Page 14 of 53 FirstFirst ... 410111213141516171824 ... LastLast
    Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by RepHope View Post
    It’s a shock to see Bendis referencing Morrison, but not an unwelcome one.
    I think I missed that, where was the reference?

I think #2 was another great issue. It didn't have any distracting "Bendis-speak" in it, I would say that the characters in it are written well. It had a lot of set-up in it, but I don't mind that and I think the inclusion of the fight with the Toyman and the fire at the end was good because it stopped it from just being dialogue and caption boxes for 22 pages.
    “Somewhere, in our darkest night, we made up the story of a man who will never let us down.”

- Grant Morrison on Superman

Holy crap!

spoilers:
    Classic Toyman and Ambush Bug in one issue!
    end of spoilers

I'm sold!

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Myskin View Post
    I am kind of surprised that the cover is misleading - no Kents in this issue, so I don't think that there will be flashbacks in next issues, either.
    Aside from that, I enjoyed it and I loved Steve Rude's pages.
    That's a little disappointing. I've been wanting to know more about this Superman's backstory. And it doesn't look like we're going to get it with this series.
    Assassinate Putin!

The main story has been so good I rather forgot that the covers made us think there'd be some backstory trappings. Oh well.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Yeah, I'm delighted that this isn't an origin. It's just doing it's own thing.

The cover had me worried, but the issue itself was good. This feels like Superman to me. There's a sense of scale to him and the variety of the challenges that he faces.
    Last edited by Flash Gordon; 06-06-2018 at 08:58 PM.

Astonishing Member Dispenser Of Truth's Avatar

Assorted thoughts:

spoilers:
    I guess there WAS a retcon, since apparently Krypton blew up very shortly after Appa Ali Apsa's talk with Rogol Zaar (though of course, "suddenly" might mean a very different stretch of time to beings like these), suggesting Krypton had already started to branch out into space travel. That changes a lot - sort of have to explain why Jor-El building a rocket for Kal was difficult and indeed even a necessity, and what happened to all the Kryptonians off-planet. Though I suppose the guy with the ax is the simple explanation for the latter.
    end of spoilers

* This was a liiitle more Bendisey in some ways - some of the Guardians' dialogue was a touch too casual, Toyman seems like a regular Bendis mook, Trish Q's final speech is the sort of thing that would never make logical sense for her as a rational person to air in front of Perry and Clark but makes perfect sense as a character meant to drive drama - but it's restrained enough that if it stays at this level it shouldn't be a problem at all.

* Shanerrrrrr. The preview made me think Alex Sinclair's colors wouldn't be a good fit with him, but I got used to it fast. PLUS RUDE, who straight-up gives Clark a pinstripe suit and Perry a psychedelic Rude vest.

* I don't think the rubik's cube is meant to be a Multiversity shout out, though of course I wouldn't complain.

* Okay, the Jason Fabok interstitials are gonna grate if they stay at this pace.

* Superman apparently hangs out sometimes at a bar on the "far end of the Vega system"! Dope, that's the kind of cosmic I want to see! And another interesting insight into Rogol Zaar: "It is good to see you!" Dude isn't a hardass 24/7. Given what went down with Vega in Omega Men recently though, it sort of puts the lie to the idea that what happened to Krypton is an anomaly, which could either be a deliberate clue by Bendis, or just a continuity flub (albeit a forgivable one, given I believe Omega Men was literally DC's lowest-selling book).

* The bit about Superman getting to use being Superman is such an on-point character bit - moreso than 90% of those to handle him within the last decade - that it's what tipped me from the possibility of this being a solid opening that'll fizzle out into being convinced this will be a good Run, period, even if there might be rough patches.

* The slide! That's some Silver Age right there!
    Buh-bye

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

I'm frankly glad this isn't another origin story. Do we really need one? We've had like 5 in the last decade. At this point just pick one and go with it.
    When it comes to comics,one person's "fan-service" is another persons personal cannon. So by definition it's ALL fan service. Aren't we ALL fans?
    SUPERMAN is the greatest fictional character ever created.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by manofsteel1979 View Post
    I'm frankly glad this isn't another origin story. Do we really need one? We've had like 5 in the last decade. At this point just pick one and go with it.
    Agreed. Reference the past when necessary but it's best to move forward

While I don't like the current Super-status-quo and actively avoid the line due to it; this was still good.

It's very Bendis and a fresh take seems to be doing wonders for him.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    The main story has been so good I rather forgot that the covers made us think there'd be some backstory trappings. Oh well.
    Isn't one of the covers a tribute to the Death of Superman also? Yeah, I don't know what that's doing there either.Hell the first issue with all of the League assembled on the cover amounted to nothing because the Leauge weren't in it.

At least three of the covers are plot relevant, the one with Zarr and Krypton exploding, the one where Clark kisses Lois (since her and Jon's fate are a plot point) and the closing cover with Supes and Kara against Zarr.

Another nice issue. I wonder why Doc didn’t do the whole issue?

Surprisingly, each character has a distinct voice, no Bendis-speak!

I would love to know how Bendis is working with his editors. He has said, that the approach to making comics at DC is totally different as compared to Marvel.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Miller View Post
    I wonder why Doc didn’t do the whole issue?
    The art took a serious nosedive towards the end of the issue.

Other than that, I don't have any complaints

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

I think Rude is the missing link between two great masters, Toth and Kirby. His half was very nice imo but still not like what he can do with a better schedule and more space.

Once again, a really interesting issue. You can feel how passionnate Bendis is about this. Each character has a distinct voice. I really like his voice for Superman.