Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

If Allred was off the art I'd be excited for it.

And yeah I don't buy the Surfer being a happy-go-lucky adventurer that this book seems to suggest. He is a naturally tragic character and is part of a tragic system of the universe, that of Galactus. Contrary to popular belief, certain comic characters do work in a darker setting.

I thought the Surfer stories attached to Infinity last year were great, and were drawn/written how I'd want a SS series to be. This current series is the furthest from that.
    Last edited by megaharrison; 08-10-2014 at 09:07 PM.

Are most of the fans of the current SS series (on this thread) previous Norrin Radd fans or did you just start liking him/following him with this Slott/Allred's version?

Quote Originally Posted by Viz View Post
    Are most of the fans of the current SS series (on this thread) previous Norrin Radd fans or did you just start liking him/following him with this Slott/Allred's version?
    I've read other Silver Surfer comics, but I never much cared for him before this.

Quote Originally Posted by megaharrison View Post

And yeah I don't buy the Surfer being a happy-go-lucky adventurer that this book seems to suggest. He is a naturally tragic character and is part of a tragic system of the universe, that of Galactus. Contrary to popular belief, certain comic characters do work in a darker setting.

I thought the Surfer stories attached to Infinity last year were great, and were drawn/written how I'd want a SS series to be. This current series is the furthest from that.
    I tend to agree. Which comics should I be looking for to find these Infinity books? The main series itself?

I tend to agree. Which comics should I be looking for to find these Infinity books? The main series itself?
    It's called infinity, against the tide. It's only two issues but it's pretty good

Quote Originally Posted by megaharrison View Post

Ive been a Silver Surfer fan for about 20 years now and I can tell you hes not as tragic as you like to think. Is his life a tragedy? Yes. But Norrin Radd is a very optimistic and positive guy. His is a noble soul so he laments his past wrongs but his classic stories where he acted depressed and miserable were due to being trapped in exile on earth. Once he was freed from exile he surrended to the wanderlust and raced accross the universe and was swept up in one battle after the next but at his heart he is an explorer. He used to be so direct and serious until the Immpossible Man taught him to lighten up.

He is a generally happy soul when not forced into Infinity wars, crusades, Annihilations or duties as a herald. He is a scientist who gets swept up in the wonderment of universal grandeur. In the new book hes been written more true to continuity than he has in quite a while. Its Dawn Greenwood who is helping him to once more lighten up and enjoy the ride. Hes been quite his old sourpuss self while in battle. But beyond galactic conflict he ponders exsistence and soars the infinite spaceways.
    Last edited by Drakeon; 08-11-2014 at 01:04 AM.
    "Dear World: the nation of mutantkind is watching you. Do not #$%& with us." -Cable-

Quote Originally Posted by Drakeon View Post
    Ive been a Silver Surfer fan for about 20 years now and I can tell you hes not as tragic as you like to think. Is his life a tragedy? Yes. But Norrin Radd is a very optimistic and positive guy. His is a noble soul so he laments his past wrongs but his classic stories where he acted depressed and miserable were due to being trapped in exile on earth. Once he was freed from exile he surrended to the wanderlust and raced accross the universe and was swept up in one battle after the next but at his heart he is an explorer. He used to be so direct and serious until the Immpossible Man taught him to lighten up.

He is a generally happy soul when not forced into Infinity wars, crusades, Annihilations or duties as a herald. He is a scientist who gets swept up in the wonderment of universal grandeur. In the new book hes been written more true to continuity than he has in quite a while. Its Dawn Greenwood who is helping him to once more lighten up and enjoy the ride. Hes been quite his old sourpuss self while in battle. But beyond galactic conflict he ponders exsistence and soars the infinite spaceways.
    I've been reading the Englehart series. And while there's plenty of angst for some chunks, there is definitely some fun bits, too. It's not like his first series, where he was just miserable all the time, constantly monologuing. That series was just annoying. The Englehart one is fine. I'm not generally a fan of Englehart's writing, and I wouldn't say his Silver Surfer run - at least what I've read so far - was a particularly great book. The new Elders he came up with were all terrible, and the plotting and dialogue were pretty meh. But at least the Surfer wasn't a miserable whine-ass all the time. He wasn't constantly emo.

So the Slott/Allred Surfer definitely feels like it's still faithful to Englehart's characterization. But a lot more enjoyable.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiamatty View Post
    I've been reading the Englehart series. And while there's plenty of angst for some chunks, there is definitely some fun bits, too. It's not like his first series, where he was just miserable all the time, constantly monologuing. That series was just annoying. The Englehart one is fine. I'm not generally a fan of Englehart's writing, and I wouldn't say his Silver Surfer run - at least what I've read so far - was a particularly great book. The new Elders he came up with were all terrible, and the plotting and dialogue were pretty meh. But at least the Surfer wasn't a miserable whine-ass all the time. He wasn't constantly emo.

So the Slott/Allred Surfer definitely feels like it's still faithful to Englehart's characterization. But a lot more enjoyable.
    For what it was, and reading it so many years ago I loved Englehart's run cause it was fun and crazy. You had Mantis, Elders, Galactus, Nova, In-Betweener, Ronan, Super-Skrull, and the abstracts. It was a wild ride, plot issues aside. Ron Marz run was filled with crossovers and 90's events but Ron Lim drew a pretty awesome Surfer. It went downhill from there but there was some fun for Norrin, especially when he started dating Alicia Masters and "silvering-down" to find his humanity. Dan Slott imho is giving us all parts of the Surfer's history with a fresh take of fun that's a breath of fresh air.
    "Dear World: the nation of mutantkind is watching you. Do not #$%& with us." -Cable-

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Drakeon View Post
    For what it was, and reading it so many years ago I loved Englehart's run cause it was fun and crazy. You had Mantis, Elders, Galactus, Nova, In-Betweener, Ronan, Super-Skrull, and the abstracts. It was a wild ride, plot issues aside. Ron Marz run was filled with crossovers and 90's events but Ron Lim drew a pretty awesome Surfer. It went downhill from there but there was some fun for Norrin, especially when he started dating Alicia Masters and "silvering-down" to find his humanity. Dan Slott imho is giving us all parts of the Surfer's history with a fresh take of fun that's a breath of fresh air.
    I haven't read the Englehart books yet, but I loved the Thanos stuff right after it, all the way up to Dynamo City (maybe issues 30-60?). I've got all the earlier ones now and most
    of the later ones in my read pile, and the descriptions sounded good for most of them. But I was pleasantly surprised how much I liked what I read. It's more light-hearted than I
    expecting (when Thanos isn't torturing him). I like that Slott's book is similar.

I am just curious to know whether Marvel has announced the future of this series, will Allred-Slott be replaced after a while the way it turned out with Warren Ellis on Moon Knight.
    I really want to see this series last a while, But I don't know how long until the character of Dawn starts to get annoying.

Extraordinary Member

I hope not, Allred is like 95% of the reason why I am picking up this book.

BANNED

The Surfer was one of the first comic book characters I was introduced to by my brother some 25 years ago when I was just getting old enough to think about something like comics (I was three). I've always enjoyed him, have a good many of his comics and always loved the cosmic corner of the Marvel Universe in general.

It's just good to see something fresh done with him, especially when it fits the concept and the character's natural sense of wonder so well.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by TresDias View Post
    The Surfer was one of the first comic book characters I was introduced to by my brother some 25 years ago when I was just getting old enough to think about something like comics (I was three). I've always enjoyed him, have a good many of his comics and always loved the cosmic corner of the Marvel Universe in general.

It's just good to see something fresh done with him, especially when it fits the concept and the character's natural sense of wonder so well.
    Sweet. I'm looking to get the first TPB.

Greetings, Chicken!!! Mantis Girl 94's Avatar

I have every single issue of every SS book, and even though writers and artists each have different interpretations of him I enjoy each and every one in its own way.

As a True SS fan how can I not?

Some I have enjoyed more than others and the current run I am enjoying it very, very much. I hope the creative team keeps on for a long time. After Slott finished with SSM I think his creative juices are being flowed towards the SS more and I am all for it!

Invincible Member

I've been a fan for years, but not really hardcore. I'd enjoy it when he would guest star in certain titles and I bought random issues of the series that started in the late 80's. I haven't read too much of the minis that have come out since then. I just really digging this fresh take on the character and his adventures.