Page 17 of 53 FirstFirst ... 713141516171819202127 ... LastLast
    Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by manofsteel1979 View Post

As a fan of the Rebirth run and all that it entails, even I understand the pre MOS status quo can't go on indefinitely.Between Convergence, the Lois and Clark series and the double shipping Action and Superman runs We've had the equivalent of over 4 and a half years worth of stories in little over under years. It's frankly time to rethink that aspect of this universe a little bit and find a new angle to tackle it from. Again that's the only thing i am getting from what Bendis is saying and so far doing.
    I agree, I simply don't want the family dynamic dropped. The core of Clark, Lois and Jon is all I really want to be held over. Superman doesn't need to be focused entirely on raising his son for the next ten years, but he should remain married and with a son. That development has worked very well for the character and provides a lot of great potential stories for DC as a whole. Based on what he's said and what we've seen so far, Bendis agrees. I don't think he's trying to dismantle anything so much as tell a story about it in a rough patch, and that's fine! I just don't want it to ultimately dismantle what Rebirth moved Heaven and Earth to establish (which Bendis doesn't seem intent on doing).

I'm giving the current team the benefit of the doubt. So far it's been a good read and I'm excited to see what happens next... Though we're being spoiled right now and will have to go back to two issues a month soon and that'll be hard!

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    I'm not reading this as Clark and Lois being estranged as in she's left him and they're genuinely on the rocks. I'd be very surprised if that was the case. I still think they're separated via "Super" means, and that's why it has to basically look that way from everyone else's perspective.

Now, would it bother me if they were "on a break"? Not really. Its been done before. But the fact it has been done before is why it would be slightly disappointing as that's less interesting than what appears to be going on. I know the couple were apart during New Krypton. But any emotional beats in regard to that was completely ignored. One of the many reasons that storyline sucked, in fact.
    One thing we’ve been spoiled is that at the end of this series, Earth is in the Phantom Zone. It’s possible that what happened to Lois and Jon is they got shunted across to the PZ and Rogon Zaar does the same to Earth?

Astonishing Member Dispenser Of Truth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jackolover View Post
    One thing we’ve been spoiled is that at the end of this series, Earth is in the Phantom Zone. It’s possible that what happened to Lois and Jon is they got shunted across to the PZ and Rogon Zaar does the same to Earth?
    That looks to be happening in Superman #1, not Man of Steel (or if it does happen in MOS, there hasn't been any indication yet).
    Buh-bye

Incredible Member

If they're all still separated by the time that story kicks off, maybe it'll be up to Lois and Jon (and Jor) to find a way tor release the Earth without Superman's help (he'd be bust holding things together within the Zone)?

Ok, so issue #2 wasn't quite as good as #1 for me, mainly because of the Rogol Zaar factor, which continues to underwhelm. I hate his look here even more than in his debut. But that last shot begs the question ...

Might Rogol Zaar be a Czarnian himself? Because he bears more than a passing resemblance to Lobo, esp with the bike.

Quote Originally Posted by jackolover View Post
    Thanks for using spoiler tags.

Quote Originally Posted by Dispenser Of Truth View Post
    That looks to be happening in Superman #1, not Man of Steel (or if it does happen in MOS, there hasn't been any indication yet).
    Yeah, my mistake. I must have assumed it happened in MOS for Earth to already be in the Phantom Zone in Superman #1.

Quote Originally Posted by The Cheat View Post
    Thanks for using spoiler tags.
    Yeah, sometimes time passes so quickly, I forget not everybody has that information. I should do spoiler tags more often.

I was reading an issue of Tomasi’s run that I had missed and it struck me that his Superman seems kind of boring compared to the way Bendis writes him. There was no real sense of humor, charm, or wit. Just the worried father. If Bendis’ whole run is as good as his first 2 issues he may become one of my favorite Superman writers. It’s far too early to tell but my fingers are crossed that he can keep up the level of enjoyment.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    I was reading an issue of Tomasi’s run that I had missed and it struck me that his Superman seems kind of boring compared to the way Bendis writes him. There was no real sense of humor, charm, or wit. Just the worried father.
    He did have charm and wit, as well as wisdom.

And Clark's a worried father even in Bendis' two issues, in fact, everything you read in Man of Steel with Clark (the wit, the charm) is a front for the fact he IS a worried father, so I fail to see your point.
    Last edited by Miles To Go; 06-10-2018 at 11:12 AM.

I really liked Tomasi's run, but I do think Bendis' characterization has more of the Bronze Age feel I really enjoy. Strong Bronze Age influence in general, from the focus on the Planet to the emphasis on supporting characters to the use of classic Toyman. That's my favorite era, so I'm loving it so far.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

The Bronze age was WGBS though.

I'm glad to see worried dad mode shoved into two pages instead of being the whole point of the story as it was. The only very small concern I have, like someone mentioned, is that the Fabok flashes in these back to back issues make it feel like a crawl. If the first of his two pages this week is just a repeat of that big alien pod I think I'll have my first real criticism.

The scene between crystalien and oan, where Bendis forgot to translate from Bendis speak, was hilarious.

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    He did have charm and wit, as well as wisdom.

And Clark's a worried father even in Bendis' two issues, in fact, everything you read in Man of Steel with Clark (the wit, the charm) is a front for the fact he IS a worried father, so I fail to see your point.
    Yeah his inner monologue is a front?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    Yeah his inner monologue is a front?
    His inner thoughts reveal he flashes back to what happened to Lois and Jon. Are you willing to ignore that? Don't think so.

It's a front. Fact.
    Last edited by Miles To Go; 06-10-2018 at 12:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Atlas View Post
    Bendis arrogantly told CBR earlier this week that Superman fans "being good people" would be "apologizing" in a few months.

Perhaps, but I've seen nothing to apologize for yet.

I really enjoyed the opening bit with the Batman villains, the fire scene, and Superman's voice throughout. The super-hearing stuff was fantastic, playing on Clark's humanity and his nobility as a man who could eavesdrop on anyone he wants but is ever responsible. Also really enjoyed how Bendis had Superman deal with the fire, took me back to his solution to Joker's poison gas attack on the UN back in "A Death In The Family." Yep, I'm old.

Here's what I have a lot of trouble with:

1-assuming Rogol is addressing this "Circle" in the distant past, there's still time for Krypton to move from an imperialist form of government to the isolationists they have to be for Jor-El and Lara's dilemma to make sense. If this is only, say, 50 years in the past, it doesn't work at all and is an unnecessary retcon. Bendis has been known to change or ignore continuity to fit a story. I hate it when writers do that but I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt.
    Well, #2 seems to establish that Rogol engineers the explosion shortly after he is refused permission to 'handle' Krypton by the Circle... so the Krypton of Jor-El's time was trading (in Rogol's view in an imperialist manner) with other worlds, and if Jor-El still had enough warning to get Kal-El offworld, they should have been able to evacuate thousands more in their merchant ships.
    Last edited by vitruvian; 06-10-2018 at 02:33 PM.