Page 50 of 53 FirstFirst ... 404647484950515253 LastLast
    Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    Dominators? Interesting
    I noticed that too.

Is this the first time we've seen them since Rebirth? Did they ever pop up during the New 52?
    When it comes to comics,one person's "fan-service" is another persons personal cannon. So by definition it's ALL fan service. Aren't we ALL fans?
    SUPERMAN is the greatest fictional character ever created.

The Detective Man The Dying Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by manofsteel1979 View Post
    I noticed that too.

Is this the first time we've seen them since Rebirth? Did they ever pop up during the New 52?
    The Dominators appeared in Green Lanterns during Rebirth.
    "Excellent!" I cried. "Elementary," said he

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Been meaning to ask: did that scene with Superboy talking about the Titans remind anyone else of the tearful rejection the original Superboy had in his first meeting with the Legion?

Quote Originally Posted by JAK View Post
    True, but he's got a reporter's mind, too. Especially when it concerns his wife and son, he's going to want to know everything. It's odd that he isn't shown to wonder any of it or voice those concerns with Lois or Jon (or even Jor, for that matter). Simple questions, like "where've you been?" "How did you escape?" "What brought all of this on?" etc, aren't even addressed.
    Yeah, it's a stretch but I think it's possible to just meet Bendis there. That is to say that I personally wasn't tripped by the exposed seams.

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis Dad View Post
    I had not read SM since the new 52 and picked this issue up /#6/, because of everyone's enthusiasm on this thread. What a great villain and story. I did not even know SM had a son? At first I thought I was reading an alternate universe book, like Earth 53 or something? The ART was super amazing! If the same artist is on the new SM #1 I saw advertised, I might have to start getting it.
    Question-Since when was SM's dad alive
    ?
    Sadly, Jason Fabok is not on Superman #1. Ivan Reis is - but Reis is really good - very comparable in skill and appeal to Fabok.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

Quote Originally Posted by millernumber1 View Post
    Sadly, Jason Fabok is not on Superman #1. Ivan Reis is - but Reis is really good - very comparable in skill and appeal to Fabok.
    Thank you! I love good writing, but it is almost hard to stomach if the art sucks.

Can anyone tell me if Jor-El thinking; "this is all you have been doing" was explained. Did he mention what he thought SM should be doing, except for saying; "More"? I wonder if he thinks he should be ruling the planet?

I don't think he feels that Clark should be ruling the planet. But what he's probably doing is looking at what Clark's life is like in a myopic lens, seeing it as just "fighting crime/going home". Maybe he feels he should be sharing more of what Krypton had to offer once upon a time to Earth, doing more science relating things, as opposed to what he might see as just fighting all the time when "on the job". That's not to say he'd be right of course, Superman specifically shies away from these things because he recognizes Earth is not Krypton and does not force Kryptonian ideals, regardless of what kind, on the planet. But that could potentially be one angle that Jor-El is coming from. But, these are just theories, we'll surely find out more on where Bendis having Jor-El come from in future issues, as he makes it pretty clear he's not done utilizing the guy.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    Been meaning to ask: did that scene with Superboy talking about the Titans remind anyone else of the tearful rejection the original Superboy had in his first meeting with the Legion?
    I didn't before.. but that's a great idea catch! Maybe that was one reason they did it?

Yeah, it's a stretch but I think it's possible to just meet Bendis there. That is to say that I personally wasn't tripped by the exposed seams.
    I can meet him there, too, it's just more of a jump than I'd like - I also think the Clark/Lois/Jon repetition might have been scrapped in favor of a fast addressing of some of that. Especially since he was so excited to have that "gift," it's surprising he didn't look closer at the instructions.

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    I don't think he feels that Clark should be ruling the planet. But what he's probably doing is looking at what Clark's life is like in a myopic lens, seeing it as just "fighting crime/going home". Maybe he feels he should be sharing more of what Krypton had to offer once upon a time to Earth, doing more science relating things, as opposed to what he might see as just fighting all the time when "on the job". That's not to say he'd be right of course, Superman specifically shies away from these things because he recognizes Earth is not Krypton and does not force Kryptonian ideals, regardless of what kind, on the planet. But that could potentially be one angle that Jor-El is coming from. But, these are just theories, we'll surely find out more on where Bendis having Jor-El come from in future issues, as he makes it pretty clear he's not done utilizing the guy.
    Yep. He's kinda "diet-Eradicator" in that way. "Sugar-free, 0-calorie diet", but still. lol
    Hear my new CD "Love The World Away", available on iTunes, Google Music, Spotify, Shazam, and Amazon: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01N5XYV..._waESybX1C0RXK via @amazon
    www.jamiekelleymusic.com
    TV interview here: https://snjtoday.com/snj-today-hotline-jamie-kelley/

I'm going to throw something out there that may or may not come to pass, but something to think about...

I think it's very possible one of the ways Superman's approach may change is that instead of keeping Kryptonian tech hidden at the fortress out of fear of it falling into the wrong hands or fearing it could be perverted, he will start sharing some aspects of it with the world.

Also in this vein...its also possible he may decide to open up a Fortress of Solitude to the public as a museum of sorts to not only make himself for accessible to people but to raise funds for charities. Note I said *a Fortress* . If indeed all of Supes history is in play, he's had many different incarnations of the FOS. Yeah, most of them have been ransacked and then forced to move, but as far as I know his South American Aztec temple fortress still exists. Hell according to Morrison even Nuperman had that version. I could see him opening himself up to the public a bit and sharing in his adventures and some of his trophies, exhibits etc whilst keeping the truly dangerous and secret stuff in his new Bermuda triangle FOS.

Just a couple things I've mulled over as ways Clark can work to help the world beyond punching Brainiac every six months.
    When it comes to comics,one person's "fan-service" is another persons personal cannon. So by definition it's ALL fan service. Aren't we ALL fans?

I noticed that too.

Starfire Second in Command was a Dominator in RHatO during New 52.

Fantastic Member

Overall, i enjoyed man of steel. 4 stars

It was very good from issue 1 to 4 ( Actually I was blown away with issue 1 and 2) , issue 5 was bad (The justice league was just bad in this. My god. Looks like Bendis was taking notes from that awful justice league movie), issue 6 was ok, I'm still not happy that Bendis found a lame way to remove Lois and Jon from the book. Hope it's not too long. I love this family. Poor Clark.

I am looking forward to superman and action comics.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Moonwix View Post
    I'm still not happy that Bendis found a lame way to remove Lois and Jon from the book. Hope it's not too long. I love this family. Poor Clark. s.
    It's not long at all. Action Comics takes place after Lois's journey in space and she'll be in the book.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    It's not long at all. Action Comics takes place after Lois's journey in space and she'll be in the book.
    Good to hear that
    I hope Bendis doesn't see fit to screw up this relationship and create some tension in their marriage. It's the only current good relationship in DC that doesn't feel like a fan fic.
    Last edited by Moonwix; 07-07-2018 at 02:19 AM.

I have no problem with Lois and Clark occasionally facing challenges in their family and marriage. From observing my parents nearly 50 year marriage before my fathers passing 4 years ago, no marriage. ( or family)worth its salt is going to be without bumps and rough patches. It's seldom the wholesome idealistic Norman Rockwell painting come to life.

The issue in the past when the powers that be have done the " Uh Oh! Lois and Clark are having issues!" plotlines is that usually it was over the silliest reasons that realistically wouldn't or shouldn't cause strife given their histories prior or the creators go out of their way to make Lois look bad just to create drama and subtly( or not so subtly)push their personal disdain for the marriage within the story told and telegraph to the audience " see? Superman and Lois married is a bad idea. You should totally let us erase it!"

In that vein I understand people getting worried when any writer, especially a new one talks about adding drama to the mix with the Kents and putting them in challenging situations, because things that were done prior, like Lois acting cold to Clark for no logical reason or have he portrayed as an outright selfish person, Clark moping and acting ineffectual and teasing infidelity with exes and the like come to mind. ( looking at you Chuck Austins Lana Lang tries to sleep with a married Clark plotline).

One may argue that Superman is the ideal and thus should have an idealistic marriage and family life Where nothing really goes wrong and everything is pancake mornings and homespun wisdom where Kal knows best, but frankly ,while it was nice to see for two years of double shipping comics, every so often you do have to shake things up a little to make the good times even more precious. Otherwise you run the risk of making the idea of Lois and Clark: Doting parents boring and stagnant, which is the worst sin a comic book can commit, and then you are more likely to see Jon and the concept of a marriage and family for Clark to go away entirely. You have to keep it fresh for it to last.

I must say that while I loved the idea of Rebirth and the family and such and was fully on board the first year, it was clear that the teams ( particularly Tomasi) was starting to run out of steam. There had to be a change eventually and while I'm not 100 percent sure giving Bendis total control was the right decision, so far he is doing and saying the right thing with all of this. In spite of a few odd things, MOS was a breath of fresh air I really didn't realize that Superman needed until I got it, and I'm looking forward to the next few months.
    Last edited by manofsteel1979; 07-07-2018 at 06:54 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Moonwix View Post
    Good to hear that
    I hope Bendis doesn't see fit to screw up this relationship and create some tension in their marriage. It's the only current good relationship in DC that doesn't feel like a fan fic.
    Bendis has said he's most excited to work with how the Super family "can love and relate to each other", so while there may be tension with the character choices, he's not going to lose sight of their bond.

I must say that while I loved the idea of Rebirth and the family and such and was fully on board the first year, it was clear that the teams ( particularly Tomasi) was starting to run out of steam.
    I don't think they were losing steam at all. Some aggressively vocal fans just started to tire of the apple pie routine. Some of us didn't and were still enjoying the stories.
    Last edited by Miles To Go; 07-07-2018 at 07:23 AM.

I must say that while I loved the idea of Rebirth and the family and such and was fully on board the first year, it was clear that the teams ( particularly Tomasi) was starting to run out of steam.
    It was the double monthly release schedule that most likely impacted on the mid point of Tomasi and Gleason's run. I've seen a post online, maybe on here or Reddit or wherever where someone said they talked to Tomasi/Gleason and they said the bi-monthly schedule was exhausting. That would explain why there were more filler arcs and Imperius Lex + Super Sons of Tomorrow were fairly average compared with the rest of their run. If they were given Bendis' monthly schedule, I'm almost sure we would have gotten more hits than misses. Bizarroverse and the final issue were hitting the creative team's stride again as well so they still had good stories left in them.