Page 29 of 53 FirstFirst ... 1925262728293031323339 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby Krackle View Post
    Can we please not paint all people pointing out small errors in continuity or poising questions as being alarmists looking to justify of Boogieman Bendis? I'm loving this series and seeing this kind of disregard for anyone who doesn't fall in line 100% just sucks. We're supposed to be better than that as Superman fans. I had two very small issues and now I'm part of a blanket statement along with others saying we just want to hate this. I'm not even one of those Anti-Bendis people. I dunno guys, it just feels shitty to come to a Superman discussion and have your words disregarded because "YOU JUST HATE BENDIS!"
    Yeah - some of the dialogue made it seem that this was almost a "first meeting," while other bits didn't. It was just very odd, especially how Jor-El was left by Jurgens (being taken away in that vortex thing and Clark saying he'd find out what happened to him, iirc). And I've been very much enjoying the books, so far.

I didn't think about Henshaw, but that's a good point - if the Fortress is destroyed, what happens with him? Or will he even be addressed, might be a better question.
    Hear my new CD "Love The World Away", available on iTunes, Google Music, Spotify, Shazam, and Amazon: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01N5XYV..._waESybX1C0RXK via @amazon
    www.jamiekelleymusic.com
    TV interview here: https://snjtoday.com/snj-today-hotline-jamie-kelley/

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    I want the bigass key back. In any case I would imagine how closely it resembles the old look would depend on how much Cunningham/Bendis/Reis is beholden to Donner concepts. Lee may be a factor as well being new CCO but I'm hoping his way of doing things will be to let the Super-office manage things mostly on their own, at least in regards to things that only affect the Superman family. They seem to have a good handle so far.
    The giant key was a fun Silver Age staple but it wouldn’t work now as there are so many other characters who have “Superman-level” strength. Cyborg Superman, Rogol Zaar, or Zod could come and go as they please.

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    The giant key was a fun Silver Age staple but it wouldn’t work now as there are so many other characters who have “Superman-level” strength. Cyborg Superman, Rogol Zaar, or Zod could come and go as they please.
    I kinda like the idea that the big key is a sort of marker for the "public face" of the Fortress (for people in trouble, maybe tours?), but the actual Fortress is a tesseract somewhere below that, only accessible by Superman and select others.
    Hear my new CD "Love The World Away", available on iTunes, Google Music, Spotify, Shazam, and Amazon: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01N5XYV..._waESybX1C0RXK via @amazon
    www.jamiekelleymusic.com
    TV interview here: https://snjtoday.com/snj-today-hotline-jamie-kelley/

So I am primarily a Marvel guy and more specifically the Maverl street-level heroes like Daredevil, Iron Fist and Jessica Jones. However, I picked up the Man of Steel mini because while he was much criticized towards the end (and admitting somewhat deserving), people seem to quickly forgot how good Bendis' runs on Daredevil and the Alias series were. When he puts his mind to it he can write a good comic. So I came here to say that I have really enjoyed this mini-series and he has sparked my interest in a character that I would have otherwise not have given a second thought to reading. So while a lot people may be trying to criticize Bendis, here is just one example of him bringing a new reader to the book.

So the Fortress is destroyed and all of Superman’s stuff is gone. But there were also living things in the Fortress. The cosmic zoo. So not only did Kandor get destroyed but all the animals got killed as well? Hopefully there was a contingency plan in place.

Quote Originally Posted by macjr33 View Post
    So I am primarily a Marvel guy and more specifically the Maverl street-level heroes like Daredevil, Iron Fist and Jessica Jones. However, I picked up the Man of Steel mini because while he was much criticized towards the end (and admitting somewhat deserving), people seem to quickly forgot how good Bendis' runs on Daredevil and the Alias series were. When he puts his mind to it he can write a good comic. So I came here to say that I have really enjoyed this mini-series and he has sparked my interest in a character that I would have otherwise not have given a second thought to reading. So while a lot people may be trying to criticize Bendis, here is just one example of him bringing a new reader to the book.
    Awesome to hear. Welcome aboard!

Quote Originally Posted by macjr33 View Post
    Hope you enjoy the miniseries and decide to stick around! Despite how the general public and non-fans think of the character, Superman is one of the most nuanced, complex characters in comics, and I think if you give him a chance and you look deeper than the simple, surface level stuff, you'll find him quite fascinating and unique.

If you do decide you like what you see in Superman, we have a "recommendations" thread sticky'd to the top of the forums. You'll find a lot of great suggestions there, from the classic books even casual fans have heard of to the obscure issues only the diehards remember.

And I gotta say, somewhere along the way I became one of those grumpy, cynical old bastard fans. But when Bendis was announced I held out hope that we'd get "Daredevil" Bendis and not "Guardians of the Galaxy" Bendis. When he started talking about the book in interviews, I thought he was saying all the right things. I was actually a little hopeful about his run. And I am very happy to say that my faith was not misplaced; MoS has been a really fun ride so far and I'm very glad I gave Bendis the benefit of the doubt.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Love Superman teaming up with Supergirl. This partnership should be as deep as Batman and Robin, poor close to it.

"Politest Man In The Galaxy" ... And the award for most backhanded compliment goes to Batman, unsurprisingly.

As for Kandor ... look, I'm conflicted. I will always favor less living Kryptonians over more living Kryptonians. My ideal number is 4: Kal, a Kara who starts as Supergirl and then graduates to Power Gal, Krypto (shut up, he rules), and 1 single definitely evil Kryptonian (my preference is female, so, either Faora Hu-Ul/Ursa/Car-Vex over Dru-Zod) stuck in the PZ.

I do not want thousands or millions of Kryptonians still living in present - day DCU.

But to give Rogol Zaar that kind of importance by having him destroy the bottle city feels ... cheap. He hadn't earned the right. Now, Brainiac, Darkseid, or Mongul, different story: each of them is worthy (Vril Dox 1 most of all) to end Kandor, but this guy isn't. Not yet, and not for a decade at least.

Love the Solid All - Blue Eyes on Kal when he uses X-Ray, makes him look more alien, which I love to see.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    Dedicating the first couple years of the Rebirth era to bland family fluff and continuity headaches is more of a mistreatment than what we've seen thus far of Bendis's direction
    It wasn't "bland". Most fans loved it, obviously except for you and a couple of killjoys in the minority.

Many fans think this is the most Superman-like he's been in a while
    I see no difference between Rebirth Supes and Bendis Supes so far.
    Last edited by Miles To Go; 06-23-2018 at 01:42 PM.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    It wasn't "bland". Most fans loved it, obviously except for you and a couple of killjoys in the minority.
    It was pretty dull. IMO, of course, which I would think was implied.

I don't care if I'm in the minority or not. I'm not going to apologize for not finding the Rebirth era so far as exciting/interesting as one of the biggest, most influential characters in comics deserves.

I see no difference between Rebirth Supes and Bendis Supes so far.
    His writing of Superman's sense of humor in the first issue when teasing the villains seemed more like Superman to me than my (admittedly limited) exposure to Superman from the early parts of Rebirth, as does his mannerisms for Clark Kent. His story in the DC Nation #0 where Clark criticizes Superman for being "a little too rough" with Lex's men is pure Silver Age. And Silver/Bronze Age Superman > all other versions of Superman, so he knows the way to my heart already.

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by manofsteel1979 View Post
    As much as i like the crystal Donner fortress, I'm hoping the next incarnation hews closer to the Silver and Bronze Age Fortress and less on the all crystals all the time version. By all means incorporate that in parts of the design but lay off the idea its a crystal igloo.
    Wasn't the crystal fortress and other Donner's elements a way to synergize with Superman Returns in 2006?

After 12 years, I think it's really time to move on from that nostalgic movie.
    Last edited by Last Son of Krypton; 06-23-2018 at 03:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    I wouldn't mind the miniature key from All-Star being used. I believe it even showed up for one Superman's cameos in King's Batman.

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son of Krypton View Post
    Wasn't the crystal fortress and other Donner's elements a way to synergize with Superman Returns in 2006?

After 12 years, I think it's really time to move on from that nostalgic movie.
    Yep, it came back in Up, Up, and Away by Johns. I like the crystal Fortress, but as long as Supes HAS a Fortress I’m ok with them changing up the look.

I finally got around to getting issues 3 and 4 today. Aside from the obnoxious flashbacks with the Kent family and Jor-El (how many damn times do we need to hear Jon say "Dad, what is that?"?), I found these to be very good. The guest appearances from Supergirl, Hal and Batman were all on point. I love seeing Clark and Kara functioning as a unit again since God knows how long. I also loved Perry's "That 'kid' is Jimmy Olsen" moment, showing that no matter how much crap he throws Jimmy's way he has the utmost confidence in him. Jimmy being able to keep up with the battle is also subtly badass.

Are all the names Superman listed off from the Bottle of Kandor from prior continuity? I recognized a few, mainly Van-Zee, Sylvia and Ak-Var. Best of all, batshit crazy Lesla-Lar is back in continuity! Hopefully that jealous loon survived the destruction, because I want to see her go up against Kara at some point.

BANNED

You admit in this very post you have had limited exposure to the Rebirth eras so, IMO, you're not really qualified to judge whether or not if the family life aspects were bland or if Bendis' Superman is remarkably different than Rebirth Superman. Having read all of Rebirth, I fail to see any difference. Bendis has struck a fine balance if anything.
    Last edited by Kuwagaton; 06-24-2018 at 11:58 AM. Reason: let people be, please

You admit in this very post you have had limited exposure to the Rebirth eras so, IMO, you're not really qualified to judge whether or not if the family life aspects were bland or if Bendis' Superman is remarkably different than Rebirth Superman. Having read all of Rebirth, I fail to see any difference. Bendis has struck a fine balance if anything.
    I bought the first two trades of Superman rebirth and didn't decide to pursue it any further, and kind of feel like money was wasted. I bought the first couple issues of Jurgen's Action run too. If it didn't grab me after two whole trades, where is my incentive to throw more money at it? The solicits from the era didn't do anything for me. The convoluted continuity hijinks to get Superman married again and to get a 10 year old son in the mix really turned me off. And opinions from other posters whom I trust when it comes to Superman (as our tastes tend to line up as far as he goes) tell me I didn't miss out on much. The era didn't do anything to get me excited/interested, Bendis however (at least in interviews and solicits thus far) has. That's all that matters for me, personally.

If I'm in the minority opinion, what does it even matter if I didn't care for it? The fans who dislike it have no power to make it go away, nor are we asking for Bendis to wipe it all out (which he's shown no indication of doing despite some of the "the sky is falling!" reactions we've seen on the web). We just want him to do something different that will hopefully satisfy as many fans as possible.
    Last edited by SiegePerilous02; 06-24-2018 at 12:09 PM.