Page 30 of 53 FirstFirst ... 2026272829303132333440 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Hope you enjoy the miniseries and decide to stick around! Despite how the general public and non-fans think of the character, Superman is one of the most nuanced, complex characters in comics, and I think if you give him a chance and you look deeper than the simple, surface level stuff, you'll find him quite fascinating and unique.

If you do decide you like what you see in Superman, we have a "recommendations" thread sticky'd to the top of the forums. You'll find a lot of great suggestions there, from the classic books even casual fans have heard of to the obscure issues only the diehards remember.

And I gotta say, somewhere along the way I became one of those grumpy, cynical old bastard fans. But when Bendis was announced I held out hope that we'd get "Daredevil" Bendis and not "Guardians of the Galaxy" Bendis. When he started talking about the book in interviews, I thought he was saying all the right things. I was actually a little hopeful about his run. And I am very happy to say that my faith was not misplaced; MoS has been a really fun ride so far and I'm very glad I gave Bendis the benefit of the doubt.
    Thanks for the insight, my pull list as gotten a bit smaller recently so if I continue to enjoy the series I may look into some of the some those recommendations. Don't know if he could be more nuanced and complex than ol' Hornhead though!

In addition to Bendis' writing I also think the art has been quite good as well.

BANNED

SiegePerilous02, all's good, I'll quietly drop this argument and let us resume discussing the issue.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    SiegePerilous02, all's good, I'll quietly drop this argument and let us resume discussing the issue.
    Thanks, no worries. I will do the same.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    Thanks, no worries. I will do the same.
    Glad to read that you're enjoying it all so far, and good to see your preferences for the character are being tended to.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by macjr33 View Post
    Thanks for the insight, my pull list as gotten a bit smaller recently so if I continue to enjoy the series I may look into some of the some those recommendations. Don't know if he could be more nuanced and complex than ol' Hornhead though!

In addition to Bendis' writing I also think the art has been quite good as well.
    I have to admit to also getting off the Bendis train pretty big time in a way that surprises me, looking back. Daredevil was just my very favorite and I forgot how good his long run can be. I can see this run being very similar.

And of the artists, personally I think even with all the other greats Hughes is going to just shut it down. I can't wait. But if I had to get someone back, it'd be Shaner. He just so clearly enjoys the character, and even posted on his Twitter recently how he's been reading up on old trades.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    Glad to read that you're enjoying it all so far, and good to see your preferences for the character are being tended to.
    Thanks. And I'm glad you and others fans of the Rebirth era are finding things to enjoy so far too. DC rarely can find a way to please as wide a section of the fanbase as possible. Hopefully Bendis can continue to manage it. I think it will ultimately come down to what he does with Lois and Jon

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    Thanks. And I'm glad you and others fans of the Rebirth era are finding things to enjoy so far too. DC rarely can find a way to please as wide a section of the fanbase as possible. Hopefully Bendis can continue to manage it. I think it will ultimately come down to what he does with Lois and Jon
    I'm well prepared for the drama with Lois and Jon, I'm a bit worried (and I fear my aspergers is going to increase my anxieties), but as long as Bendis remains true to what he says that things will be fine after a year, I'll hopefully be able to tolerate it.
    Last edited by Miles To Go; 06-24-2018 at 02:09 PM.

I enjoyed the issue, especially the Kal & Kara parts.
    The Perry & Jimmy scene was also great (we really haven't seen much of Jimmy in the last several years...not since Superman was outed as Clark in nu52, before that was put back in the bottle).

The Jor-El scene was odd. His introduction of himself reeked of exposition (kind of reminded me of Manga Kahn back in the JLI days). While he introduced himself as if you wouldn't know him, Clark and Jon reacted as if they HAD seen him before, so maybe it was just some heavy-handed exposition. Can't remember if Lois had run into Jor yet or not...so maybe that was all for her benefit? Anywho, I suspect Bendis wants to focus on Clark for a bit before reintroducing Lois & Jon...so this is the plot device that will clear the decks temporarily. I'm one of those people who DID love Rebirth and the Super-family, and don't want it done away with. So if this is the alternative to a super-divorce and killing Jon I'll take it. Also, Jor-El is odd man out until Doomsday Clock gets resolved (a year too late). Long story short, I don't love this storyline but don't hate it either.

Bendis tends to play the long game storywise, so I have no expectation Rogol Zar will be put in super-prison by the end of the mini. But that's okay too as long as the ride is enjoyable.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by astro@work View Post
    I enjoyed the issue, especially the Kal & Kara parts.
    The Perry & Jimmy scene was also great (we really haven't seen much of Jimmy in the last several years...not since Superman was outed as Clark in nu52, before that was put back in the bottle).

The Jor-El scene was odd. His introduction of himself reeked of exposition (kind of reminded me of Manga Kahn back in the JLI days). While he introduced himself as if you wouldn't know him, Clark and Jon reacted as if they HAD seen him before, so maybe it was just some heavy-handed exposition. Can't remember if Lois had run into Jor yet or not...so maybe that was all for her benefit? Anywho, I suspect Bendis wants to focus on Clark for a bit before reintroducing Lois & Jon
    Lois isn't going anywhere, she's confirmed to be appearing in Action Comics.

However I'm starting to wonder what the exact timeline is for Action Comics, as I still think, like you, that Lois will leave with Jon in this mini-series and the storyline will carry on through Superman, with AC taking place sometime in the future where Lois has returned without Jon. I could be way off though.

And yes, the entire Super-Family have met Jor-El in The Oz Effect storyline

Quote Originally Posted by macjr33 View Post
    I'm far more familiar with Clark than I am Matt, despite having read my fair share of Daredevil (including Bendis' run, which is what made me a fan of the character) and Matt is definitely one of the best, most intriguing characters around.

I won't say who's more complex and nuanced, because my experience with Clark is far greater than it is with Matt. But I think they're both complex in different ways. Most of Clark's layers are quiet and hidden; they're there but you have to look for them, they're not thrown in front of your face. With Matt, from what I've read, the writers put more effort into showcasing these traits and flaws and chinks in his character.

Bendis gets the best artists. Seems to me like he always has. I'd love to know how he manages it. Dude has a stable of the industry's best who seem very fond and loyal to him, and never turn down a chance to work with him.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

I'm far more familiar with Clark than I am Matt, despite having read my fair share of Daredevil (including Bendis' run, which is what made me a fan of the character) and Matt is definitely one of the best, most intriguing characters around.

I won't say who's more complex and nuanced, because my experience with Clark is far greater than it is with Matt. But I think they're both complex in different ways. Most of Clark's layers are quiet and hidden; they're there but you have to look for them, they're not thrown in front of your face. With Matt, from what I've read, the writers put more effort into showcasing these traits and flaws and chinks in his character.
    That's the great thing about comics is that there really is something for everybody. I think it's awesome that you have a character that you feel that passionate about (as I do with Matt). To your point there isn't just one way for a character to complex or nuanced which can appeal to different types of readers. Which also means when people debate this character is better than that character (while fun) is usually moot because we all have our own unique preferences.

I do tend to like comics that explore characters flaws and how they work to overcome it (i.e. Matt's depression/self-destructive behavior; Danny Rand's self-doubt/feeling like an outsider; Jessica's PTSD). What would you say would be Clark's flaws and what issues/runs would you recommend that show him dealing with it? Preferably something that could be collected be in trade?

Bendis gets the best artists. Seems to me like he always has. I'd love to know how he manages it. Dude has a stable of the industry's best who seem very fond and loyal to him, and never turn down a chance to work with him.
    He really does though, to his credit, he also knows which artist to pair with the story he is trying to tell. I am very much a reader that believes the art and the story have to go hand in hand for it to be a truly great book (Bendis' DD run is my favorite run in all of comics and this is in great part to Maleev's art). I really can't think of a Bendis title that had a sub-par artist on it.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Default The Man of Steel issue #5 Preview and Interview

"Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

"Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Art looks great! Excited to see what happens.

Worth mentioning that if Superman did use the solar flare (and given the image (Superman's body is the source of light in that shot given how Zaar is lit in relation to him) I have no reason not to think so) it means he doesn't go down in power after anymore due to it. This was hinted at back when the power was introduced. Clark was gaining control of the 'trigger' and also retaining more of his powers after. It seems that he's gotten to the point where the power drop is either negligible or simply not a factor anymore.

Basically makes the power a big god-like-indignation "don't f#%k with me, bro" power that might wind him similar to real big ol' heat vision does sometimes. I've very okay with this.