Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Well, it has Mike Allred on art, so of course it's awesome. Allred brings out the best in every writer he works with. It's fun and funny and crazy and sweet. I'm not generally a Silver Surfer fan, but Slott and Allred are killing it here. Probably because he isn't waxing melancholic about every damned thing. "Ow! I stubbed me toe! I'll go on a three-page monologue about the injustice of a world that allows me to stub my toe!" Smile once in a while, you drama queen!

tried it did not care for it. The humor fell flat for me and there were no stakes that pulled me in.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiamatty View Post
    Well, it has Mike Allred on art, so of course it's awesome. Allred brings out the best in every writer he works with. It's fun and funny and crazy and sweet. I'm not generally a Silver Surfer fan, but Slott and Allred are killing it here. Probably because he isn't waxing melancholic about every damned thing. "Ow! I stubbed me toe! I'll go on a three-page monologue about the injustice of a world that allows me to stub my toe!" Smile once in a while, you drama queen!
    Yeah, exactly. And Dawn's presence I think is going to a long way toward balancing things out when Surfer does start to get maudlin or overly existential or whatever. And maybe it'll even help ol' Norrin Radd lighten up a bit himself.

Quote Originally Posted by tacobongo View Post
    Yeah, exactly. And Dawn's presence I think is going to a long way toward balancing things out when Surfer does start to get maudlin or overly existential or whatever. And maybe it'll even help ol' Norrin Radd lighten up a bit himself.
    Dawn's also a great character in her own right. I like that she's no distressed damsel. She freed herself from her cell.

Dawn's also a great character in her own right. I like that she's no distressed damsel. She freed herself from her cell.
    Absolutely! It reminds me of the way the Doctor / companion relationship works when it works well

Hate the happy-go-lucky style of the book, hate Allred's terribad art (oh no he didn't!). The Infinity Silver Surfer tie-in is how a series of such a character should be handled. This feels like Hawkeye in Space.

Astonishing Member Global Honored's Avatar

This has been terrific so far and is one of the, if not THE first book I read whenever it comes out. Allreds on art is perfect fit and Slott is doing a great job writing to their strengths. It is pure cosmic delight and the most recent issue changes the game already. Can't wait to see where the journey takes us next. Get on board!

Quote Originally Posted by megaharrison View Post
    Hate the happy-go-lucky style of the book, hate Allred's terribad art (oh no he didn't!). The Infinity Silver Surfer tie-in is how a series of such a character should be handled. This feels like Hawkeye in Space.
    This invalidates every opinion you have. Allred's art is amazing, and not liking it makes you a terrible person.

That's right, your very worth as a human being is dependent on whether you like a single comic book artist.

BANNED

Well, the art's still off-putting, so there's that.

I was put off by his art until I actually read books he drew...this is a good fit.

Astonishing Member Global Honored's Avatar

Madman and Red Rocket 7 are terrific reads and I recommend them to new Allred fans. Full of cosmic and existential treats. He is a rare talent.
    And his work for Marvel on X-Statix was phenomenal IMO, though that was sharply written by Peter Milligan.

Slott is definitely writing to Mike and Laura's strengths which at times will draw comparisons to Madman, etc. That isn't a bad thing to me. If you were paid to write a song for David Bowie then you wouldn't make it country/western.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

This invalidates every opinion you have. Allred's art is amazing, and not liking it makes you a terrible person.

That's right, your very worth as a human being is dependent on whether you like a single comic book artist.
    Never been a fan of his faux Kirby art either....just to show that not everyone likes it. Figures are stiff and the backgrounds are frequently uninteresting or non-existent. So there! But then I am pretty sure you are being facetious with you retort.
    At least some artists re-invent themselves and try out different things but I find it kind of stagnant creatively.

So no, I am not buying this because Allred is doing it.
    Last edited by Iron Maiden; 07-22-2014 at 06:44 AM.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Prince Of Orphans View Post
    It's okay. Sometimes it's a little too lighthearted and the art helps contribute to that somewhat.
    I feel about the same way. It is a much lighter hearted silver surfer than i would like. The surfer is one of the strongest beings in the marvel universe and has always been to me a hard-nosed, all business kind of guy.

I like the lightheartedness, I think Allred & Slott didn't want to go with the cosmic god as the central theme.
    The theme that drives it is an absurdist existential adventure for all ages.

Quote Originally Posted by tenlong View Post
    I feel about the same way. It is a much lighter hearted silver surfer than i would like. The surfer is one of the strongest beings in the marvel universe and has always been to me a hard-nosed, all business kind of guy.
    Which is exactly why he got so stale. This is a good pitch and a fun hook...im sure we will see the more traditional surfer pop up again...