepest desires. But the Mirror just fascinates me more than the others.

And to help I thought I'd leave this behind: Erised stra ehru oyt ube cafru oyt on wohsi.
    Last edited by The Dying Detective; 05-30-2018 at 08:25 AM.
    "Excellent!" I cried. "Elementary," said he

For Ivy:

Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled View Post
    For Ivy:

This is pretty accurate.

But I wonder what would Wonder Woman see if she were to look into the mirror?

Hey Baby--Wha's Happ'nin? HandofPrometheus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Dying Detective View Post
    But I wonder what would Wonder Woman see if she were to look into the mirror?
    Everyone to be happy and the world to be peaceful?

Quote Originally Posted by HandofPrometheus View Post
    Everyone to be happy and the world to be peaceful?
    That's interchangeable with her and Superman who already would see something more interesting in the mirror Krypton alive and he got to have a life there.

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

Oh man this is my favorite kind of thread.

Martian Manhunter would see his family no doubt.

Batman would obviously see his childhood self with his parents, but I like to think that as he grows older, he would just see his adopted sons + Barbara being alive and happy.

Aquaman would see Atlantis and the surface world at peace, with his baby in his and Mera's arms.

WW would want the whole world at peace, but not sure what that would look like in the mirror. Maybe a UN award for helping achieve it. (Not that she cares about the award itself). Her mother's approval wouldn't be out of place either, a hand on her shoulder.

Green Arrow would see himself as actually Robin Hood. Or, retired and having kids with Dinah, and his existing sons alright with him. Bernie is president.

Hal would see Carol with him and his nephews being safe. John might see Xanshi and Katma Tui alive.

Pre-Flashpoint Wally probably wouldn't see anything other than himself in the Flash suit and Barry patting him on the back. Maybe his twins grown up and super.

Quote Originally Posted by Lightning Rider View Post
    Oh man this is my favorite kind of thread.

Martian Manhunter would see his family no doubt.

Batman would obviously see his childhood self with his parents, but I like to think that as he grows older, he would just see his adopted sons + Barbara being alive and happy.

Aquaman would see Atlantis and the surface world at peace, with his baby in his and Mera's arms.

WW would want the whole world at peace, but not sure what that would look like in the mirror. Maybe a UN award for helping achieve it. (Not that she cares about the award itself). Her mother's approval wouldn't be out of place either, a hand on her shoulder.

Green Arrow would see himself as actually Robin Hood. Or, retired and having kids with Dinah, and his existing sons alright with him. Bernie is president.

Hal would see Carol with him and his nephews being safe. John might see Xanshi and Katma Tui alive.

Pre-Flashpoint Wally probably wouldn't see anything other than himself in the Flash suit and Barry patting him on the back. Maybe his twins grown up and super.
    I'm pretty sure in all incarnations Wonder Woman got her mother's approval already. You also missed out on the other members of the Batfamily who Batman would want to be alive and happy. I think retiring and marrying Dinah would Green Arrow's wish that would make him the happiest person in the world.

BANNED

Cass would see herself as Batman, surrounded by the people she loves most, the person she killed, either the mobster or Miranda depending on the continuity, visibly alive as well.

Superman who already would see something more interesting in the mirror Krypton alive and he got to have a life there.
    I personally think any take on Clark that has him value Krypton more than Earth to the point that he'd have rather lived there is one that misses the point of the character entirely.

Quote Originally Posted by Assam View Post
    Cass would see herself as Batman, surrounded by the people she loves most, the person she killed, either the mobster or Miranda depending on the continuity, visibly alive as well.

I personally think any take on Clark that has him value Krypton more than Earth to the point that he'd have rather lived there is one that misses the point of the character entirely.
    Hey it was Alan Moore who came up with such a fascinating idea in For A Man Who Has Everything and I just drew ideas from there. But you have a point. And also Cassandra Cain as the leader of the Batfamily is a bit of a stretch.
    Last edited by The Dying Detective; 05-30-2018 at 08:34 AM.

Astonishing Member

Batman - Well the obvious one is seeing his parents alive and well in their golden years and still standing by his side. But I think leading a normal happy life with a wife and kids, and having hung up the cowl would also come pretty close.

Superman - Difficult to say. I don't think it would be Krypton never having exploded, nor would it simply be some loved one returning from the dead. I simply think it would be a world where he isn't needed and everything and everyone is at peace.

Wonder Woman - Man's World becoming a utopia of equality, peace and prosperity like Themyscera. And maybe, on a personal level, her getting together with Steve.

Flash - It depends. His mom and dad both alive and well. Or him and Iris settling down and raising a family. Maybe just seeing the extended Flash Family happy and well.

Green Arrow - Settling down to a peaceful life with Dinah. Also a world without corruption and injustice.

Wow -- "Esired" is "desire" spelled backwards ... so glad I didn't read those Potter books....

But seriously, this sounds like a fun thread and I will be posting my notions when I have some time to think about it!

I imagine Cyborg would probably see himself in a fully-restored body and happily together with his mom and dad.
    Hey it was Alan Moore who came up with such a fascinating idea in For A Man Who Has Everything and I just drew ideas from there. But you have a point. And also Cassandra Cain as the leader of the Batfamily is a bit of a stretch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Assam View Post
    I think any "ideal world" for Superman would probably be a mix of Earth and Krypton, since that's who Superman is.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I imagine Cyborg would probably see himself in a fully-restored body and happily together with his mom and dad.

I think any "ideal world" for Superman would probably be a mix of Earth and Krypton, since that's who Superman is.
    That I did not see coming. If anyone put that in a comic it might sell a lot.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    Wow -- "Esired" is "desire" spelled backwards ... so glad I didn't read those Potter books....
    Not true.

Always pay attention to your spelling when mocking something.