All-New Member

Default Hal Jordan And the GLC starting

Hey all! I recently found myself collecting all of HJ&tGLC books shortly after FCBD and I was wondering if this was a good jumping on point.
    I think i skipped most of Green Lantern New 52. At least I know I stopped shortly after Venditti started. I don't recall if I stopped because I didnt like the direction of the comic or if it was just timing (I often stop reading comics for a short time then jump back in).

Anyway its summer and now I'm back in. Is Rebirth HJ&tGLC a good starting point to jump back into green lantern or should I really do my homework and read all of N52 too? I have read all of Geoff Johns run from 2005 till whenever he finished. Does the New 52 Green Lantern require me to also read GLC and New Guardians because of cross overs etc? I don't mind going back and reading all that stuff if it is good, but if I can skip it I will.

How is Green Lanterns title? I wasn't a big fan of the new earthbound GLs so I never really got into the book. I mostly like Kyle Rayner but to my knowledge he isnt staring in any books right now. HJ, Guy and Jon are all cool too so I don't mind reading their stuff.

Thanks for the help and suggestions!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Autobot Tran View Post
    How is Green Lanterns title? I wasn't a big fan of the new earthbound GLs so I never really got into the book. I mostly like Kyle Rayner but to my knowledge he isnt staring in any books right now. HJ, Guy and Jon are all cool too so I don't mind reading their stuff.
    Kyle does join the cast of Hal N' Pals part way into it, from what I've heard, generally getting more focus than Guy and John. In regards to the book's quality, I haven't read it and opinions seem pretty split down the middle. People either seem to love it or hate it.

As for Green Lanterns, I would highly recommend you check out the first run by Sam Humphries. I didn't know the first thing about Simon and Jessica before starting the book and now they're my favorite GLs, the run being my second favorite from Rebirth.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Assam View Post
    Kyle does join the cast of Hal N' Pals part way into it, from what I've heard, generally getting more focus than Guy and John. In regards to the book's quality, I haven't read it and opinions seem pretty split down the middle. People either seem to love it or hate it.

As for Green Lanterns, I would highly recommend you check out the first run by Sam Humphries. I didn't know the first thing about Simon and Jessica before starting the book and now they're my favorite GLs, the run being my second favorite from Rebirth.
    OK! I'll give it a shot then, I didn't really like them from their stint in Justice League N52, they were on that title for awhile and didnt spark my interest, but I'm always willing to give more GL books a shot.

Hmm, hopefully HJ&tGLC is good cuz I spent a good amount of time hunting down all the titles lol. I am willing to buy a complete set of N52GL + GLNewGuardians + GLCorps if those storylines continue into Rebirth and worth a read.

Astonishing Member

The New 52 Green Lantern crossovers:
    - Lights Out, involving all four Lantern titles (GL, GLC, New Guardians, Red Lanterns), available as a trade volume
    - Uprising, a Green Lantern and Green Lantern Corps crossover (Green Lantern Corps Vol 5 trade)
    - Godhead, all five Lantern titles (GL, GLC, New Guardians, Red Lanterns and Sinestro, plus a Green Lantern/New Gods one-shot), available as a trade volume

As you can see this period was relatively crossover heavy. For Lights Out and Godhead, my advice would be the event trades, which collect all the issues for the crossover.

DC You for Green Lantern doesn't have any crossovers. The Jim Gordon Batmech guest stars in issue #47 or #48, but it's a continuity-light and a brief guest spot (and yes, Hal makes the bunny ears remark about Batmech). Green Lantern Corps has a couple of six issue mini-series, Lost Army and Edge of Oblivion, which are good reads, however the writer on Lost Army didn't have as many issues to work with as he expected, so if you go into that don't expect any major resolution. The setting for those is the universe before our's, so that explains why Hal is pretty much the only Green Lantern around. Kyle was in Tom King's Omega Men 12 issue mini-series, but the only follow-through of that in Rebirth is Scrapps having a guest role in the Inhuman Trafficking arc of Green Lanterns.

In terms of one-off issues with Hal, there's the Green Lantern tie-in one-shot for Futures End, which as far as I know is only collected in the Futures End omnibus collection. You can get it on digital though, if you're just after that one issue. It's stand-alone. The other is the Green Lantern one-shot for the Justice League Darkseid War event. It's considered the best Hal material for the latter New 52 period, and is collected in the Justice League Darkseid War Power of the Gods trade. It's very much a character study, and you can glean all the plot you need from what's given in the issue.

Kyle joins Hal Jordan and the Green Lantern Corps in the second arc. The first arc is about resolving the Sinestro Corp threads from when that title ended with New 52 and bringing the Green Lantern Corps back into the picture.

The trades of HJ & GLC provide all you'll need. The first volume includes the Rebirth issue, which establishes the Sinestro Corp and the GLC returning to the rest of the universe.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by jbmasta View Post
    The New 52 Green Lantern crossovers:
    - Lights Out, involving all four Lantern titles (GL, GLC, New Guardians, Red Lanterns), available as a trade volume
    - Uprising, a Green Lantern and Green Lantern Corps crossover (Green Lantern Corps Vol 5 trade)
    - Godhead, all five Lantern titles (GL, GLC, New Guardians, Red Lanterns and Sinestro, plus a Green Lantern/New Gods one-shot), available as a trade volume

As you can see this period was relatively crossover heavy. For Lights Out and Godhead, my advice would be the event trades, which collect all the issues for the crossover.

DC You for Green Lantern doesn't have any crossovers. The Jim Gordon Batmech guest stars in issue #47 or #48, but it's a continuity-light and a brief guest spot (and yes, Hal makes the bunny ears remark about Batmech). Green Lantern Corps has a couple of six issue mini-series, Lost Army and Edge of Oblivion, which are good reads, however the writer on Lost Army didn't have as many issues to work with as he expected, so if you go into that don't expect any major resolution. The setting for those is the universe before our's, so that explains why Hal is pretty much the only Green Lantern around. Kyle was in Tom King's Omega Men 12 issue mini-series, but the only follow-through of that in Rebirth is Scrapps having a guest role in the Inhuman Trafficking arc of Green Lanterns.

In terms of one-off issues with Hal, there's the Green Lantern tie-in one-shot for Futures End, which as far as I know is only collected in the Futures End omnibus collection. You can get it on digital though, if you're just after that one issue. It's stand-alone. The other is the Green Lantern one-shot for the Justice League Darkseid War event. It's considered the best Hal material for the latter New 52 period, and is collected in the Justice League Darkseid War Power of the Gods trade. It's very much a character study, and you can glean all the plot you need from what's given in the issue.

Kyle joins Hal Jordan and the Green Lantern Corps in the second arc. The first arc is about resolving the Sinestro Corp threads from when that title ended with New 52 and bringing the Green Lantern Corps back into the picture.

The trades of HJ & GLC provide all you'll need. The first volume includes the Rebirth issue, which establishes the Sinestro Corp and the GLC returning to the rest of the universe.
    Thanks for the detailed outline! I'll definitely look at that. I already own HJ&tGLC, I just havent started reading. I was mainly wondering if I would be lost not having finished Green Lantern N52 and if it was worth it to go back and read those or just go ahead and pick up with HJ&tGLC

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

I would skip the post-Johns New 52 stuff and start with HJ&GLCorps. It is very much a Hal Jordan-centric comic, but Venditti gives plenty of love to John, Guy & Kyle in equal measure.

If you have read all of Johns' Green Lantern, you can start with HJatGLC (that's what I did). In my opinion, HJatGLC is the best book to come out of Rebirth, so I think it is worth reading.
    “Somewhere, in our darkest night, we made up the story of a man who will never let us down.”

- Grant Morrison on Superman

Quote Originally Posted by Assam View Post

Seconding Assam's recommendation of Humphries' GLs. I was nonplussed by Vendetti's HJ&GLC and dropped it pretty quickly. Whenever I'd check out an issue it left me cold.

Humphries on GLs though was fantastic. Such a shame they replaced him with Seeley. There was a terrible drop-off in quality when that happened.