Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Lonewolf36 View Post
    Kingdom is now defunct with most of it's members dead but i would have liked to see Mexico's Justicia included. Also nice to see Golden Pharaoh from the old Super Powers toy line make it into mainstream DC.

Justicia

So where’s samurai and the heroes of japan?

Quote Originally Posted by protege View Post

So where’s samurai and the heroes of japan?
    Good question Japan has more than enough heroes to make a good team.

Extraordinary Member

Good question Japan has more than enough heroes to make a good team.
    My guess? Well, assuming that the geopolitics of the DCU are similar enough to the geopolitics of the real world, Japan itself isn't really supposed to have a military and the Japanese constitution denounces their right to wage war or aggression as a nation. They have the Japanese Self-Defense Forces (JSDF), which is basically a fully functioning military, but that's just it: they can ONLY respond to aggression in self-defense, not instigate it. So, them entering a metahuman arms race might be deemed as aggressive behavior.

Plus, Japan is a major US ally, so maybe their government just assumes that the U.S. superhero teams (and whatever heroes they have) will protect them and doesn't see the need to create their own government-sanctioned team?

Quote Originally Posted by Zeeguy91 View Post
    My guess? Well, assuming that the geopolitics of the DCU are similar enough to the geopolitics of the real world, Japan itself isn't really supposed to have a military and the Japanese constitution denounces their right to wage war or aggression as a nation. They have the Japanese Self-Defense Forces (JSDF), which is basically a fully functioning military, but that's just it: they can ONLY respond to aggression in self-defense, not instigate it. So, them entering a metahuman arms race might be deemed as aggressive behavior.
    That exactly what i was coming to say.

After all it's call the metahumans ARMS RACE

Plus, Japan is a major US ally, so maybe their government just assumes that the U.S. superhero teams (and whatever heroes they have) will protect them and doesn't see the need to create their own government-sanctioned team?
    United Kingdom is also a close ally and it's not stopping them. Also Japan would want its own force in case of attack to defend there country so i don't think they would exclude themselves so easily. No leader of a country is gonna set back and wait for another nation to defend them.

Extraordinary Member

United Kingdom is also a close ally and it's not stopping them. Also Japan would want its own force in case of attack to defend there country so i don't think they would exclude themselves so easily. No leader of a country is gonna set back and wait for another nation to defend them.
    Well, again, like I said, Japan's constitution actually FORBIDS them from being aggressors. A program aimed at developing metahumans might be deemed illegal, actually. The UK constitution doesn't have that limitation.

Plus, in real life, Japan kinda does rely on the U.S. military to help defend them. A lot of JSDF operations are carried out jointly with U.S. armed forces or the UN and there are several U.S. military bases on the Japanese islands. A lot of countries actually rely on a U.S. military presence for protection from other regional powers.

The real reason we're not seeing Japan represented here, though? They probably just didn't think to include it. Plus, this is all assuming that the Supermen Theory turns out to be true as opposed to just a crackpot theory in the DCU.
    Last edited by Green Goblin of Sector 2814; 05-31-2018 at 08:27 PM.

Well, again, like I said, Japan's constitution actually FORBIDS them from being aggressors. A program aimed at developing metahumans might be deemed illegal, actually. The UK constitution doesn't have that limitation.

Plus, in real life, Japan kinda does rely on the U.S. military to help defend them. A lot of JSDF operations are carried our jointly with U.S. armed forces or the UN and there are several U.S. military bases on the Japanese islands. A lot of countries actually rely on a U.S. military presence for protection from other regional powers.

The real reason we're not seeing Japan represented here, though? They probably just didn't think to include it. Plus, this is all assuming that the Supermen Theory turns out to be true as opposed to just a crackpot theory in the DCU.
    Anythings possible, We will probably see other teams come up later. This reminds me a bit of the 52 Weekly series in some ways.

Quote Originally Posted by Assam View Post
    I really don't understand people's reactions to this.
    The reactions are based on the book in context. It's hard to get upset about continuity if you're reading the book because it's set in the future and it was intended to synch up at some much earlier point and, if you're reading it, you're likely swept up in it. The concepts are exciting because of their context, not because of any particular thing they mean for the future. I'm not being articulate and maybe someone else can explain better but the only thing I can figure out to say is you'd understand if you were reading (and enjoying) the book.

Not saying you should. That's up to you and obviously you don't want to. I'm only trying to answer your question above.

As a reader (and lover) of the series I am loving the detail, the complexity, the mystery, and the finesse with which it's told. I couldn't pull out any one page and say, "Here, this is why." These teams are a detail in a super intricate story. My excitement (at least) is impossible to understand out of the context of the rest of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Assam View Post
    It's a crap Outsiders team, especially compared to the one we're about to get, and I hate the idea of the JLC merging with the Great Ten, something which doesn't even make sense.
    If you're reading the book it makes perfect sense.

The UK has a pretty big military that's waged wars on its own, so it makes sense that the arms race allegory would include an entry for them. Doubly so since they were an important part of the actual arms race, being a prominent nuclear power in Europe allied with the US.

Japan, on the other hand, wasn't allowed to have anything resembling a military until a few years ago. The JSDF is closer to a UN peacekeeping force than a traditional military. That, combined with the lack of role Japan played in the Cold War arms race or current political turmoil, pretty easily explains why they're absent here.

India having a role here is what really clenches it as based on Cold War era nuclear powers, IMO.

International Teams and Heroes. Iwould love to see these teams used along with Africa's Kingdom and Mexico's Justicia.

Peoples Heroes

This is GREAT! I loved the post-Crisis 80's when DC seemed to notice that the world was getting more globalized and showed this in their books, especially in the Ostrander, Giffen and Barr's Outsider's corner of DC, with guys like the Global Guardians, New Guardians, People's Heroes, Rocket Red, JLI, etc... filled with heroes of other nationalities. Then, the late 90's/early 2000's brought DC back to the US centric focus (With few exceptions, Marvel never left the New York centric focus). I applaud if this brings more global adventures and characters into the forefront. That's the kind of diversity I find really interesting.

Peace

CBR home page comes through twice today:

https://www.cbr.com/doomsday-clocks-...ace-explained/

https://www.cbr.com/doomsday-clock-5...h-of-superman/

If you want more on the teams of international heroes, a lot of your answers are in one or the other story.

It's good to see these developments in these characters. It was one of the plots I liked more in 52 (the weekly).
    About the map, we could say the lack of Japan representation is because the map is talking about the govemenents founded superteams. Japan still could had their own superheroes (as the Super Young Team and Big Hero Science), but they couldn't be "drafted" or receive public finance, but work as private institutions. In the DCU, Japan doesn't lack his populance of superhumans: Dr. Light, Goraiko, Ultimon, Most Excellent Superbat, Mr Nobody, Hammersuit-X, etc).

That could be the why others team are not mentioned, because they work not as goverment backed. They can be sancioned but not financed or promoted, which is here, the motive to be mentioned.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by BatmanJones View Post
    CBR home page comes through twice today:

https://www.cbr.com/doomsday-clocks-...ace-explained/

https://www.cbr.com/doomsday-clock-5...h-of-superman/

If you want more on the teams of international heroes, a lot of your answers are in one or the other story.
    DC has way too many international superheroes. There's potential here. It may be far-fetched but I think some sort of imprint focused on superheroes from other countries would be cool. I think DC is at that point where they can really experiment.
    Imagine being proud to have negative traits. I can’t relate.

DC: Justice League, The Flash, Justice League Dark, Superman, Action Comics, Green Arrow, Justice League Odyssey, The Terrifics, Teen Titans, Titans, Brimstone, Female Furies, Damage, Heroes In Crisis

Marvel: The Punisher, Cosmic Ghost Rider, Venom, X-23, Cloak and Dagger, Jessica Jones, Sentry

Indies: Unnatural, Jeepers Creepers, Project Superpowers, Black Hammer, Ninja-K

Some members i would have liked to seen on the teams.

People's Heroes:
    Anya Savenlovich (Green Lantern) - Russian cosmonaut and friend of Kyle Rayner.
    Bear - Young bear like hero from Batman Confidential. Love to see the interactions between him an Outsider's Wylde and Hero Group's Zoolog who are also bear related characters.
    Rostov - Werewolf from the Warlord series.

Great Twenty:
    Angry Wizard, Barefoot Tiger and Dragonfire - from the Outsiders series.
    Atom (Ryan Choi)
    Claw (John Chan) - Primal Force member
    Peacock Batman (Dick Grayson)'s ally.
    Suzie Ming - Green Arrow ally.

Outsiders:
    Scream Queen - Scare Tactics member and Markovian vampire.

Doomed:
    "Emerald Bowman" - Green Arrows of the World

Justice League Europe
    Phantom - Green Arrows of the World

Knights Inc.
    Bowman - Green Arrows of the World

Other teams:

Argentina:
    Super-Malon
    El Bagual
    Cachiru
    Cimarrón
    El Lobizón
    Pampero
    La Salamanca
    Vizacacha
    El Yaguareté
    El Gaucho

Lower Pluxa:
    Hero Group - Global Guardians rivals from Justice League Quarterly
    Compass
    Desensitizer
    Evolvo
    Good Time
    Mover n’ Shaker
    Particle Man
    Wrapper
    Zoolog

Australia:
    Tasmanian Devil
    Betty Clawman
    Dark Ranger
    Diablo Blacksmith
    Argonaut

Canada:
    Dark-Crow
    Sparx
    Equinox
    Centrix
    Frostbite (Snow elf from Young Heroes in Love)
    Freight Train

Greece:
    Fury
    Olympian
    Manticore
    Gorgon
    Harpi
    Klepto

Italy:
    Alpha Centurion
    Catapult
    Legionary