Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Default Penguin the (Rumored) Villain of The Batman Movie?

https://www.cbr.com/batman-movie-penguin-villain-rumor/

How do we all feel about this. For one, I'd love if this turned out to be true instead of Deathstroke. For one, Penguin is ACTUALLY a Batman villain. Firstly, of all characters, Batman is the last one who needs to be stealing villains from other franchises. Secondly, Penguin should have an updated modern showing in film.

Though I do get that maybe some would want to see a villain who hasn't already been in film before like say Firefly or Clayface.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeeguy91 View Post
    https://www.cbr.com/batman-movie-penguin-villain-rumor/

How do we all feel about this. For one, I'd love if this turned out to be true instead of Deathstroke. For one, Penguin is ACTUALLY a Batman villain. Firstly, of all characters, Batman is the last one who needs to be stealing villains from other franchises. Secondly, Penguin should have an updated modern showing in film.

Though I do get that maybe some would want to see a villain who hasn't already been in film before like say Firefly or Clayface.
    Eh, Deathstroke is hardly a Teen Titans exclusive, but I like Penguin better and we haven't had a traditional Penguin on the big screen, even if I do love Batman Returns. Hope he's better than the Gotham version.

Batman Returns aside, I'm not sure I see Penguin as main villain material for a Batman movie, but he should definitely be a major player in the Gotham Underworld if used well.

I just hope he's not skinny.

I don't really have any hope for the next Batman movie. I'll see after the first trailer.

I'm just glad it's not mothereffing Joker again. I've always been a fan of the Penguin and felt he never gets the respect he deserves as a profound Bat-Villain. I think Toby Jones would be perfect for the role.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Skeleton View Post
    I'm just glad it's not mothereffing Joker again. I've always been a fan of the Penguin and felt he never gets the respect he deserves as a profound Bat-Villain. I think Toby Jones would be perfect for the role.
    I really have no interest to see any version of DCEU Batman fight Jared Leto's Joker.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I really have no interest to see any version of DCEU Batman fight Jared Leto's Joker.
    What about Cameron Monaghan? Would make an excellent live-action (real) Joker. Already about did so as Jerome Valeska on Gotham.

BANNED

He's neither main villain material nor a draw. If they're making a MCU style flick where the villain is secondary to everything else then I guess he can work. Should have gone with Hugo Strange.

Quote Originally Posted by Armor of God View Post
    He's neither main villain material nor a draw. If they're making a MCU style flick where the villain is secondary to everything else then I guess he can work. Should have gone with Hugo Strange.
    Since when has Hugo Strange become more of a film draw than Penguin? Don't get me wrong, he's a great villain, but he is unknown outside of comics and the Gotham show.

Also, all of Batman's most iconic rogues are easily main villain material with the right story and approach. Kind of surprised how little he seems to be thought of here.

BANNED

Hugo is main villain material, sorry but Penguin isn't. He's the resident jobber. He's iconic for appearing in the 60's show but thats all that he is. Please tell me of a major Penguin story by a major Batman writer in the last...well 40 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Armor of God View Post
    Hugo is main villain material, sorry but Penguin isn't. He's the resident jobber. He's iconic for appearing in the 60's show but thats all that he is. Please tell me of a major Penguin story by a major Batman writer in the last...well 40 years.
    Again, to the non-comic reader, what makes Hugo main villain material? Whether Penguin has had a good comic story or not is irrelevant to film, they make up their own stories. All that matters is the audience know who Penguin is. Besides, the best Hugo stories for me is Prey and Monster Men, and this film won't be adapting those stories.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    Eh, Deathstroke is hardly a Teen Titans exclusive, but I like Penguin better and we haven't had a traditional Penguin on the big screen, even if I do love Batman Returns. Hope he's better than the Gotham version.
    But he is most known for being a TT villain and that's where he originated. And again, DC shouldn't need to take from other rogues galleries to beef up Batman's. Its just kind of ridiculous to concentrate all your cool characters in just one franchise.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeeguy91 View Post
    But he is most known for being a TT villain and that's where he originated.
    I'm gonna say something controversial here, but bare wih me here - the audience, the film makers, and the Hollywood executives don't care. As long as he makes an interesting villain for Batman and makes money, that is all that matters.

Besides, Kingpin originated as a Spider-Man villain, and now he is Daredevil's main foe. Who can say that a hundred years from now Joker might be better known as a Superman villain, and Lex Luthor the arch foe of Wonder Woman. As long as the stories and characters are good it will be fine.

And until I see plans for a Teen Titans movie outside the Go! variety, why keep their villains in reserve? Heck, Deathstroke in Batman might do the impossible, greenlight a TT live action film.

And finally, Deathstroke has a long history with Robin/Nightwing, and he will more likely appear on a Batman movie long before Titans.

And again, DC shouldn't need to take from other rogues galleries to beef up Batman's. Its just kind of ridiculous to concentrate all your cool characters in just one franchise.
    One appearance won't make him a permanent Bat rogue, or keep him out of the Titans franchise.

I think it would be cool to see Penguin as the main villain. Cobblepot is the big crime lord in Gotham City I can see him using gangs, corrupt cops, and outside sources to take over Gotham while Batman is in Justice League fighting Darkseid and Joker/Harley are fighting Suicide Squad.

Fantastic Member Spencermalley935's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Batman Returns aside, I'm not sure I see Penguin as main villain material for a Batman movie, but he should definitely be a major player in the Gotham Underworld if used well.

I just hope he's not skinny.
    The Penguin absolutely is main villain material and he didn't need that awful characterization from Batman Returns to make him as such. He's one of the Batman's intelligent enemies (Batman's even admitted that he considers Penguin smarter than him) and one of the most influential crime lords in Gotham City.

Turining him into a goo-spitting, child-murdering, perverted sewer mutant was a slap in the face to who the Penguin is supposed to be.