Page 37 of 53 FirstFirst ... 2733343536373839404147 ... LastLast
    The Detective Man The Dying Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    I can't really speak on if some people are blowing incomplete plot points out of proportion to facilitate and validate their continued dislike of Bendis. While I think it's not out of the question because some people seem to be finding pleasure and validation in some other people not having as good a time with this issue as they've had with the last 4, I also think taste matters too, and people should be ashamed of that one way or the other. Outside of being happy when other people stop enjoying a thing (can't quite wrap my head around that), I think all the options here and elsewhere are valid.

But like you say, we're looking at a super incomplete run here. Counting the next issue, we've technically only gotten 5 issues and are missing 25 more of Benids' run. If people aren't grabbed enough to keep going that's fine. I genuinely hope those people find things more to their taste or they come back and things are more to their taste. But I mainly just want to point out that this 6 issue mini is in no way, shape, or form the full story of anything. The next issue will not be the resolution of the Jon/Jor-El stuff, and we know this because of present Clark. The next issue will not be the resolution of the fires around town. The next issue will not be the resolution of Zaar. This book is best described, in my opinion, as the thesis statement to the start of a paper, and I think it's doing its job well.

Wouldn't categorize it as "rebellion" yet--he hasn't openly done the thing yet--but pretty strong disobedience and catching an attitude, yes. His internal reasoning, no matter airtight or full of holes it is, is what I'm interested in. That's what makes a character after all. Jon wouldn't have to be in the right to be a character or be in character as he's been established.
    Given how Bendis writes the story is incomplete and yes people are most likely losing their head and maybe taking out years of frustration and anger on him on this. It kind of makes discussing about this an unpleasant experience this could be as bad as how people are attacking Christopher Priest over his Deathstroke vs Batman story. And yeah we are missing the reason which I hope will given and that it will be satisfying. ANd yeah there's nothing to gain by acting like this. It seems pretty well-thought out for a rebellion.
    "Excellent!" I cried. "Elementary," said he

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Lvenger View Post
    I was looking for this tweet but you beat me to it. This is what adds fuel to the fire that Bendis is going to separate Clark and Lois which will be simultaneously pointless given that they're back together by Doomsday Clock and infuriating to many fans. Obviously next week will tell for certain but it's looking more and more likely right now.
    I concur. It's superficial drama and likely just an excuse to give Superman some motivation to stick around during Heroes In Crisis
    Last edited by Conn Seanery; 06-28-2018 at 02:42 PM.

I am getting man of steel through subscription, so I am only 3 issues in. However gotta say I am enjoin it. Looking forward to his Superman title as well.

BANNED

Can someone give me some reasons why he left superman alive?

Quote Originally Posted by stephens2177 View Post
    No one knows but is seems like Rogol Zaar left Superman alive just to lure him to the Earth's core.

BANNED

CBR just put this article up

https://www.cbr.com/superman-lois-best-dc-couple/

Hopefully this doesn't come back to bite them next week...or do they already know something we don't?

Next week is the Bat/Cat wedding so they're starting to put up opinion pieces referencing it for hits. I highly doubt its anything more coded than that.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post

Hopefully this doesn't come back to bite them next week...or do they already know something we don't?
    Slightly inaccurate while Clark has relied on Lois before he is far from pure brawn.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Next week is the Bat/Cat wedding so they're starting to put up opinion pieces referencing it for hits. I highly doubt its anything more coded than that.
    I'm sure it has'nt eluded anyone on the staff that Bruce is marrying Selina just as something separates Lois and Clark next week

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Dying Detective View Post
    Given how Bendis writes the story is incomplete and yes people are most likely losing their head and maybe taking out years of frustration and anger on him on this.
    And being understandably gunshy about the writer is cool, and I don't begrudge anyone for it. No one is obligated to enjoy this book or this writer. You don't owe them anything. But like the Priest situation, it's a story unfolding.

But something I feel like is lost on our section of the fandom more than the casuals who just walk into a store and see something to their fancy, is the idea of being too plugged in. We (myself included) create whole threads showcasing the uncolored, unlettered, uninked, and contextless pages from an issue from a book that hasn't even started, and we work ourselves up over it. An editor decides to share their personal taste on characters that they too are an opinionated fan on, and we get worked up over it even though said editor says that they understands their taste don't always have to line up with their actual job. I mean, did you know that Jor-El showing up at all was an actual surprise to some people? That's crazy, right? Given the fact that we're so plugged into this stuff that we knew this before issue one even came out and we speculated and got worked up over it.

That's why I've personally just been taking a step back and taking the issues as they come regardless of what I "know." Seeing Lois in an unlettered, uncolored, and contextless page from an issue in a book that hasn't even come out means very little. Discussion is fine and welcomed (I personally love it) but having the perspective to not take it even as a likely outcome needs to be applied, in my opinion.

It kind of makes discussing about this an unpleasant experience this could be as bad as how people are attacking Christopher Priest over his Deathstroke vs Batman story.
    What some people say about Priest's Deathstroke vs Batman and, far more importantly, Priest himself makes me physically ill sometimes, and makes me question why I spend time on sites like this where people that myopic frequent. We've all jumpped the gun over a fictional character we love in private or in a public settings like this, but some of this stuff is on some other sh!t.
    Last edited by Superlad93; 06-28-2018 at 12:52 PM.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Quote Originally Posted by stephens2177 View Post
    Wonder Woman seems to address at least one side of it in the issue: "it's warfare tactics. It's battle negotiations without ego." Ego would be Zaar killing Clark on the spot, but he seems to have some sort of specific code about how he does things. No telling what said code is at this point because Zaar is characterized as a creature of few words. But we know at least one thing: Zaar all but has confirmation that there is at least one more Kryptonian out their, Superman's child. He guessed this last issue, and Clark basically confirms it in the last page with his 'explosive' reaction. It would make sense to keep one alive to find the rest. That's, as Wonder Woman put it, "battle negotiations without ego" in my opinion.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

And being understandably gunshy about the writer is cool, and I don't begrudge anyone for it. No one is obligated to enjoy this book or this writer. You don't owe them anything. But like the Priest situation, it's a story unfolding.

But something I feel like is lost on our section of the fandom more than the casuals who just walk into a store and see something to their fancy, is the idea of being too plugged in. We (myself included) create whole threads showcasing the uncolored, unlettered, uninked, and contextless pages from an issue from a book that hasn't even started, and we work ourselves up over it. An editor decides to share their personal taste on characters that they too are an opinionated fan on, and we get worked up over it even though said editor says that they understands their taste don't always have to line up with their actual job. I mean, did you know that Jor-El showing up at all was an actual surprise to some people? That's crazy, right? Given the fact that we're so plugged into this stuff that we knew this before issue one even came out and we speculated and got worked up over it.

That's why I've personally just been taking a step back and taking the issues as they come regardless of what I "know." Seeing Lois in an unlettered, uncolored, and contextless page from an issue in a book that hasn't even come out means very little. Discussion is fine and welcomed (I personally love it) but having the perspective to not take it even as a likely outcome needs to be applied, in my opinion.

What some people say about Priest's Deathstroke vs Batman makes me physically ill sometimes, and makes me question why I spend time on sites like this where people that myopic frequent. We've all jumpped the gun over a fictional character we love in private or in a public setting like this, but some of this stuff is on some other sh!t.
    It's cool when people speculate but often times when that speculation spirals out of hand it really just goes to show that when it comes to the fandom of any medium people need to really unplug themselves from it and look at something else for a change. And maybe try to remember it's just fiction no matter how iconic the character is it's just fiction. It's a not your life. And this behaviour might actually scare off the casuals. It's like fandoms are these dark basements full of creepy weirdos with no life. And yes I also question why I even join places like these when things spiral out of hand.

Quote Originally Posted by The Dying Detective View Post
    It's cool when people speculate but often times when that speculation spirals out of hand it really just goes to show that when it comes to the fandom of any medium people need to really unplug themselves from it and look at something else for a change. And maybe try to remember it's just fiction no matter how iconic the character is it's just fiction. It's a not your life. And this behaviour might actually scare off the casuals. It's like fandoms are these dark basements full of creepy weirdos with no life. And yes I also question why I even join places like these when things spiral out of hand.
    I think at baseline we all just like being in an environment where there are people who both like and are willing to talk at length about the stuff we like. That's why I, and I'm sure the vast majority of people, have multiple groups of friends in real life. I'm big into sports, fighting games, comics/manga, and African culture. I've got friend groups for all that, and it feels good just like the idea of sites like this, twitter, and tumblr. We just gotta get rid of the tunnel vision sometimes because, like you say, it 100% does scare people off--even the people that're already interested in the same subject. And to those people I'm genuinely sorry if I've ever had a hand in putting you off. I'm deeply ashamed of even the possibility.

Anyways, back on topic lol Have you ever considered that, as tactless and dismissive as he is, Jor-El might have at least one point: "this boy is struggling by no fault of his own." Maybe Jon's been having some issues he's not sure how to articulate to his folks? Clark and Lois, the great parents they are, are on record saying that they'd rely in part on Clark growing up as a Kryptonian on Earth. In issue 2 of Superman Lois makes the totally understandable point that "we're stating in a better place. Your perspective is Jons. You went through everything he's about to go through." And even though that's been fairly correct up to this point, there's nothing that says it will continue to be.

And Jon might be feeling some type of way when he stats to realize things are happening to him that neither his dad nor his mom have a frame of reference for, so he might not express that to them. That might be why he's "struggling." That might be why he he's so resolute in saying that he's going? Just a thought.
    Last edited by Superlad93; 06-28-2018 at 01:35 PM.

All-New Member

What some people say about Priest's Deathstroke vs Batman and, far more importantly, Priest himself makes me physically ill sometimes, and makes me question why I spend time on sites like this where people that myopic frequent. We've all jumpped the gun over a fictional character we love in private or in a public settings like this, but some of this stuff is on some other sh!t.
    I must be out of the loop. I thought Priest’s Deathstroke was well liked?
    Last edited by PsychoSilverback; 06-28-2018 at 01:36 PM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post

Whether they’re in a relationship or not, Superman has always relied on the skills of Lois Lane, Star Reporter to do his bestas a superhero. Lois is the brains behind the brawn.

For a bunch a people that are constantly railing against Superman being a meathead they sure do believe in him being one.
    Rules are for lesser men, Charlie - Grand Pa Joe ~ Willy Wonka & Chocolate Factory