Page 1 of 53 123451151 ... LastLast
    Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

Default MAN OF STEEL (2018) Event mini-series Discussion thread (SPOILERS)

So...here we go. MOS #1 by Bendis.

There WILL be spoilers as people will be discussing this and the other forthcoming issues of MOS, So be warned.

So since I've just read it I decided to say a few words to get the ball rolling. I have a limited amount of time as i'm writing this when I should be getting ready for work, so if anyone wants to post a synopsis, feel free.

What did I think of it?

It was...good. Not blow my mind good. Not ' ohmigod' greatest thing ever...but a good solid strong beginning.

The thing that stands out the most in this other than the art ( which is freaking fantastic) is the voices for all the characters. They are all distinct and I really like them all. We don't see Jon and Lois much this issue, but the page or two we have them, Bendis nails the voices. I think people will breathe a sigh of relief because they are in good hands.Yeah, they are playing up the " where are Lois and Jon?" mystery angle up a bit, but I think this issue more or less starts to confirm certain theories about their whereabouts.

All in all...this was a good start. Looking forward to next week.
    Last edited by manofsteel1979; 05-30-2018 at 01:39 AM.
    When it comes to comics,one person's "fan-service" is another persons personal cannon. So by definition it's ALL fan service. Aren't we ALL fans?
    SUPERMAN is the greatest fictional character ever created.

The Detective Man The Dying Detective's Avatar

Well if Bendis delivered then i can say it might be worth looking into as he isn't trying to repeat his past failures at Marvel.
    "Excellent!" I cried. "Elementary," said he

One baffling thing that really took me out of the story was Bendis mixing up which bug themed crook Superman collared at the start. He calls him Firefly, but earlier the book got it right and called him Killer Moth.

Other than that, a fun issue. Bendis made good use of Superman's powers and got his voice right. There's a warmth to him that I approve of. The art was fine too.

It's been a while since I enjoyed a Superman book and this was surprisingly a good start. Let's see what he is doing next.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

That was really freakin solid, man. I legitimately grinned a few times while reading. Superman's intro was really nice, and I found myself liking him pretty quickly. It kind of gets taken for granted and forgotten that each new team has to intro the main character(s) and get you to like them all over again (or for the first time), and I think Bendis nailed it pretty well here with everyone, Superman/Clark especially. Clark's voice was pretty effortlessly confident and casual, and the one bit of posturing was obviously to play to a literal crowd. Loved Superman getting lost in a song he couldn't remember as if he were listening to a radio. I was honestly worried the scene would fall short of the brilliant concept, but I'm happy to report that it was strong and dove taled very nicely into the next moment. It's lead up was even strong. It starting with Killer Moth (an apparent error on Bendis' part. Forgivable obviously) talking about the "key words" and screams Superman listens in for no matter where he is. In fact the "theme" of the issue was Superman's hearing now that I think about it.

Enjoyed Superman's thoughts on the fire not stopping at it being just a fire. He ponders about systemic issues, and that's a fascinating crumb to plant by Bendis. Shout out to Bendis' voice for Lois and Jon. Kind of a summation of both their characters in just two pages.

Oh, and.....HOLY SH!T THE ART WAS GOOD!!

I'm down for issue two and beyond.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Man, same. Hey good move mos1979. But Superlad I was grinning and for once I have to say that the guided read was uniquely great. The transition panels really helped to emphasize and explain the speed effect they were going for in full.

This was the Superman I missed for so long, even if he technically came back in 2015. Thank you for listening out and helping actual people. And subplots through subplots. So much more to say on this when I get out of work, but this was imo the start of the best collaboration between writer and artists I think we've seen in some time.

Oh and it's likely Superman collared both those guys, so Firefly could still be absolutely correct.

Fantastic Member Man_of_Tomorrow's Avatar

I liked it a lot. I think the various previews and teases may have given away too many twists, so the issue feels light. The building fire scene was my favorite. Superman saving people is a double-edged sword because it can easily turn boring, if you don't add something new.

I am so glad Reis will be the Superman artist going forward.

Astonishing Member

I'm not a fan of generic looking Rogol Zaar, even if his arc seems promising. I did like this issue overall. I particularly loved Superman doing his thing and seeing people respond to him in kind. I believe Killer Moth and Firefly are the two individuals at the beginning. I was going to trade wait but now I'm too eager to know what happens next. I may enjoy Bendis writing Superman after all.

All-New Member

It's better than I thought.Really enjoyed it!Is the last part a flashback?Can't wait to find out what happened to the family and why Lois left Daily Planet.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

It was fun! I had a smile on my face throughout and am ready to see what else Bendis has lined up. Solid first issue and a promising start.

The art, naturally, was phenomenal. I don't know what else there is to say. Man of Steel has a murderer's row of artists and the first salvo is stunningly rendered.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Bendis did a great job here, he really made a issue focusing on Superman and not Clark and still made him relatable. We are really in for a great run if this issue is any indication.

Thought I'd give this a chance (I haven't read a Superman book in ages), and I'm glad I did. Great first issue. I'll be sticking around.

GREAT issue. As others have said, all the characters are distinct, and the visuals sell each line VERY well.

This keeps up, I'll be a happy camper.

Oh, and the guy in the robe was Firefly. So Superman's right. Speaking of, I love that whole scene... Firefly telling Moth to be quiet, about the triggers.. and then, when Superman sweeps them up, he has so much presence that they don't immediately recognize that he's being sarcastic. That's just awesome, and exactly what I've been saying - Superman, when done right, has so much charisma and presence that it doesn't matter what he's wearing. THAT... is powerful.
    Hear my new CD "Love The World Away", available on iTunes, Google Music, Spotify, Shazam, and Amazon: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01N5XYV..._waESybX1C0RXK via @amazon
    www.jamiekelleymusic.com
    TV interview here: https://snjtoday.com/snj-today-hotline-jamie-kelley/

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

If Bendis can maintain this level of quality, I think we're looking at a particularly good run of Superman comics.

I am still not convinced about the villain, but this issue intrigued me far more than the Action #1000...

Astonishing Member

Absolutely beautiful.
    And maybe the Rogol Zaar part is more complex than it appears at first sight.

All in all, the first Superman story I've really enjoyed in years.
    Educational town, Rolemodel city and Moralofthestory land are the places where good comics go to die.

DC writers and editors looked up and shouted "Save us!"
    And Alan Moore looked down and whispered "No."

I'm kinda surprised Snyder didn't want Superman to watch Lois and Bruce conceive their love child. All the while singing the "Na na na na na na Batman!" theme song - Robotman, 03/06/2021