Page 49 of 53 FirstFirst ... 39454647484950515253 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    Nah, she's on some next level sh!t now. I don't recall Superwoman ever going on awesome Star Trek/Rick and Morty adventures with her son and her jerky father-in-law

Seems like Bendis laid down a few hint as to what some of their space adventures might hold. For one, in issue 2 we see that the Superman symbol is galactic, and in this issue Bendis reaffirms this with Clark's line. I bet Jor-El's jerky heart is gonna start to melt once he realizes that his son putting of fires in his baby clothes means a lot more to a lot more people than just humans. Then there's the whole busted communicator deal. Seems like that's just there to serve as a way from keeping Clark from being an easy fix-it button for whatever jam they're in out there. Then there's Kara very, very likely meeting up with them out there.

Plus Bendis said that he's going to be slowly unfolding the mystery of where Jor-El was between Oz Effect and now, and that puts Lois right smack-dab in the middle of said mystery, thus allowing detective muscles to be flexed long term.
    I may be paranoid, but that kid accusing Superman of starting the fires, and the busted communicator? It’s starting to sound like maybe Rogol Zaar is onto Kryptonians. Maybe Jor-El is right and all Clark is doing is making fires to make himself feel needed? And making sure there’s no communicator so Lois and Jon are out of Clark’s hair? Also a very Hank Pym move to feel important. (Marvels Hank Pym, Giantman, faked a threat to make himself look indispensable). If Rogol Zaar has got it right about Kryptonians, then Jor-El’s insistence Clark could do more with Earth starts to sound like colonialism.

What people are noticing isn’t right about some of this stuff Bendis has done to Superman and Lois, could be a Krypton psychosis. Something Rogol Zaar may be eluding to. I know, I’m being very suspicious of the many assumptions we have to make about Rogol Zaar’s motivation, but why would you let your wife and kid go with your crazy father, when family soughts out it’s own problems?

And really, what is Clark doing putting out fires? Doesn’t he have better things to do? He’s starting to sound like Marvels Sentry, who is a total psychological wreck. Isn’t Superman supposed to know when his stuff is being messed with and be there in a microsecond? Or have things changed for Clark over time?

This ending, with Kara saving the day, (in Clark’s own book) is humiliating for Clark, or, Clark is not quite all there. We never find out Rogol Zaars reasons for Krypton hatred, or why Jor-El not knowing RZ was coming after Clark? So many loose ends hanging that it’s just not giving us anything to hold onto. Why wasn’t Clark warned of this Rogol Zaar at all by that group in issue 1?

I’m mostly disappointed we never saw Earth sucked into the Phantom Zone. RZ had the device right there. Why didn’t he use it?
    Last edited by jackolover; 07-05-2018 at 05:03 AM.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

As Clark says the Zone isn't a solution. The only reason he did basically the same in Path to Doom was because the answer to why Doomsday was there wasn't all that important.

The projector hasn't been used in such a way before off the top of my head, to take a whole planet even though it's not too helpful in terms of killing people like he intends anyway.

Kara using the projector was also the only way it could be used. You can't tag anyone with it unless one other person is willing to hold them steady. Not practical as a weapon.

Anyone. Anywhere.Anytime. Arsenal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Stardust View Post
    Can we start a new modus operandi for superheroics?
    If a villain wants something give it to him because he might take it by force.

For all Lois and Clark know Jor -El is still under control of the one, who made him a mass -murderer when he last showed up.
    Sendung Jon with him to make sure that he doesn't become a mass-murderer himself sounds like the worst thought out idea I read so far in a Superman comic.

But I guess seeing it this way makes me a hater and illogical, or nitpicking
    And I should trust Jon's judge of character. When Jon also wanted to go with Jor-El while he was still in his "influence a lot of people to kill other people" mode

It's great for you all that you like the story. But let other people say why they don't.
    Sure you could do that. Or, if you know a supervillain is gonna do something, you attempt to take control of the situation before it gets out of hand (pretty basic superhero stuff imo). Well, some of them shoulda been put down decades ago but that's a whole different discussion entirely.

It's been awhile since I read the arc but did Jor-El ever try to hurt Jon even when he was full mass-murder mode? Because if he didn't, maybe spending summer vacation traveling the galaxy while doing some good might not be the worst thing for Jon right now.

And you plan to trust Jon's judge of character despite him wanting to go with Jor-El both times he's met him? Unless I'm missing something, that doesn't make much sense considering what you're saying.

Not sure what ya problem is but it ain't with me. I don't think you are a hater, illogical or nitpicking. Or that you shouldn't say why you didn't enjoy the story. I just disagreed with the comparison because the two scenarios aren't really comparable.

Spectacular Member

INTERVIEW: Brian Michael Bendis on writing a hero for today’s world in SUPERMAN #1 and ACTION COMICS #1001

http://www.comicsbeat.com/interview-...n-comics-1001/

Art from SUPERMAN #1

Last edited by JimmySpectre; 07-05-2018 at 10:04 AM.

It's even difficult just trying to describe how pleasant those pages look and play out.

Ok, finally read issue 6!

Overall, I'm loving the writing. Really good, and Bendis's "voice" for Superman is both unique and familiar at the same time. Just the mentality I'd like Superman to have, even if it's not exactly what we've seen before.

One thing really sticks with me, though, and that's Jor-El. The way he was left, Superman didn't know where he was and Jor-El was suffering from Kryptonite poisoning again since his staff was broken by Superman. Clark doesn't know what he's been doing, where he was taken, or how he "got over" the poisoning.

So... that part doesn't totally fly with me. You're telling me he hasn't told Lois or Jon any of this? Or that he doesn't now tell Jon "Look, buddy, I know you want to go. But we don't know where he's been and we don't know if he's still under the control of whatever he was before. When I broke his staff it broke the control, but he was in severe pain and was teleported away and not by his own choice. It would only make sense that the person controlling him was taking him back. Now he's just here and fine all-of-a-sudden? We don't know enough of what's going on to fully trust that he's ok now. But if you really want to go and learn, let me talk to the Green Lanterns and see if there isn't another way for you to go out and learn these things. We WILL find a way for you to go, but not like this."

As for the fires, I'm thinking maybe a Bizarro clone, or someone impersonating him.
    Hear my new CD "Love The World Away", available on iTunes, Google Music, Spotify, Shazam, and Amazon: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01N5XYV..._waESybX1C0RXK via @amazon
    www.jamiekelleymusic.com
    TV interview here: https://snjtoday.com/snj-today-hotline-jamie-kelley/

I... hope it's Brainiac.

When it comes to Jor-el it was such a confused, rushed interaction and being the guy who breaks out of all sorts of enemy strongholds, I think Clark would wonder about what's going on rather than how it's gotten to the point of happening.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    I... hope it's Brainiac.

When it comes to Jor-el it was such a confused, rushed interaction and being the guy who breaks out of all sorts of enemy strongholds, I think Clark would wonder about what's going on rather than how it's gotten to the point of happening.
    True, but he's got a reporter's mind, too. Especially when it concerns his wife and son, he's going to want to know everything. It's odd that he isn't shown to wonder any of it or voice those concerns with Lois or Jon (or even Jor, for that matter). Simple questions, like "where've you been?" "How did you escape?" "What brought all of this on?" etc, aren't even addressed.
    Hear my new CD "Love The World Away", available on iTunes, Google Music, Spotify, Shazam, and Amazon: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01N5XYV..._waESybX1C0RXK via @amazon
    www.jamiekelleymusic.com
    TV interview here: https://snjtoday.com/snj-today-hotline-jamie-kelley/

Quote Originally Posted by manofsteel1979 View Post
    Both Quoted for truth and co-Signed.

The Goal posts keep moving. Initially it was " oh no! Bendis is going to kill Lois and Jon!" . Then when it was clear that wasn't happening then the worry became " oh no! They are going to so something to Jon and Lois and Clark are divorcing!" When that didn't happen it morphed into " oh no! They are going to have Jon leave and Lois is going to be angry at Clark and she's going to leave him!" and now that we all know Lois and Jon are simply going to have their own subplot separate from Superman for the next while,now it's somehow character assasination of Lois because she didnt put her foot down and forced her Son to stay and would dare put his wellbeing above her job temporarily, and therefore Bendis has ruined Lois and thus his whole run in now tainted.

I am convinced now that some of us here already decided months ago that Bendis on Superman is a non starter and there is nothing short of his firing or quiting or apologizing for taking the books from the previous teams or daring even to entertain any story idea that in any way alters any aspect of the Rebirth Status quo that will change their mind or even give this all a fair shot.

That's their prerogative of course. They are welcome to not buy the books and support it. They are welcome to express their opinions on all this. However I do wish people would be more up front about all this and stop moving the goal posts. If Bendis on Superman itself is a non starter, or the idea of Lois and Jon or Lois herself being temporarily separated from Clark and off earth is the issue, then say so. No need to exaggerate or assume the worst for the future to be outraged.

If Bendis does something worthy of scorn, then I will be appropriately critical of him. So far for me he hasn't.
    Truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth right here. Well, with one exception...you mention that many won't be happy til Bendis is fired, but I don't think that will make them happy either.
    "Darkseid...always hated music..."

Every post I make, it should be assumed by the reader that the following statement is attached: "It's all subjective. What works for me doesn't necessarily work for you, and vice versa, and that's ok. You may have a different opinion on it, but this is mine. That's the wonderful thing about being a comics fan, it's all subjective."

Quote Originally Posted by jackolover View Post
    I may be paranoid, but that kid accusing Superman of starting the fires, and the busted communicator? It’s starting to sound like maybe Rogol Zaar is onto Kryptonians. Maybe Jor-El is right and all Clark is doing is making fires to make himself feel needed? And making sure there’s no communicator so Lois and Jon are out of Clark’s hair? Also a very Hank Pym move to feel important. (Marvels Hank Pym, Giantman, faked a threat to make himself look indispensable). If Rogol Zaar has got it right about Kryptonians, then Jor-El’s insistence Clark could do more with Earth starts to sound like colonialism.
    It'd be an interesting twist on Bendis' talk about how the "world needs Superman more than ever" that's certain. I suppose you could be right and Clark is starting the fires....but I don't think that's the direction they're going. The world is full of enough threats, Clark doesn't have to invent them. Plus, I think this is supposed to tie into the changes in Clark's worldview; he's fought gods and alien invasions and all sorts of extinction level events, but is forgetting about the little people, who're currently burning.

And really, what is Clark doing putting out fires? Doesn’t he have better things to do? He’s starting to sound like Marvels Sentry, who is a total psychological wreck. Isn’t Superman supposed to know when his stuff is being messed with and be there in a microsecond? Or have things changed for Clark over time?
    Clark's never been too big for any kind of heroism. Cats in trees, fires, purse snatchers......Clark isn't the kind of guy who can suffer the lesser evil. He tackles all of it.

Why wasn’t Clark warned of this Rogol Zaar at all by that group in issue 1?
    You mean the Quintessence type of group with Ganthet and Sardath? They want this whole thing kept quiet. They're not about to go to Superman; the biggest hero on the biggest pain in the ass world in Guardian space, and tell him they helped cover up the murder of his homeworld.

I’m mostly disappointed we never saw Earth sucked into the Phantom Zone. RZ had the device right there. Why didn’t he use it?
    The earth being in the Zone is supposed to be a big hook for Superman's first arc, right? Maybe Bendis just wanted the "launch point" to happen in that book, instead of a prelude miniseries?
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

I think that might be the line when the story hits Metropolis, that Superman is responsible for starting the fires and he's doing it to make the people feel like they need him, which causes them to question what else he might have had a hand in actually concocting in his history. And Zaar's revelations about Krypton, if they get made public, could serve to reinforce said accusations. But it wouldn't actually be true. There'd be some manipulation going on at a greater level.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Incredible Member

Finished up MoS-- Absolutely loved it.

Bendis totally nails Clark/Superman's voice and mind in a way I haven't seen in years. The right balance of warmth and charm, bravery and insecurity and humour... Ugh, so good. I'd like to see a certain side of Superman expanded on that no one other than Morrison has really touched since the 80's-- his purely 'weird' side. Give me that, and this guy's perfect.

I've seen a lot of complaints about Bendis Speak over the years, but other then the occasional bum line that every writer has, I was overjoyed by what I was reading. The Bendis Speak only came up in a negative way a couple of times ("Caca poo poo"). For some reason I don't even remember-- I only read a few full issues of Rebirth Superman, right after Superman Reborn, and found the dialogue absolutely amateurish and painful to get through, so this was a big breath of fresh air. Though from what I understand, post-Reborn that run started running out of steam, so I might go back and try the first half of it.

Bendis also nails the voices of each League member*. I've never been interested in Kara enough to know whether she was 100% in character here, but I really enjoyed her none the less. Looking forward to checking out her new space adventure to see if that hooks me.

*Argument could be made that Barry sounded too much like Wally, but hell, that's what a LOT of writers are doing nowadays.

The Jon/Lois decision certainly felt rushed. I felt he could have teased it all less i the first few issues and let the argument/discussion happen earlier and longer, just to really make it feel earned. but overall I loved where both of Lois and Jon are coming from in their decisions and can't wait to see what baggage each brings back from this.

I can't stand Jor-El being around, but that's not Bendis's fault-- I liked the tension between he and Kal and since we're stuck with him, they may as well explore it.

The pacing throughout the series could have been better. It was spinning its wheels-- plot wise-- for a good couple of issues there. Luckily, the characters themselves were so good that it didn't feel like a pain to get through. Far from it. Also, that glorious weekly schedule no doubt helped alleviate things. But the pace of this last issue, for instance, was really great for me.

And there were little contrivances like... Rogol (who started out well, but ended up a little flat) stabbed Superman in the chest in AC#1000, but that's never a thing here. And twice he knocks Superman out and, rather than finish the job, he does a "tactical retreat" (as Wonder Woman puts it). That didn't work for me.

Every artist, it goes without saying, was a treat for the eyes.

I'm eagerly awaiting his run proper now, and seeing how he expands on the Daily Planet/Metropolis/the world of Superman the way he said he would.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

I dug #6. Solid mini series overall and if this is the level of quality going forward, I'm a happy reader.

The whole scene with Jor-El was so meta. I loved it. Time traveling Jor-El dropping in, dues ex machina style, to Clark's dull status quo like "this is what's been going on with your life lately? i moved the heavens to save you and you're just doing THIS? lemme take your son and give him some perspective or something, bye."
    Last edited by Flash Gordon; 07-05-2018 at 07:45 PM.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JimmySpectre View Post
    INTERVIEW: Brian Michael Bendis on writing a hero for today’s world in SUPERMAN #1 and ACTION COMICS #1001

http://www.comicsbeat.com/interview-...n-comics-1001/

Art from SUPERMAN #1

God, these are some gorgeous pages.

Reis is a master storyteller.

Dominators? Interesting
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.