View Poll Results: Which of the one-hit Wonder Woman villains would you like to see return?

Voters
45. You may not vote on this poll
  • White Magician, created by William Messner-Loebs

8 17.78%
  • Dark Angel, created by John Byrne

5 11.11%
  • Devastation, created by Eric Luke

14 31.11%
  • Genocide, created by Gail Simone

2 4.44%
  • The Morrigan, created by J. Michael Stracyznski

1 2.22%
  • The First Born, created by Brian Azzarello

8 17.78%
  • Grail, created by Geoff Johns but used by James Robinson

7 15.56%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Fantastic Member

I voted White Magician. I loved his arc, and Diana has so few male villains. A villain who is concerned with his media coverage and image seems very current.

Dark Angel is too generic (basic witch) and too specific (the Donna Troy thing) to be interesting.

Devestation would be my second choice. Pretty much the only good thing about the Erik Luke run. Great costume, great conception. So good that Jimenez and Simone would steal elements in their runs.

Genocide. Dumb name, ugly look, borrowed origin. About the only interesting thing about her is what DC editorial forced-- the NOT Knockout-corpse origin.

The Morrigan. Sure. I don't really remember.

The First Born. He has a great look, but he seemed good for that one specific story. Might be used as hired muscle/dangerous wild card.

Grail. I never think offspring/ copies are a good idea. I haven't read most of her stories so I don't really know much about her, though.

I just reread the issues in question to refresh my memory of the Morrigan, Anann the Celt, Bellona the Roman and Enyo the Greek. They had an interesting symbol and something clever they did was needing Medusa's tears for a spell they forced her to remember life before her transformation and rubbed her nose in it until she began to cry. I like when comic book sorcerers have to take steps to make their magic happen, as opposed to simply reciting an incantation. That was my problem with Dark Angel, she seemed terribly one note and such a cliche. Similarly I never warmed to Morgan Le Fey (DC or Marvel) for the same reasons. I'd rather have Strife back, at least she was colorful.

WHITE MAGICIAN interesting character. Not GREAT, but good enough to be worth using again.

DARK ANGEL I want to say the idea has potential, but, needs a more coherent backstory.

*DEVASTATION (my choice) Deva was really cool! Neat power set that made it so you never really knew just what she'd do to be a threat.

GENOCIDE dumb idea.

THE MORRIGAN I'd never seen them before and I like the concept.

FIRST BORN As god-tier foes go this guy was legit..... he had the personality of a cudgel though.

GRAIL neat character concept. Not all the stories she's been used in were good though. :/ But the idea of a daughter of Darkseid who wreaks havoc in her father's name is great!
    Quote Originally Posted by RoamingGnome8 View Post
    I agree. Devastation just looks really cool with her taking on the appearance of a child and White Magician had the 'hero turned villain' storyline that I think could be reworked nicely by the right writer.

I would also have liked to see more done with the children of Cronos. Desdain 's power set and physical appearance alone was really interesting.
    Yeah, that's a villain team I'd like to see return.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mel Dyer View Post
    The votes for Grail and Devastation surprise me. I don't want to say anything that might be taken as critical of these characters, because I don't want to unfairly influence the poll.

I voted 'First Born'.
    Wanna know what makes Deva cool? BEHOLD!

The more I think about it, I could be up for a Bizarro and Genocide relationship a la Superman and Wonder Woman. Let their love wreak havoc.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaelforce View Post
    Not knowing what the full plot was intended to be, we can't say if the 'just clay' origin would work. For example, if Diana's success in the original plot depending on her being able to reach Knockout's true self in order to stop Genocide? Or if somehow being a new god gave Genocide powers or insight of some sort?

I doubt we'll ever know.
    I'm assuming that Knockout would have been a connecting link to set up a crossover with Secret Six, which GS was also writing at the time. Revealing that Genocide was built using Knockout's body would have been a dud of a revelation for a story self-contained in the pages of WW ... whose readers may or may not have even known who Knockout was, and wouldn't necessarily have been expected to feel anything as a result. But it would presumably have been devastating for readers of Secret Six. I'm guessing that the story was intended at the start to be a crossover, and the editorial mandate against using Knockout undermined that idea.

The First Born

But, tecnically i just want to return to Brian Azzarello and forget Rebirth and that garbage brother of Diana.

Btw, i need Eris back...

Eris was cool. she wasn't really a one-off though.

Quote Originally Posted by WonderScott View Post
    The more I think about it, I could be up for a Bizarro and Genocide relationship a la Superman and Wonder Woman. Let their love wreak havoc.
    thinking about this again... re-writing Genocide to be more of a Bizarro-Wonder Woman would make the character more interesting to me.

To me, Genocide had the perfect backstory to truly be a WW villain for the ages. And Deva is absolutely the clear choice t thoroughly fill the “dark reflection/twistes mirror image of our hero” trope. I am totally clueless as to why Deva was never used again, and of all of WW’s forgotten villains, she is the one I wish a WW movie sequel would adapt. Genocide is awesome, but they need to tweak her in a manner that further distances her away from the “female Doomsday” rep that she has gained.

I'm still sticking with Superwoman of Earth 3, if A.) she gets brought back to life and 2.) they stop leveraging the Superman mythos (main continuity) or Shazam mythos (animated movie, Justice League: Crisis on Two Earths) for her origins.

She needs Evil Amazonian origins from Earth 3 and I'm just the guy to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    thinking about this again... re-writing Genocide to be more of a Bizarro-Wonder Woman would make the character more interesting to me.
    I never loved the character (too many cooks in the kitchen with hampering Simone's original idea), but always saw her as pretty Bizarro-ish already. But, it's been a while since I reread Simone's run, so I could be wrong.

I never read it, but what I've seen made the character seem super-serious.

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    I'd say Devastation and White Magician have the most going for them.
    These are my Top 2 as well.

Dark Angel is probably the only one on this list I never wanna see again...
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Quote Originally Posted by WonderScott View Post
    I'm still sticking with Superwoman of Earth 3, if A.) she gets brought back to life and 2.) they stop leveraging the Superman mythos (main continuity) or Shazam mythos (animated movie, Justice League: Crisis on Two Earths) for her origins.

She needs Evil Amazonian origins from Earth 3 and I'm just the guy to do it.
    Yes, you are! Plus, I back you up. Superwoman for me as well with the evil E-3 Amazon origin!

Quote Originally Posted by Koriand'r View Post
    I just reread the issues in question to refresh my memory of the Morrigan, Anann the Celt, Bellona the Roman and Enyo the Greek. They had an interesting symbol and something clever they did was needing Medusa's tears for a spell they forced her to remember life before her transformation and rubbed her nose in it until she began to cry. I like when comic book sorcerers have to take steps to make their magic happen, as opposed to simply reciting an incantation. That was my problem with Dark Angel, she seemed terribly one note and such a cliche. Similarly I never warmed to Morgan Le Fey (DC or Marvel) for the same reasons. I'd rather have Strife back, at least she was colorful.
    Circe is the same thing. I also hate sorcerers who simply incantate, or worse, generate bolts of generic "magic" energy.
    Maybe that's why I have never cared for Circe like I feel I should.
    Now Morgan Le Fay (Marvel's)!! There's a character I wish someone would bring back and reenvision...