Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast
    Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Inversed View Post
    I was hoping that after Spider-Man left that Aunt May would just whisper under her breath "Peter." Because after everything that has happened, all topped off with this encounter with Normie Goblin, I feel like she knows, or at least is almost certain that she knows.
    Not impossible that's what 801 is about. Dan has said he's known the concept for 801 for awhile (or something like that) - I could see having May reveal she knows (for the third time) would definitely be a good last issue. I mean, it'd be competing against two of the more well-loved "May finds out/reveals she knows" stories (The Conversation and The Gift), so it's a bold choice, but I could see it.

Quote Originally Posted by bob/.schoonover View Post
    Not impossible that's what 801 is about. Dan has said he's known the concept for 801 for awhile (or something like that) - I could see having May reveal she knows (for the third time) would definitely be a good last issue. I mean, it'd be competing against two of the more well-loved "May finds out/reveals she knows" stories (The Conversation and The Gift), so it's a bold choice, but I could see it.
    The most likely thing to expect would seem to be a Flash tribute issue, which could still be really nice, but I personally would like that Aunt May idea or some other surprise concept a bit more.

Although, if it does end up being the Flash issue, it's pretty funny and dark to think in retrospect, all the way back during No One Dies, literally right after he made him Venom, Slott decided he was gonna end his run by killing Flash.

Spectacular Member

So no new symbiote for peter to be wearing now that hes back in black like was hinted at?

Quote Originally Posted by Kurolegacy View Post
    What kinda pisses me off about Slott killing off Flash is that not only was it unnecessary, but it basically shows that he only repowered him in Venom Inc so he could kill him here. My only hope is that the fact that Flash still had the Anti-Venom left on him as we could clearly see when he showed up, that over time, the symbiote will reform and revive him. There’s at least that bit of wiggle room.
    Starting with the last point first, every death has designed in wiggle-room. That’s to be expected and applauded.

Where I disagree is the idea that the death was ‘unnecessary’ or that he ‘only repowered him to kill him’. The whole Peter/Flash relationship has been building to this for a long time. This issue marks the natural conclusion of this dynamic.

It is partly a comment on secret identities. Thematically this resolution belongs in this issue alongside the MJ scenes, the May scenes, and the whole JJJ/Osborne reveal that the story is based upon. Indeed viewed through this lens the whole issue maintains a close focus on the central idea of Peter’s secret identity, examining the reason he maintains it and the fragility of that arrangement. Flash becomes central to this and also plays into the other key moment, required in every key issue, the reiteration of the central themes of ASM.

This kind of resonance is the key to the success of this issue. It doesn’t work if it is just thrown together. There is nothing unnecessary in this issue. It has been lovingly crafted over a very long time, every piece positioned for a masterful endgame, as a climax to Slott’s run. The kind of climax that has me fascinated by what the plans are for 801, because this feels so final. Perhaps it will be a quieter issue, or perhaps it will launch other projects, but either way I expect it to be a tribute to Spider-Man from the guy that has so skilfully and loving guided his destiny for so long.
    Last edited by JKtheMac; 06-01-2018 at 12:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Inversed View Post
    I was hoping that after Spider-Man left that Aunt May would just whisper under her breath "Peter." Because after everything that has happened, all topped off with this encounter with Normie Goblin, I feel like she knows, or at least is almost certain that she knows.
    I do think this simple statement was notable by its absence. The pace of the issue almost distracts from this, but any ASM reader will naturally pause at the moment when this could have happened. It was a denied beat, and I wouldn’t be at-all surprised if it was a delayed one. The issue would have had to be 100 pages to include this here.

Quote Originally Posted by Naked Bat View Post
    He kinda does, but this more akin to a last minute guess than a real work of his mind. Which is what he was supposed to do after his first fight against the red goblin.

Listen, I'm glad for all of you who appreciated the issue but I was really disappointed by it, especially because of how much I loved issue 700. To me, issue 800 felt like it didn't have a lot to say and it was repeating the same patern again and again. To me, the story wasn't well constructed.

I was really excited for it, which disappoints me even more.
    Your comment actually saddens me. I can’t get my head around how a so clearly well constructed story could be read as the opposite. Perhaps your expectations have clouded your appreciation. I can only hope you give it another chance, perhaps after some distance, because if it’s a well constructed story you wanted I can’t see how this issue doesn’t provide it.

Quote Originally Posted by Seto Kaiba View Post
    It was done to give him the reason to FINALLY forgive the Symbiote. Clean slate. No more of "It's a symbiote, kill them all!" Parker. He's made peace finally. That's a biiiig thing given their history.
    Indeed, there is a lot of understated stuff here about symbiotes. The part about Peter’s own rage was fascinating. I read this as a potential final word on symbiotes in ASM. There is no need to have them in ASM now, as Slott ties the whole thing up with a bow and sends it on its own merry way. Any future writer wanting to use them has a clean slate, but Venom itself is moving into a very new era and can exist on its own for a while.

(Can somebody confirm if I am using the plural correctly here, I get confused by how the word is used at Marvel.)

BANNED

That's definitely possible. The pace of #800 didn't allow for it but it seems hard to imagine that May doesn't know (again) and it would be a great emotional capstone to Dan's run to have that reveal and discussion between Peter and May. And Marcos Martin would be the perfect artist to depict it. I guess we'll find out soon enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Dangerous View Post
    Funny, I feel the opposite...

For me #700 was a really insulting, distasteful exercise, basically a pile of hot garbage.
    Whereas #800 was epic, entertaining, very fun and comicbooky and it read like a celebration of ASM instead of pissing on the character like #700 did.

I went into #800 cautiously optimistic because I had enjoyed Go Down Swinging so far, but generally was not a fan of Slott's run, but came out of #800 saying to myself 'Holy crap that was really good!'.
    That's interesing indeed. We do have really opposite opinions on that matter! To me, both Norman and Peter were clueless for most of the issues and acted like kids playing cops and robbers.

Quote Originally Posted by JKtheMac View Post
    Your comment actually saddens me. I can’t get my head around how a so clearly well constructed story could be read as the opposite. Perhaps your expectations have clouded your appreciation. I can only hope you give it another chance, perhaps after some distance, because if it’s a well constructed story you wanted I can’t see how this issue doesn’t provide it.
    Do not be sad, for all that matters is that you liked it.

I'm definitely not telling others what to think of this story, and I'm glad for people like you who loved it. I wish I could say the same, but I can't.

I don't think my judgement is clouded, though. I know when I love a story or when I don't, and I know why.

ASM #800 didn't work for me. but it's not that important, since the creative team is switching soon, which I'm ready for.

I am a little confused about this: After OMD Peter remembers everything right? Every marriage story happened except for not being married after all (just living together wit MJ). So he remembers the Conversation. He remembers the unmasking. Right? So he knows that Aunt May would be supportive. Why he would keep it a secret from her mother?

World's Greatest Hero blackspidey2099's Avatar

Well, I'm glad you thought ASM 800 was a well-constructed story, but to me it was a complete hatchet job. Seems like Slott had a few things left in his checklist, so he just shoddily put everything into this book so he'd get to do everything he wanted before his run ended. I can't see how things like Flash's death, the entire symbiote plot, the introduction of Harry's mom, etc. were nothing more than completely lazy writing. And this is coming from someone who usually loves Slott's work.
    "Anyone can win a fight when the odds are easy! It's when the going's tough - when there seems to be no chance - that's when it counts!" - Spider-Man

Starting with the last point first, every death has designed in wiggle-room. That’s to be expected and applauded.

Where I disagree is the idea that the death was ‘unnecessary’ or that he ‘only repowered him to kill him’. The whole Peter/Flash relationship has been building to this for a long time. This issue marks the natural conclusion of this dynamic.

It is partly a comment on secret identities. Thematically this resolution belongs in this issue alongside the MJ scenes, the May scenes, and the whole JJJ/Osborne reveal that the story is based upon. Indeed viewed through this lens the whole issue maintains a close focus on the central idea of Peter’s secret identity, examining the reason he maintains it and the fragility of that arrangement. Flash becomes central to this and also plays into the other key moment, required in every key issue, the reiteration of the central themes of ASM.

This kind of resonance is the key to the success of this issue. It doesn’t work if it is just thrown together. There is nothing unnecessary in this issue. It has been lovingly crafted over a very long time, every piece positioned for a masterful endgame, as a climax to Slott’s run. The kind of climax that has me fascinated by what the plans are for 801, because this feels so final. Perhaps it will be a quieter issue, or perhaps it will launch other projects, but either way I expect it to be a tribute to Spider-Man from the guy that has so skilfully and loving guided his destiny for so long.
    When it comes to Flash's death though, the entire scenario just played out in a contrived manner that just felt there to have drama rather than anything natural. There was literally no reason for Flash to have shown up on that spot like he did at that time especially when he had already thwarted Osborn’s plan. The same effect could have been gained having Flash come on comm to reveal everyone was alright. And as for Slott repowering him just to kill him, it really seems like it considering he knew how this story was gonna go for quite some time and I find it a bit suspicious that he suddenly repowered Flash, a character he’d need in this exact role just before this happened unless he planned this from the beginning. Unless he wrote it this way to give Flash a back foot to return, he just gave him Anti-Venom to kill him here.

Glad to here Ock is back and might be Superior Spider-Man again. That's the last time I read Spider-Man. Don't like what happened to Flash as his version of Venom was really awesome.
    "We live in a world of cowards. We live in a world full of small minds who are afraid. We are ruled by those who refuse to risk anything of their own. Who guard their over bloated paucities of power with money. With false reasoning. With measured hesitance. With prideful, recalcitrant inaction. With hateful invective. With weapons. F@#K these selfish fools and their prevailing world order." Tony Stark

Amazing Member

This would have been a great opportunity to kill off the entire supporting cast of Spider-Man rip-offs, and leave Peter as the sole Spider-Man. It would have caused him to approach things differently, and take on a new attitude moving forward. Instead, it was a $10 issue where absolutely nothing changed. Wow, Otto is in a new body and trying to fool everyone. We've read that already. Wow, Normie is potentially evil, and we'll have lots of subtle hints about his intentions. We've read that for years. Wow, Norman is still alive but incarcerated and without his Goblin powers. That seems to happen a lot. Wow, a huge tease about the fan-favourite black costume. Wears it for 10 seconds, and then it's gone for another 10 years.

And don't get me started on how Johnny was totally useless against Norman. The guy was once the lord of the Negative Zone, and he's jobbing to the Carnage symbiote? Bad writing.