Page 3 of 53 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

The exploration of the super-hearing was surprisingly insightful.

Quote Originally Posted by Jody Garland View Post
    The scenes with Rogal Zaar in this issue seems to be some kind of flashback to the far past, though so we don't know the full reasoning for his motivation.

Did anyone recognize any of the council he talks to aside from the Mad Guardian?
    Rogol Zaar's reason for wishing Krypton destroyed was that they were draining resources from other systems (which would mean that somehow they were acquiring them through unfair trades where the payment didn't compensate fully for the loss).

If Krypton still became isolationist before the explosion, then they were not draining resources any longer.

If they were not draining resources any longer, then his stated reason for wanting them gone would no longer exist, unless he switched somewhere along the way to being motivated by revenge and/or a desire to exact reparations of some sort.... and the latter would no longer be possible once the place exploded.

Quote Originally Posted by Jody Garland View Post
    One baffling thing that really took me out of the story was Bendis mixing up which bug themed crook Superman collared at the start. He calls him Firefly, but earlier the book got it right and called him Killer Moth.

Other than that, a fun issue. Bendis made good use of Superman's powers and got his voice right. There's a warmth to him that I approve of. The art was fine too.
    Both Firefly and Killer Moth were there. They were having some kinda argument and Moth took his flamer.

Good issue. I wonder what Moore's involvement will be here. Also wondering about Lois and Jon.

I thought that was really good, loved the inhaling fire scene
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

Quote Originally Posted by Clark_Kent View Post
    Also: too early to tell, but perhaps the new firefighter Chief is setting fires to get Superman's attention...or maybe I'm just looking for a 'twist' & she really was just kind of smitten with him. I haven't read many Bendis interviews though, so it's possible she's just a new cast member with no ill-intent whatsoever. But that was an initial observation I had.
    You're not alone, I thought the same
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

Astonishing Member Dispenser Of Truth's Avatar

I'm sure some will complain about it being slight for the start of the new world order and whatnot, but this is that goooood Superman ****. Bendis's voice for Clark reminds me VERY much of Pak's, and that's a pretty excellent starting point to build off of.
    Buh-bye

God, I wish I wasn’t a trade waiter. I’m really happy people like it. Having another split between the fanbase wouldn’t be fun for anyone.

BANNED

It was a good read

Wow. I liked that first issue a LOT. I laughed at the fire chief realizing Supes could hear her checking him out. I loved his interactions with the little girl he saved from the fire. I laughed at his interaction with Firefly, and at his conversation with Jon towards the end. I'm even starting to like Rogal-Zaar. Great first issue, I hope he can keep it up.

Astonishing Member

Rogal Zaar's design is slightly different from the one which appeared in AC 1000.

His face is half-burned now, sure. But in AC 1000 he also had sharped teeth and a snake-like mug.
    The design in MOS 1 is the one which originally appeared on Ivan Reis' sketch covers and was later changed for the final version. Maybe they changed it back again.

http://insidepulse.com/wp-content/up...9406271628.jpg
    http://insidepulse.com/wp-content/up...9403465584.jpg
    Educational town, Rolemodel city and Moralofthestory land are the places where good comics go to die.

DC writers and editors looked up and shouted "Save us!"
    And Alan Moore looked down and whispered "No."

I'm kinda surprised Snyder didn't want Superman to watch Lois and Bruce conceive their love child. All the while singing the "Na na na na na na Batman!" theme song - Robotman, 03/06/2021

With a rather negative experience with Bendis recent work this was a rather pleasant surprise. A good solid start with some brilliant art. If it remains at this level of quality I doubt I will have much to complain about.

Quote Originally Posted by vitruvian View Post
    Rogol Zaar's reason for wishing Krypton destroyed was that they were draining resources from other systems (which would mean that somehow they were acquiring them through unfair trades where the payment didn't compensate fully for the loss).

If Krypton still became isolationist before the explosion, then they were not draining resources any longer.

If they were not draining resources any longer, then his stated reason for wanting them gone would no longer exist, unless he switched somewhere along the way to being motivated by revenge and/or a desire to exact reparations of some sort.... and the latter would no longer be possible once the place exploded.
    When Appa Ali Speak delivers The Circle's answer he mentions that they considered Rogol's judgement clouded by his personal history. This could indicate him associating the Kryptonians with a people in his past that did act as he accuses the Kryptonians of doing, or some other negative experience with the Kryptonians.
    Last edited by Danvidar; 05-30-2018 at 12:38 PM. Reason: Additional text.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Myskin View Post
    This puts Superman in an interesting position from an ethical point of view, because: A- Rogol Zaar could be partly right in his claims and B- Superman could see some analogies between Krypton and the country which adopted him. And this could be an interesting moral challenge about Superman's place in the world.
    I was getting these same sort of vibes while I was reading too. The clincher was the fact that Krypton's status as a galactic power was a fairly new thing at the time. And if this is true, it has its roots in past Superman interpretations. One of the bigger ideas for Krypton that has basically permeated every take was that it was a cautionary tale for us.

This also potentially finally answers the question of why Superman #1 says "the fallout from the Man of Steel miniseries has Clark Kent looking at the world through new eyes...with new ideas about what Superman could and should do for the city of Metropolis and the planet Earth."
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

BTW some Bendis comments today.

http://comicbook.com/dc/2018/05/30/b...fications-fro/

"That is a very important image for the DC Universe going forward," Bendis told ComicBook.com. "It's called The Circle, and what they've done over the years, and what Rogol's history with them is and how it connects to the uber history of the DC Universe, will play out going forward in Superman #1. It's this massive Superman epic that takes us our whole first year."

"Literally, by the end of the first year of Superman, the entire galactic mass of the DC universe is going to be shifted from what happened, and Superman is going to be right in the center of it," Bendis teased. "It's a very big story, and it touches the Green Lantern story, it touches Hawkworld, it touches every single corner of the DC universe, including parts we'll just be introducing."

So it looks like this is what Bendis was talking about when he said this https://twitter.com/BRIANMBENDIS/sta...59182608695296

"Big weekend! wrestled the first HUGE script for a big NEW @DCComics project. it took months. new characters, old characters. new worlds being built. old worlds being revisited for the first time in forever."

Sounds like Superman is getting a DC wide within this first year.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Also, I and the others who said Bendis mixed up the name of Killer Moth and Firefly were wrong because this is what Moth looks like modern day

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

A really promising start. I didn't enjoy so much reading a Superman comic since... I dunno... Pak's run probably.