Page 44 of 53 FirstFirst ... 34404142434445464748 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by The Dying Detective View Post
    The communicator in theory should be destroyed beyond repair it can happen.
    It can, but it's hard to believe there's been no attempt to fix it, to recreate it, or to find an alternative.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by misslane View Post
    until then, the notion is quite silly to me.
    So apparently is any kind of stakes or opportunities for drama.

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    So apparently is any kind of stakes or opportunities for drama.
    Nope, I just take issue with bad stakes and bad drama; there is a difference. More importantly, my issue with the galaxy travel book had nothing to do with stakes or drama.

The Detective Man The Dying Detective's Avatar

It can, but it's hard to believe there's been no attempt to fix it, to recreate it, or to find an alternative.
    Maybe we'll see some attempts by Superman to try and find a new way to talk to Jon and Lois and also I'm beginning to really doubt that older Jon will be him aged up if this story will continue for a year I doubt Bendis will simply drop back into Earth so soon.
    "Excellent!" I cried. "Elementary," said he

BANNED

Nope, I just take issue with bad stakes and bad drama; there is a difference. More importantly, my issue with the galaxy travel book had nothing to do with stakes or drama.
    I was referring to your constant objections and nitpicking at the slight plot contrivances. No story is safe from those.

Someone please tell me I didn't read the words "caca poo poo" twice.
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

Yeah, pretty much the only cringe-worthy moment in the series. But, Barry has another cameo in 6 and there's no baby-talk.

Speaking of which, I see the backs of two women in that Kandor panel. One's obviously Diana but who is the other? Jessica? I was just thrown because Hal is there and I'm conditioned to the idea that the JL only has one GL around at a time.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Quote Originally Posted by Cmbmool View Post
    Yet Geoff Johns, himself, stated in interviews that the events of Doomsday Clock are sprinkled in current DC Comics and it was meant to be seen as an event to refer to back issues. Doesn't that sound as important or not ?
    The delays just make things muddy, best to just wait until it’s all done. I could see the build up in Priest’s Justice League, but not Snyder’s. Then, there’s the rumors about CRISIS, the “creative refresh” (ie. Morrison on GL), and that they’re gonna start allowing writers to start using the Legion, the JSA, and Shazam (which Johns himself has grabbed) swirling around. Johns has also ignored continuity in Doomsday Clock himself (Killer Frost’s time with the JLA never coming up). EDIT: apparently there’s more than Killer Frost. Where’s this one been?

I don’t know, it feels like DC is leaving Johns behind on this.

Now I should mention, I’m fine with that. I’m not a fan of Doomsday Clock and the delays haven’t helped.
    Last edited by bigstupidjellyfish; 07-04-2018 at 12:08 PM.

Extraordinary Member

I am really digging Bendis' take on Superman. He's still a boy scout, and still larger than life, but he's also a person with little flaws. He can be overprotective when it comes to Jon and Lois, but he doesn't stop them even though it is well within his power to do so. His ego is bruised a little when Supergirl saves the day instead of him, but he's a big enough man to swallow his pride and look at the big picture. He fights with his head, even when he's been hurt so deeply anyone else would fly into a blind rage. He's not perfect, but he knows what his weaknesses are and is capable of catching himself. That's the sort of balance between the 'super' and the 'man' that's been missing so much since around Infinite Crisis.

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    I was referring to your constant objections and nitpicking at the slight plot contrivances. No story is safe from those.
    No story is safe from such things, I agree, and I'm not saying you have to care about them on the same level I do. I am just saying that they take ME out of the story. If my opinions bother you so much, I invite you to put me on ignore.

This was a good mini. I found myself dying laughing that Superman didn't really seem to give a frack about Jon leaving until Lois was going to go then it was all "hold up, hoooold uuuup, hooooooooooooolleeeeee uuuuuuuuuuuup!" lol. Lois def must have the goods. lol
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

And i totally wanted to see lois in the superman costume. *sigh*
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by jwatson View Post
    This was a good mini. I found myself dying laughing that Superman didn't really seem to give a frack about Jon leaving until Lois was going to go then it was all "hold up, hoooold uuuup, hooooooooooooolleeeeee uuuuuuuuuuuup!"
    What gave you the impression he didn't care? Of course he did.

Yeah he was greatly against Jon going right from the start. He was just keeping a level head. Lois then offering to go was just him losing that cool. Broke the camel's back, so to speak. But he was shooting daggers at Jor-El the entire time.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Man I can't even remember the last time I thought Bendis nailed the ending to an arc. Certainly not his Iron Man or Spider-Man finales. But I enjoyed the ending to this story.

Pros:
    -Bendis delivered a very solid grasp of Clark's voice. He always felt in-character to me.
    -He referenced both Tomasi and Jurgens
    -The explanation for the return of the trunks was heartwarming
    -His Kara was great and hilarious, I loved how Clark tried to chastise her for using the PZ and Kara countered him by citing Kryptonian Law and also because @#$% Rogal
    -That shot of Clark all alone was heartbreaking
    -I liked how Jor was kind of disappointed with what Clark had become. It makes sense, Jor was very much a man of science and intellect, and while Clark is no slouch in those regards he tends to solve problems with his fists. I'm sure Jor was hoping Kal would've followed in his footsteps as a scientist. The tension between the two of them was great.
    -I liked Jon's reasons for wanting to go. Seeing an evil version of yourself is going to upset you. For Clark it's old hat, but Jon has a point that just "hoping" things won't turn out that way isn't a good plan. That page with Jon emptying out his drawer was hilarious.
    -I liked that Lois decided to go along. She knows Perry is just throwing a fit and that he'll give her the job back the moment she asks. I also like that Lois is still writing books, that's one thing from Lois and Clark I had wished was continued. Lois' Guide to the Galaxy sounds amazing.
    -The page with the memorial for Kandor was utterly beautiful, Fabok is on another level

Cons
    -While I'm interested in knowing more about him, and I like that he seems to have been a black ops guy doing his bosses dirty work, Rogal is still fairly generic. He's yet another strong guy who can go toe-to-toe with Superman. What's so special about that? The people who whine that Supes is "overpowered" and no one can match him don't read comics anyway.

It might seem very lopsided but since this mini starred Rogal it hurt MoS that he didn't really get much fleshing out besides the first couple of issues. Still that ending tease has me extremely interested, and I feel reassured about Bendis taking over. If he can avoid anymore "caca poopoo" moments then I think I'm going to really enjoy this run.