Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by tenlong View Post
    The surfer is one of the strongest beings in the marvel universe and has always been to me a hard-nosed, all business kind of guy.
    That was his characterization for a big chunk of the '90s, but it was a shift from the much more angst-driven, introspective take on the character that had dominated up until that point.

He's a character who can go in a lot of different directions. I wouldn't want a lighthearted version forever, but it's a nice change of pace at the moment.

BANNED

I love it. The worst part about it is my certainty that it can't last 20 issues. It's too good.

I like it. I like Dawn. I like Toomie.

Astonishing Member Enigmatic Undead's Avatar

I'm enjoying it and I would like to see Dan Slott write some Doctor Who comics.
    "It is wrong to assume that art needs the spectator in order to be. The film runs on without any eyes. The spectator cannot exist without it. It ensures his existence." -- James Douglas Morrison

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by tacobongo View Post
    I really liked issue four, probably the most out of all the issues so far. That said, I totally agree with this:
    Its completely in his power to do that (make himself look human) however. It makes more sense than him dressing up in a trenchcoat and fedora when he wants to be incognito(FF characters must have a thing for the Bogart look).

In Fraction's Defenders, he was working as a human fry cook(because he just felt like it).

He later in that same series transformed himself into a snow shower (because he just felt like that too).

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Expletive Deleted View Post
    That was his characterization for a big chunk of the '90s, but it was a shift from the much more angst-driven, introspective take on the character that had dominated up until that point.

He's a character who can go in a lot of different directions. I wouldn't want a lighthearted version forever, but it's a nice change of pace at the moment.
    I agree that the current run is a different kind of ss than we had in the past, and different is not also always bad. I am just happy the silver surfer is back in his own title.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic Vega View Post
    Its completely in his power to do that (make himself look human) however. It makes more sense than him dressing up in a trenchcoat and fedora when he wants to be incognito(FF characters must have a thing for the Bogart look).

In Fraction's Defenders, he was working as a human fry cook(because he just felt like it).

He later in that same series transformed himself into a snow shower (because he just felt like that too).
    I get that he CAN make himself look human; the power cosmic allows him to do almost anything he wants. I just don't personally LIKE all this non-silveriness. My guess is that one of the themes that Dan Slott might be playing with is who exactly the Surfer is / wants to be. In the past, he'd say things like, "Norrin Radd is no more! Now only stands the Silver Surfer!" Again, this is only a guess, but I think Slott might focus on the fact that Surfer is still very much a human character, and that perhaps Dawn will essentially "get him out of his shell," continually reminding him that he is / can be both Norrin and the Surfer - that he doesn't have to be a lonely space weirdo.

And while I'm okay with this thematic message, I just don't care for seeing him as human. He has an iconic look and every time he appears with white skin, I can't help but be put off a little, especially in Issue 4 where Dawn is almost mean about him changing his appearance.

But whatevs. I'm not one to bristle up because something isn't EXACTLY HOW I WANT IT TO BE!!!

-Pav, who already misses Mr. Plorp and Mr. Krobat...

PS: I loved when SS turned himself into snow. I'd be down for more things like that.
    You were Spider-Man then. You and Peter had agreed on it. But he came back right when you started feeling comfortable.
    You know what it means when he comes back

"You're not the better one, Peter. You're just older."
    --------------------
    Closet full of comics? Consider donating to my school! DM for details

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    Never been a fan of his faux Kirby art either....just to show that not everyone likes it. Figures are stiff and the backgrounds are frequently uninteresting or non-existent. So there! But then I am pretty sure you are being facetious with you retort.
    At least some artists re-invent themselves and try out different things but I find it kind of stagnant creatively.

So no, I am not buying this because Allred is doing it.
    I am right there with you. I have just never liked his style at all. Of coarse the rabid fans will insult anyone who says anything different. I like Slott a lot but nto enought o get over my dislike of Allred's art. I agree to me he just looks like a someone doing there best Kirby impression, and his style has not changed in decades from what I have seen.

The book is pretty awesome. Allreds' art was what drew me in first, but I also really like Slott's style of writing, particularly in this title.

BANNED

Reposting what I said in another thread:
    ----
    One of my absolute favorite titles in recent years and we're only four issues in. Where has Dan Slott been all the Surfer's life? He should have at least been on that abysmal cartoon about fifteen years ago.

I feel like someone finally asked the obvious question, "How do you take a concept like a shiny alien who rides a surfboard through the air and churn out nothing but mopey melodrama with him year after year?"
    ----

I'll admit that I'm not a fan of the artist most of the time, but I'm really liking their stuff on this book. It just fits. The colors are great too.

Greetings, Chicken!!! Mantis Girl 94's Avatar

Currently this is the best Marvel Book out there in my opinion!

(what else did you expect me to say)

Invincible Member

I've been enjoying it. It definitely has a grand cosmic scale, it's just that stakes aren't played out in the more typical grim and serious tone. And as others have pointed out, Allard's art kicks that aspect up a notch even further.

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    I am right there with you. I have just never liked his style at all. Of coarse the rabid fans will insult anyone who says anything different. I like Slott a lot but nto enought o get over my dislike of Allred's art. I agree to me he just looks like a someone doing there best Kirby impression, and his style has not changed in decades from what I have seen.
    It's undeniable that Mike's art is influenced by Kirby, but I wouldn't call him an imitator. You can see guys like Ditko, Wally wood, Dan DeCarlo, and a few others in his style.

To me a Kirby imitation would be something like what Giffen is doing over in DC's Forever People.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic Vega View Post

Really? Which issues are these?

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    It's undeniable that Mike's art is influenced by Kirby, but I wouldn't call him an imitator. You can see guys like Ditko, Wally wood, Dan DeCarlo, and a few others in his style.

To me a Kirby imitation would be something like what Giffen is doing over in DC's Forever People.
    Yeah agreed..i think he does have a subtle updated vibe.He does have a more organic ( maybe more doodle esque?)feel to his lines as well..btw k. giffen would readily admit that is by design as well..others were guys like jose Ladronn , i loved his kirby copycat style..

All great stuff..