Page 5 of 53 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

I'm glad you enjoyed it man, hope it keeps up for all of us.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

This is the most I've enjoyed a new Superman comic in a VERY long time. As long as the quality remains consistent, I will be happy to see where this goes. Moore seems like a fun new civilian character, we always need more of those.

The only negative is a minor one. Is that Killer Moth's Rebirth design? it's stupid and I hate it.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

It really make me happy seeing so many of us in collective enjoyment for this issue, this rarely happens here.

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    It really make me happy seeing so many of us in collective enjoyment for this issue, this rarely happens here.
    Dude, it almost NEVER happens. 5 pages in and we've yet to see even a " meh." This has to be a new record.
    When it comes to comics,one person's "fan-service" is another persons personal cannon. So by definition it's ALL fan service. Aren't we ALL fans?
    SUPERMAN is the greatest fictional character ever created.

Quote Originally Posted by manofsteel1979 View Post
    Dude, it almost NEVER happens. 5 pages in and we've yet to see even a " meh." This has to be a new record.
    Meh was my 2nd response to it, I originally just hated it because Bendis’s Name and the more recent stuff I’ve read from him put me off. I then read it again and found it harmless and meh
    I had to read my other stuff and come back and read it for an 3rd time to really appreciate it.

And considering I only bought it to see how bad it was, I’m very surprised
    Last edited by Denirac; 05-30-2018 at 04:29 PM.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

I enjoyed this. Much better than any Superman comics I've read in a few years, honestly.

Nothing groundbreaking, but the villain seems a tiny bit more than just "Villain Man". I dig that. It's nice having Superman involved in something interesting. I also really appreciated the small beats. Recent Superman comics have lacked any sense of identity or character, so this is a nice lane change.

Ivan Reis sells it.
    Last edited by Flash Gordon; 05-30-2018 at 04:50 PM.

This was awesome! You can feel Bendis loves the character, and that's always a good thing. It seems he also has huge plans for Superman. The character deserves it!

Astonishing Member Kal-El Summers's Avatar

Read it just as soon as I got home. As someone who despised his X-Men run and dreaded his being handed Supes, I have to give Bendis credit for a pretty damn good first issue. Distinct voices, solid characterization, banging art, very little Bendis-speak... I really hope he can stick the landing on this.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    My guess is that Jon's growth spurt is to give Bendis an excuse to redesign his costume.
    I'm guessing it'll come courtesy of Jor-El while they're on Bliss (unconfirmed speculation), and likely be indestructible/durable.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Well that was a relief.

I've been on a bit of a hiatus with comics for over a year now and just now jumping back on a few titles. After all the Bendis talk leading up to this (I've never read the guy before) I was worried I wouldn't be reading any Superman since he's driving them all. But if this was any indication, I'll be happy. A really solid, good start. I pretty much liked everything about it. I was excited and nervous at the same time for this series, more than any other title I've recently jumped, but I'm on board now. I liked this. Oh and the art is top notch.

Becoming more and more convinced they're setting up a Lois/Jon shared title. Sitting on the announcement of course so as not to spoil MOS all this time.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

D*mned Prince of Gotham JasonTodd428's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    I'm glad you enjoyed it man, hope it keeps up for all of us.
    I did enjoy it more than I was expecting that's for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Becoming more and more convinced they're setting up a Lois/Jon shared title. Sitting on the announcement of course so as not to spoil MOS all this time.
    You'll get no complaints from me if that's what's being set up here. I would like to see the relationship between mother and son explored more since there really wasn't a lot of that in the previous runs.
    Supporting LION FORGE COMICS and other independent publishers.

Check out Lion Forge's Catalyst Prime Universe. Its the best damned superhero verse in comics. Diverse characters and interesting stories set in a universe where anyone can be a hero. And company that prides itself on representation both in the comics themselves and in the people behind them.

Oh my goodness gracious! I've been bamboozled!

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change. AVATAR AANG

Really enjoyed this issue. Bendis has a solid grasp on Superman's voice, probably the best in a while.

so what's the basics of what's going on in this arc?

I'm still thrown by all of the continuity-smashing that's gone on in recent years. Is it going to be worth trying to check this out before another "Crisis" hits?

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    so what's the basics of what's going on in this arc?

I'm still thrown by all of the continuity-smashing that's gone on in recent years. Is it going to be worth trying to check this out before another "Crisis" hits?
    Any reports of a Crisis of any sort coming up have been refuted and laughed off by DC and all involved in making the comics, and the books are quite well right now, so I wouldn't worry about a Crisis coming any time soon.

In regards to what you'd need to read before this to prep you? Anything after Rebirth with special attention to Oz Effect and Reborn. Anything else is just dressing. All that said, I'd say you could probably just jump into this issue on its own because it's pretty self contained but if you want more context then Oz Effect is likely the main story you'll want.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.