Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Mighty Member

Detective Chimp is from Africa? You learn something everyday huh?
    Imagine being proud to have negative traits. I can’t relate.

DC: Justice League, The Flash, Justice League Dark, Superman, Action Comics, Green Arrow, Justice League Odyssey, The Terrifics, Teen Titans, Titans, Brimstone, Female Furies, Damage, Heroes In Crisis

Marvel: The Punisher, Cosmic Ghost Rider, Venom, X-23, Cloak and Dagger, Jessica Jones, Sentry

Indies: Unnatural, Jeepers Creepers, Project Superpowers, Black Hammer, Ninja-K

Quote Originally Posted by Bigwinnie101 View Post
    There are no set teams and this is talking about a metahuman arms race so alot of these superheroes are government affiliated or have ties to the government. Alot of the Heroes in africa have no ties to their specific countries governments and have fought them a few times so they would not be on this list.
    Well...in David Zavimbe's stint as Batwing there was a superhero team called The Kingdom that protected all of Africa (there was a whole conspiracy revenge-murder thing) that was supposedly known throughout Africa. I was referring to the sheer amount of metahumans in Africa, if you look at that title, that DC never does anything with. As for their government affiliation; how could we know they aren't tied to their government if a lot of them are largly unexplained? Mostly likely, DC probably didn't include any African heroes because there aren't any big name african characters right now and there aren't any that are important to the story they are currently telling. My point is, there are a lot of metahumans in Africa and DC doesn't address that.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by philosopop View Post
    no sign or mention of Beatriz Costa, aka Fire ?

Latin/Central America got snubbed.
    Quote Originally Posted by HandofPrometheus View Post
    She's part of the JLI so DC pretends she doesn't exist.
    I don't think that's it so much as its just...Latin America has never really been involved in an arms race on a global scale in modern times, really.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Korath View Post
    Well, save for Nightrunner, the French ones (that I could relate to, being a French myself) are rather uninspiring and more or less what Americans seems to think about France : Notre-Dames (Hunchback), aristocratic femmes fatales in strange clothes (Crimson Fox) etc.
    Thats the same for the other European countries, most of the characters (heroes and villains) are based on some culture stereotype.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    It's kind of ironic that in all these international teams we don't have any of the JLI represented here.

I mean, the Russian team doesn't even have a Rocket Red!
    I wonder if that's intentional. As in, I wonder if JLI characters will come into play somehow as the story progresses. I'm not even trying to guess what might happen during the rest of the series. I've been so surprised with each and every issue and I just hope that will continue. If a whole team is missing though (as JLI apparently is) that might be a tell.

Well, it's not like JLI was all that international. Rocket Red not being there is a surprise, but I wouldn't expect Brazil to be involved in an arms race only so Fire could get a nod.
    The most prominent international heroes from JLI were Fire, Ice and Rocket, but most of the others were either American (Guy, Canary, Blue Beetle, Booster Gold, Batman, Doctor Fate, Shazam, Captain Atom etc) or were aliens (Martian Manhunter, Mister Miracle, Oberon).
    Oh, there was Doctor Light too, but she didn't stick around for long, sadly. If we count JLE, there are a bit more international heroes, but cultural representation wasn't really JLI's strongest suit (and I do like the series, don't kill me).

Incredible Member

Ordained by the Queen. I love stupid nonsense like that. At least we didnt get France's line up - they may as well just have made Cheese-eater, Surrender Monkey, Troubled Poet, and The Mysterious Man in the Black Poloneck compared to that lineup

Incredible Member

The nation's used where all players of the cold war. A allogrey with the original watchmen....

Quote Originally Posted by Factor View Post
    Well, it's not like JLI was all that international. Rocket Red not being there is a surprise, but I wouldn't expect Brazil to be involved in an arms race only so Fire could get a nod.
    The most prominent international heroes from JLI were Fire, Ice and Rocket, but most of the others were either American (Guy, Canary, Blue Beetle, Booster Gold, Batman, Doctor Fate, Shazam, Captain Atom etc) or were aliens (Martian Manhunter, Mister Miracle, Oberon).
    Oh, there was Doctor Light too, but she didn't stick around for long, sadly. If we count JLE, there are a bit more international heroes, but cultural representation wasn't really JLI's strongest suit (and I do like the series, don't kill me).
    Oberon's not an alien.

Quote Originally Posted by Timber Wolf-By-Night View Post
    Oberon's not an alien.
    Doesn't change my point much, does it?

Quote Originally Posted by Factor View Post
    I have a question: can be Booster Gold be considered "american"? Is the concept of nation state valid in the C.25? Most modern nation-states didn't exists as such 300 years ago. Will they exists 400 years in the future?
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Quote Originally Posted by Thor-Ul View Post
    I have a question: can be Booster Gold be considered "american"? Is the concept of nation state valid in the C.25? Most modern nation-states didn't exists as such 300 years ago. Will they exists 400 years in the future?
    Yes, because he was originally depicted as American. I don't think they ever hinted at a "post-nations" kind of future for him and his characterization is pretty in line with how other American heroes are portrayed. Now if he was from the LOSH timeline, you'd have a point, as there is only one Earth government as far as I remember.
    As of the New 52, he was changed to Canadian, but only so their new JLI seemed more international than it was.