Page 26 of 53 FirstFirst ... 1622232425262728293036 ... LastLast
    The Detective Man The Dying Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Atlas View Post
    This is how people with legitimate concerns over stories or the behavior of creators get painted in a bad light. Never ONCE did I even suggest violence toward Bendis. I don't know him as a person and therefore have nothing personal against him. I'm also not insane or mentally disturbed and therefore have no desire to harm him or any other creator. I believe that a creator working on an iconic character with almost a century-long legacy should respect that character and its mythos and the fans who wish to see them preserved. I've been reading comics for thirty years and Bendis' work for half of that time. He has a long history of lying in interviews and toying with fans and also screwing around with continuity and crapping on characters for the sake of shock value or his own political ideology. I'll not tolerate either when it comes to Superman and I am indeed entitled to criticize the work of creators who mistreat a character that will outlive them and the fans who make it possible for said creators to have the PRIVILEGE of working on such iconic characters.
    I'm just saying you just need to relax and don't have to take everything so seriously it's just fiction. And if a creator or a work of fiction you don't like comes just walk away find something else to like. Yes you the customer would like the things you like to be respected but if you are not getting your money's worth go find something else.
    Last edited by The Dying Detective; 06-20-2018 at 11:46 AM.
    "Excellent!" I cried. "Elementary," said he

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    That's why I'm making the case that Lois does initially go with Jon and the events of Superman come after Man of Steel almost instantly, and Action Comics takes place at a later date where Lois comes back possibly without Jon (because he's aged up) and we go from there

But that's just me trying not to think of the likely situation that Lois leaves Clark after he lets Jon go with Oz...but then, given we learn in this issue Clark could communicate with Jon and Jor-El via the fortress crystals (until Zaar severed the link) there lies the question "why doesn't Lois stick with him so she can just use that to check on her son?"
    Quite possible a scenario as well, yep.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

I know people are enjoying this, but I can't help but have this underlying feeling that Bendis is going to turn things sideways (not the Spiderman knockoff) on Superman.

The family not seeming to recognize Jor-El, Clark looking like Batman almost everytime Lois is mentioned, Lois only being mentioned in flashbacks...

If I'm wrong, then so be it. But I just can't shake the feeling.

I'm actually anticipating that very thing. If anything there's the chance I'll be a little disappointed if things aren't turned on their head. But just a little, as even if not, if the quality keeps up like this I won't care that much. But I'm willing and ready for most anything at the same time.

Though Jor-El introducing himself again was probably just a flub.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 06-20-2018 at 12:06 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    I know people are enjoying this, but I can't help but have this underlying feeling that Bendis is going to turn things sideways (not the Spiderman knockoff) on Superman.

The family not seeming to recognize Jor-El, Clark looking like Batman almost everytime Lois is mentioned, Lois only being mentioned in flashbacks...

If I'm wrong, then so be it. But I just can't shake the feeling.
    I have the same fears, hence why I'm coming up with alternate theories trying to spin it more positively, but you have to take into consideration all angles where this is concerned, the interviews where Bendis says they will have non-traditional values and realize they can't be a normal family, the need for "drama" in the marriage, the preview images of Action 1003 with Lois, the September solicitation teasing her involvement with Lex etc

Likely, this is not going to end well for the Super-Family either way...either Lois goes with Jon and comes back later without him, or she leaves Clark after he lets Jon go with Jor-El. It's one or the other, and it'll be a miracle if there's a third option we're not aware of.

Loved the art in this issue. Maguire does a terrific job of portraying Supes’ powers in play. His faces are also great at showing emotion. So kudos to him and Fabok, whose art is great as always.

On the writing side I think Bendis did a great job with Hal, and it was a joy to see Maggie again. I’m warming up to Rogal, I like the way he’s being written. I like Bendis’ Supergirl, she’s hotheaded like the New 52 version who I really enjoyed. Bendis’ continues to do a great job with Supes’ inner monologue.

However the teasing of what happened to Jon and Lois continues to be bad. The dialogue for that specific part was awful, Bendisspeak at its worse. And the constant “Dad what is that?” Is grating. I liked Lois snark but otherwise it was a bad scene. I really hope that was just a one time flub, because otherwise Bendis’ dialogue hasn’t been that bad at all.

I kinda like the continuing reflection of Superman on those particular words by Jon and Lois. Because it always relates what's going on in the present. Something happens in the present which brings to mind that moment and those words. Its never just out of the blue, its because of something happening in the here and now that's consistently bringing back the memory. Its supposed to be grating because its a grating, bad memory that he can't shake. And in this instance, it cost him as he let his mind wander and that's how Zaar took the initiative we saw in #1000. So I'm cool with it.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by The Dying Detective View Post
    I'm just saying you just need to relax and don't have to take everything so seriously it's just fiction. And if a creator or a work of fiction you don't like comes just walk away find something else to like. Yes you the customer would like the things you like to be respected but if you are not getting your money's worth go find something else.
    It's easy to walk away, sure, but the attachment to the characters and lore you leave behind never truly goes away, eventually you'll want the opportunity to come back and start reading again...when you do, it'd be nice if what you left behind is either still there or is coming back in some fashion.

I came back to the Batman comics because of the Bat-Wedding and Tim and Stephanie getting back together, and it's likely I'm going to leave the Bat-Books if the Bat-Wedding does'nt happen, not just because I'm sick of Bruce and Selina going through a will-they/won't-they routine, but because I got closure on it with that annual last year. I can just carry on thinking Bruce and Selina did get married (if not now, then someday in the future), grew old together, and lived happily ever after. I don't need any more stories telling me something different. I will only follow both Bruce and Selina's books if they're married.

Likewise with Bendis, I'm only on board because I partially like his work, and because Doomsday Clock assures me Lois, Clark and Jon make it out of the other end of this just fine. If I didn't have that safety net, I would byrne steal the books.

That's precisely what happened with Rebirth also. Fans who hadn't collected in years, either due to a decade of the marriage never leaving first gear or the New 52/DC You transition, came back because what they desired was being respected again, and being evolved. It'd suck if that new found investment and trust in the company were to be broken after only three years.
    Last edited by Miles To Go; 06-20-2018 at 01:12 PM.

The Detective Man The Dying Detective's Avatar

It's easy to walk away, sure, but the attachment to the characters and lore you leave behind never truly goes away, eventually you'll want the opportunity to come back and start reading again...when you do, it'd be nice if what you left behind is either still there or is coming back in some fashion.

I came back to the Batman comics because of the Bat-Wedding and Tim and Stephanie getting back together, and it's likely I'm going to leave the Bat-Books if the Bat-Wedding does'nt happen, not just because I'm sick of Bruce and Selina going through a will-they/won't-they routine, but because I got closure on it with that annual last year. I can just carry on thinking Bruce and Selina did get married (if not now, then someday in the future), grew old together, and lived happily ever after. I don't need any more stories telling me something different. I will only follow both Bruce and Selina's books if they're married.

Likewise with Bendis, I'm only on board because I partially like his work, and because Doomsday Clock assures me Lois, Clark and Jon make it out of the other end of this just fine. If I didn't have that safety net, I would byrne steal the books.

That's precisely what happened with Rebirth also. Fans who hadn't collected in years, either due to a decade of the marriage never leaving first gear or the New 52/DC You transition, came back because what they desired was being respected again, and being evolved. It'd suck if that new found investment and trust in the company were to be broken after only three years.
    I can see that with a lot of fans though some never come back. I'm confident Batman and Catwoman will marry I don't think DC will undermine Tom King not when this event has been one of their biggest sellers and got them the attention they wanted. I too am on board with Bendis but mainly to see how good a run I'm getting before I pass judgement part of me is fearful I admit but I know where I stand on this issue and I do not wish to spend my days fretting about this sort of thing. With Jon being DC's latest moneymaker I don't think he's going anywhere he's even a playable character on DC's Legends mobile game. not many new characters get that privilege.
    "Excellent!" I cried. "Elementary," said he

Fantastic Member

That's going to depend on how much the people in charge accept that stories and characterizations were just as much of a problem as continuity changes. I don't think they do, and now, love him or hate him, Geoff Johns can't run interference on the Didio/Lee/Harras/WIZARD group anymore.

I've said in another thread I see the Bendis work so far as "Super Spider-Man." I'm giving it a fair shot, but I'm uneasy. I'm going to have a big problem if the preferences of folks like Didio or Brian Cunningham start making themselves apparent in the stories as well.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Truman Burbank View Post
    I've said in another thread I see the Bendis work so far as "Super Spider-Man."
    If it is, then that's fine. Bendis wrote a cracking Peter and MJ in Ultimate Spider-Man, the paring were very sweet together, and when they had their share of drama, they always reconciled and were always stronger for it.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Also worth mentioning that there's a strong chance Zaar now knows about Superman having a kid. Clark kept his words pretty vague even while he was literally exploding, but putting two and two together may not be that hard after.

Speaking of kids: Zod and Ursa totally have one. If fact they're all Kryptonian. Seems likely that's how Bendis is going to be getting Zod in there. I wonder if they send Lor-Zod to the same place Jon is?
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Perhaps Eradicator will be getting back into the fold as well. He is currently with Zod and co. Superman, Supergirl, Zod, Ursa, Eradicator. That'd be a badass team.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

While I doubt Kara will be joining them given she'll be off finding the galactic systemic failings that allowed Zaar to do what he did and continues to do, I wouldn't be surprised if Eradicator joined in. I'd be interested in seeing Clark and Zod find some common ground before returning to their differences. I'd also like to see Lois get in on that Doctor Who companion style, but I'm also waiting to see what her story in Action will be because that might end up being way more interesting for her.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    Another exciting issue with wonderful art. I genuinely wasn't expecting the solar flare, and like others I was a bit bothered that they didn't acknowledge that Jor-El has met the family before all this. That and Hal being the primary Earth GL shows Bendis playing continuity a bit loose, but it wasn't too bad.
    Bendis has a rep for that, and Didio will indulge it. That he's already ignoring major story elements from just six months ago doesn't ease my fears about where things might be going.