Default Favorite science fiction stories in DC history

I was inspired by caj's post about mysteries and thought I'd branch out to other genres.

What are your favorite science fiction stories in DC history?

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Air Wave View Post
    I was inspired by caj's post about mysteries and thought I'd branch out to other genres.

Thanks Air Wave. I appreciate it.

My favorite was the first several issues of L.E.G.I.O.N '89 where they overthrow Colu. That entire planet was cold and machine-like just like a sci-fi movie or comic should be.

Last edited by caj; 05-31-2018 at 09:56 AM.

It's not really DC (it's Vertigo) but Transmetropolitan and Lobo: The Last Czarnian

Depends how you define science fiction I suppose but I love:

Kamandi - the original Jack Kirby run was a blatant Planet of the Apes rip-off but so much fun and beautiful art. The recent Kamandi Challenge(collection recently released) was a lot of fun also.

Hawkworld - completely new direction for the Hawks as done by Timothy Truman. Great 3-issue mini. Hit or miss series.

Legion of Super-Heroes - The first 20 issues or so of volume 5(Mark Waid writing, Barry Kitson art) was a lot of fun, with the LoSH trying to justify their existence

Green Lantern - Sinestro corps wars. Big cosmic adventure done right by Geoff Johns and Dave Gibbons

OMAC - 2011 New 52 reboot was about a human consciousness placed into a powerful robot form. Only lasted 8 issues but some Dan Didio/Keith Giffen fun(if they are to your tastes)

Most recently, the Cave Carson series(Young Animal/DC) has been good and with 12 issues is easy to find

I list those is chronological order(and now realize they are all dystopian takes on main characters).
    Last edited by etrumble; 05-31-2018 at 01:01 PM.

Most Silver Age Flash, Action Comics and Superman stories would count as Science Fiction.

Geoff Johns' Green Lantern Run, Action Comics run, Booster Gold run and The Dastardly Death of the Rogues Storyline from his Flash Run. Starlin Gates' Supergirl.
    “Somewhere, in our darkest night, we made up the story of a man who will never let us down.”

- Grant Morrison on Superman

BANNED

JLA: New Maps Of Hell (by Warren Ellis) is one of the only DCU stories I can think of I would label as proper science fiction.

I thought those old "Tales of the Green Lantern Corps" backups were great science fiction.

I also really liked "Cosmic Odyssey"

Quote Originally Posted by etrumble View Post

Green Lantern - Sinestro corps wars. Big cosmic adventure done right by Geoff Johns and Dave Gibbons

OMAC - 2011 New 52 reboot was about a human consciousness placed into a powerful robot form. Only lasted 8 issues but some Dan Didio/Keith Giffen fun(if they are to your tastes)
    Two great ones. I loved that OMAC book.

I'd also throw Great Darkness Saga up there.

Anything LEGION from 70s to 2000

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    I thought those old "Tales of the Green Lantern Corps" backups were great science fiction.

I also really liked "Cosmic Odyssey"
    In regards to "Cosmic Odyssey", I liked it too. I'll also add Jack Kirby's "Fourth World Trilogy".
    Last edited by K7P5V; 05-31-2018 at 05:31 PM. Reason: Made corrections.

Adam Strange : Planet Heist

Quote Originally Posted by Air Wave View Post

Star Hunters. A very enjoyable pre-Crisis science fiction series. Donovan Flint and his cohorts have never been heard from since COIE. Book was written by David Micheline. Don Newton drew the first issue.

Sandy Hausler