Page 42 of 53 FirstFirst ... 3238394041424344454652 ... LastLast
    Last Son of Shaolin GreatKungLao's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Soubhagya View Post
    I am unable to see the negativity (unless people are joking). Instead of enjoying what's in hand, fans are complaining about the future. We are complaining about something which has not happened yet?

If Bendis does something bad i will criticize him. But for now my only complaint is Kandor. Its like showing the candy but not giving it. Or showing food to a hungry person and snatching it. I liked the tribute in this issue. But please let some Kandorians survive and start a 'New Kandor'.
    He wrote OOC Lois like right now. As one of the concerns. Lois Lane would never meh at Daily Planet. That was her life.

The drawer gag was really funny and I loved the little callback to it with Lois mentioning her desk drawer. I wonder what she whispered to him.

I can tell that Clark not being able to call is gonna cause some problems when Lois and Jon get back, but they’re a family. Lois will understand why he didn’t call. And, who knows, maybe Kara will run into them and get them all caught up. Speaking of Kara, this mini made me excited to read a Supergirl comic. I’ve enjoyed the show (despite it’s missteps), but she’s never been a character I needed to follow closely, but now that her and Krypto are gonna journey through space together (with Kevin Maguire on art!) I’m excited for her book.

Gambit from the X-Men is my favorite character, but I don’t like him and Rogue together. X-Men Gold #30 really bummed me out. If it weren’t for Bendis writing Superman, I may have well given up on comics (now I’m just giving up on the X-Men). Thanks to this series, I’m excited for all the Super titles, the new Justice League books, Nightwing, a bunch of stuff. This did what Rebirth didn’t do for me, it got me excited about the DC Universe.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GreatKungLao View Post
    He wrote OOC Lois like right now. As one of the concerns. Lois Lane would never meh at Daily Planet. That was her life.
    I saw scans of this online. Not the whole issue, but if they are a complete set of Lois scenes, I don't see where she is being "meh" about the Daily Planet. That is one part of her life, Jon qnd Clark are another, and so is that sweet, sweet book deal. It's not like the job isn't waiting for her when she gets back, Perry is giving no indication that he wouldn't welcome her back aboard immediately.

Master Hero Vladimir

Man of Steel ended in a strong note, even if it disappointed in a few aspects. Now that Jon expresses his fears about killing millions in the future, it becomes a bit more understandable why would he want to go with Jor-El, whose scientific expertise outstrips that of Clark by a large margin. If there is a chance for Jon to avoid that horrible future, then it stands to reason that he would take it, even if Clark advises him to focus on the present and not worry too much about the future. Lois, ever the protective mother, decides to go with Jon, even if she must sacrifice her job at the Daily Planet to do so. You'd think her departure from the Daily Planet would evoke a stronger reaction, but Lois just shrugs and says she still has her job as an book writer.

The finale also reveals that Jor-El feels Clark is not doing enough to help the people of Earth. Since he is a member of the House of El, which bears the symbol of hope, it's a bit understandable that he offers some criticism to Clark's way of doing things. Jor-El comes across as "maybe that's the way you do things, but that doesn't mean I have to like it" kind of guy. Maybe he learned something after The Oz Effect. Clark feels as if Jor-El is trying to take control over his family, but fortunately, the situation doesn't degenerate into an ugly brawl, as is common in comic books. This whole experience leaves Clark with something to think about. No one enjoys a huge smackdown from the universe, or even someone we love and respect, but sometimes that can be a great medicine for the soul.

Compared to the Kent family drama, the battle with Rogol Zaar feels like a subplot. Superman kinda tricks Rogol into lowering his guard and takes his doomsday machine into space. I never really understood why is it that Superman cannot outfight Rogol. He fought other heavyweights (Brainiac, Doomsday, Darkseid) and lived to tell the tale. What makes Rogol so different? Even after this miniseries has ended, Rogol kinda feels generic. The miniseries just stopped explaining his motivations and focused on the threat he poses to Superman and humanity. Supergirl's reaction to sending Rogol into the Phantom Zone is both funny and human. Despite the witty dialogue, Bendis succeeds in bringing humanity to these lofty characters. Also, everyone knows the Phantom Zone is just a temporary measure. I guess Bendis did read Action Comics #999. I liked the small ceremony Superman and his friends hold for Kandor. Whatever grievances Rogol might have against Kryptonians, the people of Kandor were just innocent bystanders and Rogol was the unmitigated aggressor, even if the series just stops explaining who he is.

Considering Man of Steel was just the appetizer and the main event comes in the upcoming Superman and Action Comics isues, the final issue opens up multiple situations for the characters to indulge into in the future. With Man of Steel over, I can almost certainly say Bendis had a strong beginning with the Superman saga and I'm looking forward to see what he brings to the table. Hopefully, it will be enough to keep the momentum he built up with this series.

Always Rakzo

Jesus, this issue might be even worse than the last one in terms of bad characterization. It was already off to see Jon wanting to leave his family last time but now it turns out that he's leaving because he thinks there's something wrong with him due that the Teen Titans didn't accept him... which is something that was already addressed by Tomasi in Super Sons with far less angst.

Oh and Lois is accompanying him for no other reason but to create drama if you're honest with it.

The way how they defeat Rogol is logical but leads to Kara leaving to learn more about him which if the previous two examples tell you something is just to make Clark feel more miserable and lonely.

Good art though. Overall, this miniseries didn't start badly but it went that way pretty quickly and creates an ill-conceived set-up that I'm not sure I want to follow.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nelliebly View Post
    Excuse me? Yeah nice try with the strawman argument but that’s not what I said so step back and do not put words in my mouth. I actually am a married woman with a powerful job and I’m a mother so you will not dictate to ME how a caring mother and a strong wife acts when her child is in peril. Are you a mother? I didn’t think so.

Your comment is off. Parents are a team. Lois and Clark are a team. Clark has never dictated her life but when you are married you work together. When your husband asks you to please reconsider, you reflect and you stay a team. That’s the Lois I know. That’s what she would have done.

And Lois has always been a caring mother. Sometimes being a loving mother means putting your foot down. It means telling your child “no.” It means listening to them and helping them but also not allowing someone to come into your home and insult your child and your husband without a fight. Where was the fight? Lois is a fighter. Where was the fight when she was fired from her job? She literally said “oh well.” It’s poor, forced writing.

I understand what it means to sacrifice for children more than you can possibly imagine. This was poorly done.

And as far as “wait and see” for a mini? No. I’m done “waiting and seeing.” All Lois fans are ever told to do by you guys and DC alike is “wait and see.” Wait and see. I’ve waited long enough and there’s nothing to see. Our money and time is valuable and equal to yours and we owe Bendis and DC nothing.
    I actually agree with this.

Bendis has a long history of transforming characters and their peculiar situations into ones he want to write about (Avengers Disassembled?) even when it doesn't make sense. Now, I'm not at all saying that Bendis is doing anything close to that here but the way Lois acted in the last issue of the series was....bizarre to say the least.

I mean to even consider going on a galactic trip with a clearly crazy Jor-El doesn't make any sense.

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    Not only has it not happened yet, there is no solid evidence that it even WILL happen. If/when it actually happens it will be fair to judge accordingly, but until then I don't think it is. Concerns are one thing, and understandable, but assuming the worst before things are actually finished is another. Serialized storytelling should be allowed to play out and tell its story before it is judged.
    Quote Originally Posted by Soubhagya View Post
    I am unable to see the negativity (unless people are joking). Instead of enjoying what's in hand, fans are complaining about the future. We are complaining about something which has not happened yet?

If Bendis does something bad i will criticize him. But for now my only complaint is Kandor. Its like showing the candy but not giving it. Or showing food to a hungry person and snatching it. I liked the tribute in this issue. But please let some Kandorians survive and start a 'New Kandor'.
    Both Quoted for truth and co-Signed.

The Goal posts keep moving. Initially it was " oh no! Bendis is going to kill Lois and Jon!" . Then when it was clear that wasn't happening then the worry became " oh no! They are going to so something to Jon and Lois and Clark are divorcing!" When that didn't happen it morphed into " oh no! They are going to have Jon leave and Lois is going to be angry at Clark and she's going to leave him!" and now that we all know Lois and Jon are simply going to have their own subplot separate from Superman for the next while,now it's somehow character assasination of Lois because she didnt put her foot down and forced her Son to stay and would dare put his wellbeing above her job temporarily, and therefore Bendis has ruined Lois and thus his whole run in now tainted.

I am convinced now that some of us here already decided months ago that Bendis on Superman is a non starter and there is nothing short of his firing or quiting or apologizing for taking the books from the previous teams or daring even to entertain any story idea that in any way alters any aspect of the Rebirth Status quo that will change their mind or even give this all a fair shot.

That's their prerogative of course. They are welcome to not buy the books and support it. They are welcome to express their opinions on all this. However I do wish people would be more up front about all this and stop moving the goal posts. If Bendis on Superman itself is a non starter, or the idea of Lois and Jon or Lois herself being temporarily separated from Clark and off earth is the issue, then say so. No need to exaggerate or assume the worst for the future to be outraged.

If Bendis does something worthy of scorn, then I will be appropriately critical of him. So far for me he hasn't.
    When it comes to comics,one person's "fan-service" is another persons personal cannon. So by definition it's ALL fan service. Aren't we ALL fans?
    SUPERMAN is the greatest fictional character ever created.

Quote Originally Posted by Rakzo View Post
    Jesus, this issue might be even worse than the last one in terms of bad characterization. It was already off to see Jon wanting to leave his family last time but now it turns out that he's leaving because he thinks there's something wrong with him due that the Teen Titans didn't accept him... which is something that was already addressed by Tomasi in Super Sons with far less angst.

Oh and Lois is accompany him for no other reason but to create drama if you're honest with it.

The way how they defeat Rogol is logical but leads to Kara leaving to learn more about him which if the previous two examples tell you something is just to make Clark feel more miserable and lonely.

Good art though. Overall, this miniseries didn't start badly but it went that way pretty quickly and creates an ill-conceived set-up that I'm not sure I want to follow.
    Quoted for truth.

BANNED

One thing about Doomsday Clock is Clark is made out to be the one hero everyone can trust, yet the year leading up to that event will see people's trust in Clark be tested (the arson attacks)

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    One thing about Doomsday Clock is Clark is made out to be the one hero everyone can trust, yet the year leading up to that event will see people's trust in Clark be tested (the arson attacks)
    Doomsday Clock might as well be non-canon until it’s finished honestly.

Loved this. Excited for bendis on Superman and Action. Taking a break from Jon focus is going to be better for the book as well.

Oh and Lois is accompanying him for no other reason but to create drama if you're honest with it.

It's amazing how you hate this and yet praise Flash War to heavens. Nothing personal or that Flash War is bad, I just found it...ironic.

Always Rakzo

Quote Originally Posted by Waterfall View Post
    It's amazing how you hate this and yet praise Flash War to heavens. Nothing personal or that Flash War is bad, I just found it...ironic.
    Because Flash War doesn't give me atrociously bad characterization and terribly forced drama?

BANNED

Because Flash War doesn't give me atrociously bad characterization and terribly forced drama?
    Except it kind of does

Always Rakzo

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    Except it kind of does
    Ha!

Nope.

It definitely needed Wally & Hunter to act OOC to happen and the initial conflict was forced as hell but it's not this thread's topic.